NGD Murphy Lab Les Paul

Brian1716

Reaction score
It’s perfect in every way in terms of feel and playability. The weight is also nice and light as I prefer. I’ve played about 4-5 of these and this one sounds and plays the best for sure. It’s a little bit more flamed than I normally go for. Sort of got the tiger stripe thing going. But I can’t seem to find a 1959 with a much more subtle flame. I still think it’s a great top but it’s my only hold up. Well, that and for some reason the bridge and stop bar are not very aged for some reason. And they have been on all the others I’ve seen but this one is shiny. Am I being too picky? Nothing is perfect I suppose but I’ve only got a few days to decide if it stays. I’m leaning towards it being a keeper but I don’t want any regrets on something like this. Keep or pass?

Attachments

• CF5DA3AB-32CC-49DF-81DD-F8562E3F4452.jpeg
    CF5DA3AB-32CC-49DF-81DD-F8562E3F4452.jpeg
    91.6 KB · Views: 269

MorphineNoir

Reaction score
WOW! GORGEOUS!

While we all have our own tastes, I will say that, for me, the extra flame is where it's at

hotshot

Reaction score
In my opinion, that thing is perfect !!!! Enjoy and have a great NGD.

searswashere

Reaction score
If all you need is aging the hardware that’s fairly straightforward: play it hard and/or soak them (youtube tutorials will know the concoction).

Tim Plains

Reaction score
Congrats. A lack of hardware aging has been a common complaint for a long time. Maybe they'll consistently get it right one day.

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
"It’s perfect in every way in terms of feel and playability. The weight is also nice and light as I prefer. I’ve played about 4-5 of these and this one sounds and plays the best for sure."

I think you got your answer right there.
The rest is not all that important.
If you had to go through 5 to get to this one, imagine how many
you would have to go through to have it 100% perfect.
And it's won't always be uphill. the next one might be the worst
you've ever encountered.

If you wanted a plain top you most likely would have to go '58.
I'm not a fan of spectacular flame tops but this one is just right.
I would keep it for ever.

:thumb:

Tollie

Reaction score
I see what you mean about the stop bar. I agree with you, but I would keep it.

dc007

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Just the right amount of flame for me

Brian1716

Reaction score
Congrats. A lack of hardware aging has been a common complaint for a long time. Maybe they'll consistently get it right one day.
Yeah I’ve heard that but this is the first I’ve seen. It’s not the end of the world. I just noticed it had a bit of shine where some others were extremely aged. It plays so well and it has such a great mid range without getting too dark or muddy. It’s definitely a keeper in terms of the more important areas like sound and playability.

1allspub

Reaction score
You can always age the hardware a bit more if you like. Easy. That said, if you play it regularly for a few months it'll start aging itself anyway. No way I'd let that stop me from keeping a guitar I otherwise liked.

As far as the top goes... again, tops pale in comparison to tone and playability. We've all had beautiful Les Pauls that just didn't quite deliver in the tone department... and more often than not they end up getting sold despite their beauty. Besides, it's far from an over-the-top, top.

But as always, it's your guitar, your money, your choice. Choose wisely. ;)

iluvchiclets

Reaction score
(That pic looks good enough to eat!)

You need a "bit" of flame, and that's a nice amount.
The burst? Excellent, and a nice dark red.

The nickel/chrome? Not too hard to age it a bit more. I think it's beautiful.

Mosster47

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That's a lot of cash to not be totally in love with it.
That's where I'm at. These Murphy's cost a fortune. If you're not in love with it from go it might be a good idea to move on from it.

Torshalla

Reaction score
Congrats! Go with your gut… if you don t feel 100% about it don t keep it. But if your gut tells you to keep it, then do so. You ll always be able to sell later anyway…

Latest Threads