NGD - Murphy Lab 59' Heavy Aged Slow Iced Tea

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Hi guys,

I hope you are all well and keeping safe. I recently sold off my 60th anniversary R9 and R0 and decided to leave a deposit on this aged Murphy Lab in slow iced tea. I must admit I was a bit hesitant at first but as soon as my dealer emailed me over some pics I was sold. It looks fantastic! the ageing is unbelievable, which is to be expected really. I was also checking out a light aged 57 gold top and I thought the ageing would be minimal on it but it also looked very impressive. The checking is really good. That's probably gonna be my next one to purchase no doubt but it would have to be a dark back.

I have a couple of other Murphy aged LP's a CC1 and a Kossoff and the slow iced tea's ageing is definitely as good as those if not better. It's hard to explain but once you see one in person then you'll definitely say "Ok I get it". Some may disagree but that's fine with me it's your opinion at the end of the day.

Anyway enough of me rambling on, here's some pics for you!

Enjoy!

Paul

Bobby Mahogany

Reaction score
Not the type of top I would choose for myself but that thing is SICK!

Very well done.
:thumb:

Haprom

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congrats Man, That Thing is Fucking Killer!

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Wow! That looks like an HM. Gibson really has made progress with the Nitro on these.

Congrats!

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
It has been over used I feel in past years, but this year its warranted, They have 'knocked it out of the park'. the whole thing, everything about it is drop dead gorgeous.

p.s. I think I messaged you about the R0 on facebook?, I changed my mind when I saw these new labs lol, I can say with certainty you made the right choice.

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
It has been over used I feel in past years, but this year its warranted, They have 'knocked it out of the park'. the whole thing, everything about it is drop dead gorgeous.

p.s. I think I messaged you about the R0 on facebook?, I changed my mind when I saw these new labs lol, I can say with certainty you made the right choice.
Thanks for the comments guys I really appreciate it! You did message me on FB. The R0 finally sold and went off to Scotland. It arrived with the new owner on thurs and he loves it. Glad it went to a good home.

You're right to change your mind! They look unbelievable! If you get a chance to go into a store that has them check them out. I got this one in Guitar Guitar in Epsom and they had quite a few. Ultra heavy aged in poppy burst and a Kindred burst. Both looked awesome! Also as I mentioned the 57 gold top in light aged looked so good the checking was excellent. I was speechless!

I expected to see a similar finish to a VOS but with a tiny bit of wear to be honest but this is something else. Definitely on the list as the next one lol

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
yeah i have a 57 gold top already, want a '58 next, not sure what to do about my 60th anni R0, feel its going to be a tough sell now, what with these new Murphy labs out in the shops.

FadedLP

Reaction score
Wow nice. I can’t wait to pick up one of these too...still not sure which finish I like more. The golden poppy ones that I’ve seen look amazing!

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Wow nice. I can’t wait to pick up one of these too...still not sure which finish I like more. The golden poppy ones that I’ve seen look amazing!
I've seen one of those in heavy aged, they look fantastic! And the Kindred Burst in ultra heavy looks good as well. Whichever one you choose you can't go wrong really.

teleboli

Reaction score
Congrats Paulg2uk. Looks really great.

What's the weight on yours and what's the neck profile like?

Also curious how the rolled fingerboard edges feel?

Paulg2uk

Reaction score
Congrats Paulg2uk. Looks really great.

What's the weight on yours and what's the neck profile like?

Also curious how the rolled fingerboard edges feel?
Thank you, not too sure on the weight to be honest but it's average for a LP. Probably around 9 pounds I reckon. Neck profile is really comfortable I'd say it's bang in the middle for a 59" not too thick or thin. And the rolled edges feel good as well. It just makes you wanna play all the time!

I have a few CS LP's including a couple of collectors choice ones and they all have their own thing going on but I have to say with this Murphy Lab it's probably the best one I've ever owned. You just know when you've snagged a good one, it looks great, plays great and sounds great.

I was going to put some Cream T Whisker buckers in there but I'm loving the custom buckers at the moment I must say.

Brek

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I've seen one of those in heavy aged, they look fantastic! And the Kindred Burst in ultra heavy looks good as well. Whichever one you choose you can't go wrong really.
yeah i seen a few heavy aged in the flesh now, they look spectacular, I would have a hard time choosing a VOS over one now. I removed the VOS on my R0 so it was like factory new if it had been bought in the sixties.

@Paul, i read somewhere that these custombuckers are a different brew, mine is certainly more sensitive compared to the 2020 ones i have, which i am finding hard to control my hand noises because of, I have got better, but these pickups reveal my amateur right hand. Which, is still a work in progress, quite pleased with where I am now compared to a year ago though.

Last edited:

Latest Threads