NGD: MIM Fender Standard Tele!!! UPDATE!!!

DrewGR

Reaction score
It's finally here!!! In Arctic White, it looks completely white under "heavy" lighting and cream in normal.

I'll just see if I can objectively mention some stuff here.

Let's start with the good ones.

- The guitar is flawless as far as finish is concerned. Stays in tune as good as the Lester so the keys aren't going anywhere!

- The satin finished neck feels awesome! Modern C shape, certainly smaller than my Sudio's 50s but not in a bad way, just different. Great feel to it! The glossed maple fretboard feels silky smooth and is a pleasure to play on.

- The frets are medium-jumbo, shorter but wider than the ones on the Studio. It does make bending very odd, not hard but odd, but sliding is much easier without getting your fingers hurt all the time.

- The bridge pup is actually good, it does remind me a bit of the EMGs that I love, maybe because of it's ceramic magnet, and in my setup it CAN do metal. But it will be replaced because this guitar is meant to serve the vintage, tele-tone purpose.

Now the bad ones.

- I'd love to call the neck pup dark, but it isn't. It's muddy as hell. The middle position seems good but the neck is unacceptable. In any case both pups will leave this guitar and a set of CS 51 Nocasters will probably come and settle in their place.

- The jack is tightened, but the metal barrel thingy keeps moving and busting my..... nerves. This has no effect on the sound what-so-ever but will need to be fixed so that I don't lose it every time I hit the cable with my leg.

On the whole, I am very pleased with the guitar. It needed a setup to get where I like it and to get that Tele "pop" but that is to be expected of any new guitar. The shortcomings like the jack and the pups (one of them in my case), I also expected by having done some research before buying.

So from today I am a very happy Telecaster owner! I feel that it is the polar opposite of what I had until today (LP with EMGs).

I am very happy to be able to be this versatile.

My list for the very short future is:
Vintage 3 saddle bridge
CS 51 Nocaster pups
and that's it!

I had been thinking about changing the PG to a black one but it does look cool this way so for the time being it'll stay put.

UPDATE!!! Just got back from "my" luthier/tech. Turns out he had a couple of MIM ceramic pickup sets that people left there after swapping pups. So I got him to change my neck pup with another one real quick.
This is certainly more like it! The one the guitar came with was definitely a dud. This one is more bell like and I am liking it very much! No comparison between them!

I got very very lucky today!!!

RaSTuS26

Reaction score
Glad you had your itch scratched, sweet looking Tele, congrats and HNGD.

Indyclone

Reaction score
nice!

I had one too, white with maple, a mint guard looked great on it. I swapped out the pickups and the bridge pretty quickly, but I loved the neck on it. kinda wish I didn't sell that one.

Dirtyclinic

Reaction score
That is cool. I have a MIM Strat in arctic white. The neck pup on it is also very dark and sounds very muddy if I strum chords using only the neck. I am basically too cheap right now to swap the pickups out though. My pickguard has this cool black kinda tortoise shell pattern to it.

beaner

Banned
Reaction score
nice tele man! I was about to pick up a burst one from guitar center but my wife kept complaining about how ugly they look, i think shes nuts. I ended up getting a MIM FSR Strat its the MIM version of the David Gilmour with the "vintage" voiced ceramic pups.

What pickups come in the MIM teles? Same as the MIA?

I went to guitar center today to pick up my free strings for the month and played a tele they had in there and it was white just like this one and man it almost made me want to take my srat back and do an exchage. I love the way teles play they just have that no bullshit feel to them they just feel right.

DrewGR

Reaction score
That is cool. I have a MIM Strat in arctic white. The neck pup on it is also very dark and sounds very muddy if I strum chords using only the neck. I am basically too cheap right now to swap the pickups out though. My pickguard has this cool black kinda tortoise shell pattern to it.
My feelings exactly! Everything just sounds better on the middle position rather than on the neck!

DrewGR

Reaction score
nice tele man! I was about to pick up a burst one from guitar center but my wife kept complaining about how ugly they look, i think shes nuts. I ended up getting a MIM FSR Strat its the MIM version of the David Gilmour with the "vintage" voiced ceramic pups.

What pickups come in the MIM teles? Same as the MIA?

I went to guitar center today to pick up my free strings for the month and played a tele they had in there and it was white just like this one and man it almost made me want to take my srat back and do an exchage. I love the way teles play they just have that no bullshit feel to them they just feel right.
So you went with a totally different guitar! She probably thinks Teles are ugly right? My father-in-law has a 68 Tele, bought in 68 actually, and he has left it in the case for 35+ years because he bought it and then after 3-4 years decided (after playing it like hell, looks like crazy reliced) that it looks really ugly and played an ugly a** Washburn for all this time!

Pickups are ceramic for MIM, different form MIA.

joeobrien

Reaction score
Happy NGD! That's a lovely guitar.

I saw this exact Tele here in Dubai in a guitar shop recently and it really does look very cool. In fact, hanging on the wall, it looked much better than the MIA models they had. The off-white/cream finish is very classy and stylish - you can just imagine sitting in a bar somewhere strumming some jazz chords with it :cool:

It's good to hear what you make of it - the pros and cons. I'm debating myself whether to get a MIM Tele or a MIA one. It's not an easy call to make - there's a significant price difference. I have a MIM Strat at present and it's "OK" but I recently played a 2012 Strat and it was way better. I guess I'll need to work out whether there is such a big difference between MIA and MIM Teles before grabbing one. I'm pretty sure my next guitar will be a Tele though... they are so cool.

Let us know how the upgrades work out?

Cheers! (I'm envious:thumb:)

DrewGR

Reaction score
Happy NGD! That's a lovely guitar.

I saw this exact Tele here in Dubai in a guitar shop recently and it really does look very cool. In fact, hanging on the wall, it looked much better than the MIA models they had. The off-white/cream finish is very classy and stylish - you can just imagine sitting in a bar somewhere strumming some jazz chords with it :cool:

It's good to hear what you make of it - the pros and cons. I'm debating myself whether to get a MIM Tele or a MIA one. It's not an easy call to make - there's a significant price difference. I have a MIM Strat at present and it's "OK" but I recently played a 2012 Strat and it was way better. I guess I'll need to work out whether there is such a big difference between MIA and MIM Teles before grabbing one. I'm pretty sure my next guitar will be a Tele though... they are so cool.

Let us know how the upgrades work out?

Cheers! (I'm envious:thumb:)
I'll post how the upgrades work out (presumably to make it better!) hopefully at the next string change!

I'm not really educated as far as MIA Fenders go. They were way out of my price range anyway so it wasn't even an option. The pickups are certainly different (Alnico in MIA and ceramic in MIM) along with some other things.

What I can say is that the switch is pretty robust with a good feel to it, there are no PC Boards that I have seen in another thread and the pots are full sized CTS.

If you have the option to play the guitar before you buy I'm sure that you'll pick the right one for you. I didn't have that "luxury" so it was kind of a hit or miss. (Thank God it was a hit!) :laugh2:

CN24

Reaction score
HNGD! Love alpine white on any guitar, awesome on tele.

Latest Threads