NGD MIJ Cortez Set Neck!

stilllifer

Reaction score
Hey everyone. Picked up this beauty today - not much history on Cortez guitars and I've never seen one here in Canada until today - they are almost certain Matsumoku from what I have read. I'm guessing late 70's. Almost 10lbs - solid mahogany body for sure. Original tuners. Someone swapped out the original pups for Epiphone (not sure what brand) but they sound pretty aggressive. You can feel the chords through your fingers and sounds awesome through my JMP! Love the burnt orange colour - shows the grain really well! Lots of discolouration in the binding as well! MOP Cortez name and diamond inlay.

El Greco

Reaction score
Wow that looks great! I love cherry Customs! It would look even better with a 5ply black pickguard! HNGD!!

brokentoeswalker

Reaction score
That looks like it's living up to it's namesake ! Congrats bud and thanks for sharin'

Mowgli5555

Reaction score
That is one of the nicest Cortez LP's I have seen. Although, I am not too sure this one is Matsumoku.
Matsumoku mostly used 3 piece (5 piece) maple, mahogany necks and usually have his serial number style and print.

However, I could be wrong, and have been before. Matsumoku mostly used Maxon pickups (MMK), and some of his earlier set necks even have a small position bolt in the tenon joint area.
If you ever get the pickups out, it would be interesting to see its construction. Looks solid, congrats. Josh

warmachine

Reaction score
Knock your fist on the body just beneath the tailpiece. Does it make a hollow sound? I bet it won't be and that's why it's so hefty.

workerunit

Reaction score
I have exactly the same guitar. I bought it brand new around 1977. Yeah it rocks.

stilllifer

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Workerunit - great to know it's from '77. Same colour? Do you know where yours was made? I am not sure whether Uncle Mats or not. Warmachine - def not hollow!
I did end up replacing the Epiphone pups that were in it - sounded kinda dull and boomy in the mids. No low end definition. I put some Rockfield Mafia pups in and they sound fantastic! Couldn't afford the Suhr Doug Aldrich I wanted.
Ceramic pups sound great in this guitar! Strung with 9's and it kills now!
Anyway, now I know this is a solid body with ply top. Took a couple of shots before the Rockfields went in.

Ohjay

Reaction score
However, I could be wrong, and have been before. Matsumoku mostly used Maxon pickups (MMK)
Just a tiny correction here.. MMK = Matsumoku Kogyou, thus their own pickups that they manufactured themselves. But Matsumoku did use Maxxon pickups(at least for the early Aria Pro guitars).

OP, the lack of "screw in tenon" would suggest that it's not made by Matsumoku. They basically used that construction method for every Les Paul they made(from what I've seen at least).

stilllifer

Reaction score
Just a tiny correction here.. MMK = Matsumoku Kogyou, thus their own pickups that they manufactured themselves. But Matsumoku did use Maxxon pickups(at least for the early Aria Pro guitars).

OP, the lack of "screw in tenon" would suggest that it's not made by Matsumoku. They basically used that construction method for every Les Paul they made(from what I've seen at least).

Thanks Ohjay. Maybe Workerunit knows where his was made. I'd love to know.

Mowgli5555

Reaction score

Thanks for that. I had never been able to get definite pickup info on these guitars.
I have just seen MMK-45, 65, and 75 stamped pickups. 45's and 65's seem to be in most Les Paul style guitars. Josh

workerunit

Reaction score
Thanks everyone! Workerunit - great to know it's from '77. Same colour? Do you know where yours was made? I am not sure whether Uncle Mats or not. Warmachine - def not hollow!
I did end up replacing the Epiphone pups that were in it - sounded kinda dull and boomy in the mids. No low end definition. I put some Rockfield Mafia pups in and they sound fantastic! Couldn't afford the Suhr Doug Aldrich I wanted.
Ceramic pups sound great in this guitar! Strung with 9's and it kills now!
Anyway, now I know this is a solid body with ply top. Took a couple of shots before the Rockfields went in.

Mine is exactly like yours, solid mahogany colored. I believe mine had a "Made in Japan" sticker on the back of the headstock when I bought it new way back when, but its been many, many years ago and I am not sure.

Latest Threads