NGD: Martin

Matt_21

Reaction score
Hey guys,
I just picked this up yesterday.
1986 Martin D28. I love it so far. My only complaint is the bass is a bit...lacking.
I'm going to try different strings on it. Should liven it up a bit.

I'll add more pics when I have a chance. The back is beautiful. And I love the lighter lines on the top. Looks like racing stripes in a muscle car.

Attachments

Matt_21

Reaction score
It's got 12s on it now. Earthwoods. I've tried them in the past on my previous D28 and didn't like them.
I'm going to try Elixirs because that's my go to. I may end up with Mediums but usually play lights.
I'll take it into consideration though.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
D'Addario EJ17. Try one set and give them a chance to grow on you. Seriously. If you need to bend strings, stick with the 12s, but the 13s will drive that top like nothing else.

I'm not a fan of coated strings on an acoustic. Something raw and primal about the EJ17s ...

Get (or give) the D-28 a proper setup if it already does not play to your liking.

Matt_21

Reaction score
D'Addario EJ17. Try one set and give them a chance to grow on you. Seriously. If you need to bend strings, stick with the 12s, but the 13s will drive that top like nothing else.

I'm not a fan of coated strings on an acoustic. Something raw and primal about the EJ17s ...

Get (or give) the D-28 a proper setup if it already does not play to your liking.
I'll look into them and see if I can find some for a good price online. Thanks.

It's set up REALLY well. Plays so easy.

NorlinBlackBeauty

Reaction score
Glad it plays well!

EJ17s can easily be had for less than $5 a set. MF ...

They last well enough assuming you wipe them down after playing.

G Man

Reaction score

This, pretty much to a T. As much as I like the comfort of lights on my acoustics, a dread really needs mediums to properly push that big old top. And D'Addario's and Martins are like PB&J.

Nice looking guitar, love me some Martin acoustic.

MooCheng

Reaction score
Congrats, beautiful guitar,

as already said EJ 17's are a good string to start with, I like M150's too,
the Earthwounds not so much, the bass strings went thump within days

Matt_21

Reaction score
Here's a quick sound clip from the other night. Has the Earthwoods but, I have EJ17s medium on order.

Latest Threads