NGD - LTD EC-256

Mr Insane

Reaction score
I debated whether to post this here or The Other Guitar's section, but I'd say the body shape annoys Gibson enough and you guys in this section are cooler to talk with anyway.

I was starting to want a cheaper humbucker guitar for gigs when I didn't want to worry about bringing my Gibson. An LTD crossed my mind as acceptable solution. I swear the local guitar shop can read my mind as they just got this used.

IMG_20210226_204412_268.jpg

LTD EC-256 with a Seymour Duncan JB in the bridge. The neck pickup is some cheap POS that I will replace with a P94 I have laying around.

Skinnier neck than what I usually prefer, but it's fun to play.

soliloquy

Reaction score
happy new guitar day!!! hope its treating you well! would you upgrade anything on it? the hardware? the nut?

how are the frets on this?
i keep hearing so many mixed reviews on the frets. either they are SUPER GOOD, or SUPER BAD.
I am siding with the 'super bad' group only because i know people who are happy with whatever guitar comes their way, and dont fuss over if the frets have grit or arent polished enough, or there are random high/low frets. the only thing that bothers them is fret buzz in the lower E string.

LTD and ESP is rather rare in my part of the world, so if i do buy it, it would have to be site unseen. also not liking how the price of the EC-256 has gone up so much over the last decade. When i first came across these, it was at about $250 Canadian. Now, its going for $750 CAD. By the numbers, the EC1000 series is going for about $999-1250. So it isn't that big a jump in price for the two. And EC 400-500 series is somewhere in between in terms of price

i really want to get the EC-256 in white and mod the hell out of it. But if i'm going to put another $100+ to do a fret job on it, then may as well get the EC1001T in white, and just change the pickups and hardware on it. At least i'd get better frets and ebony board.

Last edited:

Mr Insane

Reaction score
happy new guitar day!!! hope its treating you well! would you upgrade anything on it? the hardware? the nut?

how are the frets on this?
i keep hearing so many mixed reviews on the frets. either they are SUPER GOOD, or SUPER BAD.
I am siding with the 'super bad' group only because i know people who are happy with whatever guitar comes their way, and dont fuss over if the frets have grit or arent polished enough, or there are random high/low frets. the only thing that bothers them is fret buzz in the lower E string.

LTD and ESP is rather rare in my part of the world, so if i do buy it, it would have to be site unseen. also not liking how the price of the EC-256 has gone up so much over the last decade. When i first came across these, it was at about $250 Canadian. Now, its going for $750 CAD. By the numbers, the EC1000 series is going for about $999-1250. So it isn't that big a jump in price for the two. And EC 400-500 series is somewhere in between in terms of price

i really want to get the EC-256 in white and mod the hell out of it. But if i'm going to put another $100+ to do a fret job on it, then may as well get the EC1001T in white, and just change the pickups and hardware on it. At least i'd get better frets and ebony board.
The only thing I am going to change out is the crappy aftermarket pickup in the neck position.

No complaints about the hardware. I haven't noticed any issues with the nut.

I am very picky about fret quality. No issues on this guitar.

This one was used and listed for $399 USD, and I just traded some unused gear of mine. This guitar is serving the purpose of when I don't feel comfortable with bringing my LP Standard to the gig for whatever reason.

From what you described, the EC1000 probably would be the better option for you.

Latest Threads