NGD: LP Standard 60s Unburst, another first timer here

Frethead

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have been lurking for awhile. Lately I've seen quite a few NGD threads of people who have just acquired their first Les Paul, so I figured I'd share mine also. The Les Paul has always been my dream guitar. No particular year or color really, just a genuine, authentic (nudge nudge) Les Paul. I've owned other single cut guitars but never could afford a real LP until recently. I could've gotten something like a Studio a long time ago, but I always knew that it wouldn't satisfy me for the long haul, so I waited. And waited. And then, just two weeks ago, I was finally able to acquire my first ever Les Paul (first Gibson for that matter), a Standard 60s Unburst, and she clocks in at 9 lbs 14oz. (I actually really like the weight btw, I tend to be less careful with light guitars)

I just want to say that I feel fortunate that right when I'm able to afford one and take the plunge, it's the same year that Gibson goes back to the basics. Not to knock anyone else's guitars, but I'm so glad I missed the years of PCBs and robot tuners. Anyway, the guitar is about as good as I could've hope for cosmetic wise. The binding on the treble side of fretboard is a bit sketchy in a couple parts but nothing terrible. The fretboard did arrive super dry, but I put some bore oil on it and it's a lot better now. Also, the nut isn't that great, it just looks cheap to me. I'll probably replace it with bone eventually. Other than those minor things, it's pretty flawless cosmetically. But, most importantly, this thing is a dream to play. I've played some Les Pauls here and there but those were all floor models, so not always the best condition nor set-up well. The place I got it from did a free set-up on it before shipping it out, and this thing blows away any other guitars I've played. All I had to do was adjust the intonation a bit on the A string, not much else.

I did play and try out the stock pickups for the first couple weeks until a couple days ago I just couldn't help myself and put in a set of Wolfetone Marshallheads that I had lying around. While swapping pickups, I took a page (pun intended) from my two favorite guitarists and left the bridge cover off (ala Jimmy), and also turned around the neck pickup (Green), since the magnet is flipped for out of phase anyway I might as well go all the way! Probably not for everyone, but I really dig the look of it. Only thing is that aged cover doesn't match the new nickel hardware. Meh, oh well, give it time. Thanks for reading if you made it this far, and I'm totally about to blow up this thread with some pics:

untitled1.jpg

untitled2.jpg

untitled3.jpg

untitled4.jpg

untitled5.jpg

untitled6.jpg

Daniel.S

Reaction score
Hey everyone, I'm new here but have been lurking for awhile. Lately I've seen quite a few NGD threads of people who have just acquired their first Les Paul, so I figured I'd share mine also. The Les Paul has always been my dream guitar. No particular year or color really, just a genuine, authentic (nudge nudge) Les Paul. I've owned other single cut guitars but never could afford a real LP until recently. I could've gotten something like a Studio a long time ago, but I always knew that it wouldn't satisfy me for the long haul, so I waited. And waited. And then, just two weeks ago, I was finally able to acquire my first ever Les Paul (first Gibson for that matter), a Standard 60s Unburst, and she clocks in at 9 lbs 14oz. (I actually really like the weight btw, I tend to be less careful with light guitars)

I just want to say that I feel fortunate that right when I'm able to afford one and take the plunge, it's the same year that Gibson goes back to the basics. Not to knock anyone else's guitars, but I'm so glad I missed the years of PCBs and robot tuners. Anyway, the guitar is about as good as I could've hope for cosmetic wise. The binding on the treble side of fretboard is a bit sketchy in a couple parts but nothing terrible. The fretboard did arrive super dry, but I put some bore oil on it and it's a lot better now. Also, the nut isn't that great, it just looks cheap to me. I'll probably replace it with bone eventually. Other than those minor things, it's pretty flawless cosmetically. But, most importantly, this thing is a dream to play. I've played some Les Pauls here and there but those were all floor models, so not always the best condition nor set-up well. The place I got it from did a free set-up on it before shipping it out, and this thing blows away any other guitars I've played. All I had to do was adjust the intonation a bit on the A string, not much else.

I did play and try out the stock pickups for the first couple weeks until a couple days ago I just couldn't help myself and put in a set of Wolfetone Marshallheads that I had lying around. While swapping pickups, I took a page (pun intended) from my two favorite guitarists and left the bridge cover off (ala Jimmy), and also turned around the neck pickup (Green), since the magnet is flipped for out of phase anyway I might as well go all the way! Probably not for everyone, but I really dig the look of it. Only thing is that aged cover doesn't match the new nickel hardware. Meh, oh well, give it time. Thanks for reading if you made it this far, and I'm totally about to blow up this thread with some pics:

View attachment 418483
View attachment 418476
View attachment 418477
View attachment 418478
View attachment 418479
View attachment 418480
Congrats!
That’s a beauty for sure!
I did the same to mine.
F852AE26-00D3-4969-ABB9-4568612F62D4.jpeg

anorton

Reaction score
That is a beautiful guitar! Congratulations on your first Gibson Les Paul. Play it in good health.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
I love the "Dreamy" flame,.... awesome color. A set of nice aged top-hats would complete the "page-green" look.

Enjoy in good health amigo :cheers:

jstarr823

Reaction score
Nice! I'd love to see double creams in that.

Christosterone

Premium Member
Reaction score
Fan freaking tastic...congrats and welcome to the cult :h5:

i love bursts that look like this:

Overture

Reaction score
Congrats on the new gutiar! I just picked myself up a 60's unburst last week as well. I don't know if it's being done on purpose, or if it's just a coincidence, but mine is also super flamey, compared to the 6-7 other standard 50's and 60's that I played in other finishes. I have black pickup rings and speed knobs on the way, and a Duncan Custom 5 for the bridge.
UB 1.jpg
UB 2.jpg

Leumas

Reaction score
Stupid name, great color! I debated between un-burst and bourbon burst when I got mine. I went with bourbon, but those "uns" are dead sexy.

Roxy13

Reaction score
Nice to see some really beautiful tops on these!

RocketKing

Reaction score
Happy NGD! The finish reminds me of the 2013 caramel burst

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, very sweet for sure, loving the Unburst.

redcoats1976

Reaction score
have to say those un-bursts all seem to have great tops.enjoy it in good health.

bungle

Reaction score
Nice guitars gents. Enjoy them units:thumb: