NGD: Low Volume Gutierrez Single Cut Hunk of Wood

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Picked this off of Reverb. Its a great player. It was a small risk not being a familiar brand or maker, but I'm glad I chanced it. The guy I bought if from used it on a lot of recordings, and also uses a lot of ESP single cuts which this would fit in well with. Had a good conversation with the guy. Its actually quite well made, and a very solid guitar. It has the feel of a broken in Gibson. You can tell that it wasn't made with a CNC machine which for this guitar is great.

It basically has an ESP Eclipse body shape and cut. The wood appears to be korina all the way through, neck through construction. I don't know if thats for sure the wood type, but is sure looks like it. I'm not sure what the dark finish is. The dark isn't a stain because you can start to see where its worn down to the blond korina color on some of the edges. The neck is a natural with oil. It has a well played, gigged, but not beat up vibe to to. The wood is kind of naturally distressed looking with the finish. Overall I'm pretty happy with it. It has a very good sounding, tight and a little bright as compared to other Les Pauls. I'm pretty sure it has some chambering under the top, but I can't tell for sure. The knuckle knocking seems to tell me it might be. Research shows the builder made a few guitars for some local AZ people and some member of sevenstring.

Cost less than a higher end Epi

25.5 scale
Bareknuckle Aftermath
pretty sure stainless jumbo frets on a very dark ebony board.
Black body binding.
Strange pickup electronics - volume with kill push pull, and the other is a pickup selector. No tone. I like the pickup selector, not sure what the point is off the kill switch, but that seems very artist specific.

Attachments

soliloquy

Reaction score
thats really neat looking. cant find any info on this builder, so you did great in scoring that!

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Very, very nice. Hits all of my buttons.
Me too. I was looking at getting an ESP and still want one. This is shaped similarly, so check 1. If I was going to do a custom build, it would be close to this.

Wanted a single cut in 25.5 - check

Wanted a neck through - check

I’m pretty sure stainless steel frets - Second owner who I bought it from wasn’t sure But based on how much it’s been played and the amount of fret wear whatever the wire is pretty good - maybe check

Wanted ebony fretboard, and was hoping to find one with no inlays. It’s odd, but I like guitars with no inlays - check

I like natural unfinished guitars. Sure I like the crazy figured tops and beautiful finishes, but I typically look at them more than I play them. I get anxiety about dings, And it’s hard to take a $5000 guitar with a perfect finish and just lay out on the couch and play. That’s one reason I like relic Stratocaster customs - no worry! I made an exception for my modern eagle because I just love the guitar so much, And even though it’s got a crazy figured top it has a thin satin intro finish in the whole Guitar just feels like a good hunk o wood.

I like the natural wood with rubbed oil and wax finishes - check.

I love string though, and prefer them along with the single wrap around. I kind of want an R4 with the single wraparound bridge tail piece combo. I just feel like they’re more comfortable to play when you’re chunking along - check

Other little things I liked about it too. I haven’t had a guitar with hipshot locking tuners but man they’re really nice. The glow in the dark side that’s a pretty cool never had a guitar with those either. I’ve been wanting to try some bare knuckle pick ups and a check that box as well.

I might eventually strip the guitar down all the way to the beautiful blonde wood and seal it back up. The green that’s under the semi transparent finish is pretty nice.

tmpphx

Reaction score
That is built by my friend and fellow luthier Brent Guttierez here in Phoenix. He is a small builder and does repairs professionally for a local music store. One of the nicest guys I've ever met, humble and very talented.

bikerdude2

Reaction score
I believe I had one of his strat style guitars years ago. It was solid for sure.

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I hope to find more of them. I haven’t seen any other singlecut but I bet they exist!

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That is built by my friend and fellow luthier Brent Guttierez here in Phoenix. He is a small builder and does repairs professionally for a local music store. One of the nicest guys I've ever met, humble and very talented.
I wish he was still making them.

Latest Threads