NGD! Lovely 2009 Melody Maker - Rosewood or Granadillo?

BWOTW

Reaction score
I found someone was selling this little gem for very little and I couldn't resist. Featherweight, great sustain, and the pickup doesn't sound as bad as I thought (probably sounds better than my stock '65 Melody maker pickup). I'm thinking big project guitar with this: refinish, P90s (maybe even Filtertrons...), we'll see.

I'n not sure what the fretboard timber is, though. Specs say Rosewood (http://www.gibson.com/Products/Electric-Guitars/Melody-Maker/Gibson-USA/Melody-Maker/Specs.aspx), but this look more like Granadillo or other alternative woods to me, much more colored than my other RW boards.

Not looking to bitch or anything, I think the board's lovely. I'm just curious. What do you think?

MooCheng

Reaction score
just guessing its rosewood, beautiful guitar btw.

have just checked your pics with an old Ibanez I know is granadillo I happen to have in reach. Yous looks a lot more open grained with a lot more character....although bits of wood do vary

Tone Lord

Reaction score
Congrats on the new MM guitar. I have one - same year and same colour as yours. It’s definately rosewood. Great little, fun guitar and good for travel or taking over to a friends place. Good to teach the kids on too. I like the pickup in it, it’s just enough, I haven’t found a need to change it. Enjoy playing your new MM, it’s a real treat.

BWOTW

Reaction score
Thanks guys! Might be RW, I don't know, it looks the same kind of reddish brown than a SigT I used to own, and that had Granadillo. Either way, it's a beauty.

Here's a quick soundclip!

LocoTex

Reaction score
Rethink that pickup change - I have a 2007 and that pickup can get real close to a P90 with some gain. I wouldn't change a thing on mine.

Oh, and it's rosewood.

mudface

Non-Deadbeat/Non-Prominent
Double Platinum Supporter
Premium Member
Reaction score
Rosewood...... and a nice MM.:cheers:

Lloyd_m

Reaction score
Congrats on the MM. Almost bought a NOS one a couple of years ago, seem like great guitar for not much money.

That rosewood on yours looks red af. Almost looks like my Granadillo board Junior:

Last edited:

My Les Paul Classifieds