NGD: Les Paul Standard Mahogany Top

smk506

Reaction score
Nice dude! I’ve got a 2015 all mahogany traditional that I really enjoy. The all hog LPs are really special imo.
EB3B080F-3779-44BC-B42D-F8DE3D64C8FD.jpeg

Arf

Reaction score
My last few Lester’s have been flamed out or gold…

found a completely untouched example of a 2016 Mahogany Standard..

i love Brown guitars though this one is more copper than I expected..awesome color imho…

these pics are from when I unboxed it an hour ago so pics are terrible…I’ll add good ones tomorrow but I can’t stop playing it…also it’s lacking a bigsby…can’t decide on b7 or b5…I’ll install it tomorrow before I add pics

Also will add a pic of my brown recording…also kinda coppery but more brown than this new standard

-chris

heres the specs

View attachment 614322 View attachment 614323 View attachment 614324 View attachment 614325 View attachment 614326 View attachment 614327
Love the "Hog Tops". Really warm, comfortable and mellow looking.

lespaul1648

Reaction score
My last few Lester’s have been flamed out or gold…

found a completely untouched example of a 2016 Mahogany Standard..

i love Brown guitars though this one is more copper than I expected..awesome color imho…

these pics are from when I unboxed it an hour ago so pics are terrible…I’ll add good ones tomorrow but I can’t stop playing it…also it’s lacking a bigsby…can’t decide on b7 or b5…I’ll install it tomorrow before I add pics

Also will add a pic of my brown recording…also kinda coppery but more brown than this new standard

-chris

heres the specs

View attachment 614322 View attachment 614323 View attachment 614324 View attachment 614325 View attachment 614326 View attachment 614327

Nice guitar...I was always fond of the mahogany Les Pauls. My favorite one was always the brown one for some reason.

smk506

Reaction score
i was initially strong on my stance…
but I am what I am…and changes are likely coming…
of the golden variety

View attachment 615005

I don’t usually like gold hardware, but @Angelus is right, the mahogany looks great with it. Of course, I’m not changing the hardware on mine as I also think it sports the chrome very well also.

Ps, I guess I’m in the minority, but I’d totally say throw a bigsby on that thing! I’ve kind of wanted to do it to mine too, which is another coincidence given they’re not usually my thing.

Mine has the 2015 robo tuners though, I’m not sure if they would cooperate well with a bigsby. I’m guessing it wouldn’t bode well for guitar playing, but might make long strides in perpetual energy lol.

MP4-22

Reaction score
You lost me at "bigsby".... Congrats.

moreles

Reaction score
it’s lacking a bigsby
No guitar lacks a Bigsby. I think of them as "guitars which have been left alone, and not ruined by adding a Bigsby." I'm curious as to why you call the guitar "perfect" but intend to rout in a 3rd PU. Will that make it even more perfect? (I like 3 PU guitars, if they have the appropriate pickups and wiring -- that is, not Gibson's standard 3 PU wiring.). The lighter mahogany is just how it is now that the great mahogany supply is gone. Yours is light compared to past examples, but a nice color, IMO, and not at all the really light and pinkish "mahogany" that's everywhere now. Nice guitar.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
No guitar lacks a Bigsby. I think of them as "guitars which have been left alone, and not ruined by adding a Bigsby." I'm curious as to why you call the guitar "perfect" but intend to rout in a 3rd PU. Will that make it even more perfect? (I like 3 PU guitars, if they have the appropriate pickups and wiring -- that is, not Gibson's standard 3 PU wiring.). The lighter mahogany is just how it is now that the great mahogany supply is gone. Yours is light compared to past examples, but a nice color, IMO, and not at all the really light and pinkish "mahogany" that's everywhere now. Nice guitar.

i have a lot of perfect guitars that were made more perfecter with a 3rd pup :h5:

i tend to wire 3 volumes and a master tone with the middle pup always hot…

but i Don’t have a lot of time so it may never get done…

im still trying to finish painting and wiring guitars I had made while shopping to find the perfect luthier to make a carved top les Paul double neck 12/6…like jimmys but a les Paul Instead of an sg,
gibson wouldn’t do it for me despite some early successful begging on my part ha

-chris

1allspub

Reaction score
I know @Christosterone likes to portray himself as the Liberace of MLP, but I think Willy Wonka is equally appropriate.:laugh2:

Thus, why shouldn’t this one get a Bigsby and the Golden Ticket treatment?
:hmm:

1655288249242.jpeg

I’m not sure how I feel about the 3rd pup routing though. But then I’m rarely comfortable with changes that are irreversible... especially on guitars that aren’t just common fare. But that’s me... Chris gotta do Chris! :naughty:

Either way, congrats and HNGD! I’m sure it’ll be even more perfecter when he’s done! :thumb:

Last edited:

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I know @Christosterone likes to portray himself as the Liberace of MLP, but I think Willy Wonka is equally appropriate.:laugh2:

Thus, why shouldn’t this one get a Bigsby and the Golden Ticket treatment?
:hmm:

View attachment 615355

I’m not sure how I feel about the 3rd pup routing though. But then I’m rarely comfortable with changes that are irreversible... especially on guitars that aren’t just common fare. But that’s me... Chris gotta do Chris! :naughty:

Either way, congrats and HNGD! I’m sure it’ll be even more perfecter when he’s done! :thumb:

just so long as I’m the gene wilder version, I’ll take it

i am loving it this far…only guitar I’ve played for maybe a week.

it’s kinda my favorite out-of-the-box lester I’ve ever owned…which is saying something

i am yet to even change the switch tip to amber…may have found a gibson which needs nothing added/changed….
and my brain is simply coming to terms with that :h5:

-chris

DaveSG

Reaction score
Maybe start w/ the gold hardware and see how you like it. Correct me if I'm wrong, there is no bigsby addition that is completely reversible? As in, you need to drill those two screw holes in the top? If not, then it is a no brainer (like if they make a plate that works w/ the stoptail holes). I've never owned a bigsby equipped guitar so I'm showing my ignorance a bit, but after playing it for a month, see if that bigsby is still calling to you...

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Maybe start w/ the gold hardware and see how you like it. Correct me if I'm wrong, there is no bigsby addition that is completely reversible? As in, you need to drill those two screw holes in the top? If not, then it is a no brainer (like if they make a plate that works w/ the stoptail holes). I've never owned a bigsby equipped guitar so I'm showing my ignorance a bit, but after playing it for a month, see if that bigsby is still calling to you...

they are all reversible…

vibramate makes its so

every lester I own has a bigsby…some are on at times, others are not
i tend to pull bigbsies on and off with string changes.

ill post some of my normal fare…it tends to be blingy…
the red hp has black and gold hw I change out about once a year…
I never solder pup covers so I can switch them on all models

-chris
88CB2A39-5162-4AD5-A64C-64D11B27A49B.jpeg

73801EF3-D840-451C-A4E9-72D9F5F37853.jpeg
9A6C98A8-AACF-4FC1-A796-ED62EA617B1F.jpeg
57FBEFE8-17FC-4FB4-BA3B-AB041294C700.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads