NGD - Les Paul Standard 50's

ratedrkstevo

Reaction score
Finally bought my Les Paul today. Have a separate thread that kind of tells the journey I've taken to get here. Ended up coming across this used gem not too far from home - 2019 Les Paul Standard 50's in Tobacco Burst. It has a few minor cosmetic blemishes but nothing that I've not seen on new ones hanging in the local store. Weighs 8.8lbs, neck is smooth and plays fast. Love the chunky neck and how well it's balanced on a strap. Removed the pick guard, changed the truss rod cover and installed strap locks. Chucked some new strings on but will take it for a proper setup soon. Now it's time to buy a new amp....

Attachments

• GT1.jpg
    GT1.jpg
    231.1 KB · Views: 151
  • GT3.jpg
    GT3.jpg
    222.5 KB · Views: 152
  • GT2.jpg
    GT2.jpg
    168.6 KB · Views: 152

pondcaster

Reaction score
Holy smokes! That's such a nice LP, one of the best looking TBs I've seen. Would sincerely love to rock that.

Congrats, hope you enjoy in good health for many years to come!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Congrats, she is a beauty and a big plus that she plays/feels great to you as well.

Enjoy her for a long time!

spartacus slim

Reaction score
Read the other thread detailing your search for a Les Paul, and it looks like you finally hit the jackpot with this one. Cool colour and a great top. Happy new guitar day! :cheers:

Thundermtn

Reaction score
Nice! Gorgeous darkburst.

Learn setups yourself. The tools are cheap and it's easy to do and will save a bunch of money over the years. Lots of us will have some good numbers to start with. Check these too.

ratedrkstevo

Reaction score
Thanks for all the kind comments guys. Spent the weekend noodling on it non-stop. After not playing for a long time, my fingers are in bits so trying to have the day off to let them recover.

Took the strings off after I got it home, gave it a good clean and restrung it. Ordered a few bits like feeler gauges and a ruler so I can do my own setup. Now it's at home and I'm playing normally (as opposed to cautiously when I went to see it), there's a slight buzz at the first fret. Neck is super straight and action is super low. Add in my heavy handedness and it's now noticeable, only when unplugged though, no impact when playing through the amp.

Few things to note after a couple of days owning/playing....

1. The neck feels nowhere near as chunky as the LP's in the store I visited. When I first went to the store last week, the necks felt noticeably chunky but not uncomfortable. I'm not aware of any difference between the 2019 LPS 50's and the store's stock which were made in 2021. Either way, it feels super good.

2. The guitar smells so good!

3. The thing stays in tune so well. Give it some abuse last night, stayed in tune. Popped in case carefully overnight and still in tune this morning. Was concerned about the G but no problems whatsoever.

4. The pickups sound huge. Relied on lots of gain with my previous guitars. Had to just throw out all my amp settings and start again. Crunch channel with barely any gain and tube screamer on low and it sounds huge. People are going to frown but I'm a proud Katana user . To get good tone with my other guitars I've had to spend lots of time with the Tone Studio, fine tuning everything. The Gibson just sounded amazing straight away and I've not really needed to tinker too much.

pondcaster

Reaction score
Holy smokes! That's such a nice LP, one of the best looking TBs I've seen. Would sincerely love to rock that.

Congrats, hope you enjoy in good health for many years to come!

Oops!... Forgot to add my norml congenial invitation regarding such awesome guitars.

If you're not opposed to these types of things please think about joining our New Originals Club.

Would love to have yours in there but if that's not your bag, not a big deal. Thanks!

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Very nice!
Congratulations and enjoy for long :)

ratedrkstevo

Reaction score
Amazon delivery arrived today. Adjusted the truss rod, action, pickup height and intonation using the Gibson TV videos. Lowered the pickups a little more than the figures in the vid to get the tone I'm happy with. Here's a couple more shots in natural light.

Attachments

• LP01.jpg
    LP01.jpg
    264.7 KB · Views: 27
  • LP02.jpg
    LP02.jpg
    299.9 KB · Views: 27
  • LP03.jpg
    LP03.jpg
    222.4 KB · Views: 26

Latest Threads