NGD: Les Paul Standard 50's Heritage Cherry

cherrysunburst00

I don't even care about the pat cictures anymore
Premium Member
Reaction score
9Thanks everyone! My pleasure sharin' this, and I just wanted to get the word out (more than it already is) that Gibson is steppin' it up.

Thank you! Played it through one of those new studio Marshall amps in the shop and it was absolutely killer. This baby is currently just being played through my little Blackstar practice amp cause I am still waitin' for my Carr Telstar to arrive, hopefully just two more weeks (it's already been 3 and a half months). This is gonna be used for lots of blues, jazz and classic rock. And heaping amounts of Southern Rock.

I KNOW! That's what I immediately thought too! And I love it! It's really way more in line with what a cherry sunburst should look like (I mean, if old pictures and the 60th Anniversary "Factory" burst are any indications.)

I've always hated the clownburst. It's an abomination and a distortion of one of Gibson's coolest finishes ever.
If you are in the United States, and if you can cancel your order, Humbucker.com has 2 Telstars in stock. They are really fast in shipping too.

Silkrodamus

Reaction score
Stunner! Happy for you.

I have a friend who recently got a Carr Skylark (I believe it's the Skylark) and that thing roars. Has cleans to die for too.

You're gonna have a combo that you can rest on for quite a while. Congrats!
I think all Carr Amps are pretty special. I came close to the Skylark AND the Mercury V but pulled the trigger on the Telstar cause I wanted something more in the Tweed territory when I want it to be. And it seems like it can pull off convincing Blackface, Vox and Marshall tones as well. It'll be a good swiss army amp...I find it quite unique and dig the thing it's got going in. Seems to work well with just about any guitar.

Carr is one FAN-FREAKIN-TASTIC amp maker. I have an early Mercury (with Kingpin speaker and KT-66 tubes) that is outta this world!
From your lips to God's ears my friend lol that is a friggin sick amp you got. Those early Mercurys are actually full of good tones and cut through so well.

If you are in the United States, and if you can cancel your order, Humbucker.com has 2 Telstars in stock. They are really fast in shipping too.
Haha I had to be a fool and order one in Tweed with a mint faceplate and cream knobs ;) The wait-time is the price I pay. Here's hoping it's worth the wait...and that my new Lester likes it too. I am realllly close to the 4 month mark right now and have been amp-less for most of that time due to selling a Hughes And Kettner Grandmeister 40 to help fund the Telstar lol.

Case24

Reaction score
The top on that is incredible! And love how they’re doing the Heritage Cherry bursts now! HNGD!

Silkrodamus

Reaction score
Yeah the nice dark cherry shade they are throwing into the new Heritage Cherry and just the artful way they are doing the burst itself (nice and gradual, subtle and tear-drop shaped) is the reason I decided I needed to have this model, but when I saw the top on this particular one and played it and found it to be flawless, I was sold that day.

If they continue doing Heritage Cherry this way for a looong time I don't think they will hear any complaints. It's almost so much different than the style of Heritage Cherry they've been putting out for years that it almost needs a new name.....'Dark Cherry Burst' or 'Black Cherry Burst' that I've been seeing in this thread is definitely the most accurate. Either way, it's nice to own an example of one of the first ones in this awesome finish.

Dougj

Reaction score
Big congrats lovely guitar love the colour I've have not have the chance to get out and check them out personally but am looking forward to doing so all the best from the UK

lpfan1980

Reaction score
Gibson seems to be working really hard with these. It seems they are really trying with these 2019s. Nice to see and wow that back is RED thats not cherry thats sweet and sour hot sauce and hopefully play red hot like those late 1950s ones I love so much like this cutie :applause:.You got a good one man.
glp1959.jpg

thxphotog

Reaction score
Wow, that top!!! So you saw this in the store first? I'm in L.A. with a billion stores and nobody seemed to have a 50s Cherry Burst in stock so I had to order one and keep my fingers crossed that I would like the top. (assuming everything else would be OK) I was really nervous opening the case when mine arrived.

Congrats to you! Simply gorgeous!!

Silkrodamus

Reaction score
Gibson seems to be working really hard with these. It seems they are really trying with these 2019s. Nice to see and wow that back is RED thats not cherry thats sweet and sour hot sauce and hopefully play red hot like those late 1950s ones I love so much like this cutie :applause:.You got a good one man.View attachment 378090
Yeah, the back is really bright red when the light is shining on it! I managed to snap a less light-saturated photo of the back and updated it in this thread.

I agree that Gibson is really working hard on this new lineup. The attention to detail has improved dramatically and it is much easier to find a 'good one' now! Mine was the first damn Les Paul I pulled off the wall and it went home with me that day! I feel like Gibson is entering into a new era right now and I'm glad I was able to get in on it so early.

Wow, that top!!! So you saw this in the store first? I'm in L.A. with a billion stores and nobody seemed to have a 50s Cherry Burst in stock so I had to order one and keep my fingers crossed that I would like the top. (assuming everything else would be OK) I was really nervous opening the case when mine arrived.

Congrats to you! Simply gorgeous!!
I am up in Ontario, Canada and about 6 shops in the entire province had them. It's a big province though. I feel like I got really lucky cause the store closest to me had my gorgeous new babe hanging right there, low on the wall, when I first walked in. When I picked it up and saw the top....it was over for me. When I saw it there, I felt like I was walking into a guitar shop in 1959. It just screamed 59 Les Paul to me.

I would be very nervous ordering online but it seems to have worked out for you, yours reminds me of the quintessential 1958 Lester. Crazy that you couldn't find one in a shop in California! These must've been pre-ordered through the roof or had 'preferred buyers' on speed dial for when they arrived.

Glad these guitars are living up to the high expectations people had. As an owner of a 1943 Gibson J-45, a fan of Gibson, and a custodian of a little piece of their history in that guitar, I couldn't be more happy for them and proud to own one of their new 50's LP Standards. I wish them nothing but great success and praise if they continue making guitars like this!

Took the pickguard off. Thinking of leaving it off despite the ugliness of the screw holes/blemish from the nut/washer. I'll probably change back and forth between this. If Gibson wants to hit an absolute homerun next year, they can just ship these with the pickguards and hardware off and let people make the choice.

Last edited:

jc2000

Reaction score
I really like Gibson's new 50's ,60's model les Paul's. Congrats.

Low Gain

Reaction score
Very nice. Congrats!

Is that an ABR-1 bridge with no bushings (posts direct into the wood)?