NGD Les Paul Special Double Cut TV Yellow

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
Well I purchased some Gibson Vintage tuners and strap locks yesterday and I am having the tuners installed, a setup done, and new tens put on the guitar today.

Pretty sure that this is a keeper guitar, so why wait.
I may be doing the same.

I decided to restring mine last night. The robot method for restringing is enough of a PITA in its own right- but the battery pooped out on me half way through. Granted, I hadn’t had to charge it in six months, but, still..... GGGGRRRRRRRR!!!!

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
tuners and strap locks are pretty darn easy to install yourself. I myself, just picked up a guitar with the G force and like you, the battery died half way through getting the strings off. It doesn't take long to charge, but getting that contraption off was the first order of business.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was going to install myself but I was only charged $20.00 to change it out. Not bad and professionally done.

GunMonkeyINTL

Reaction score
tuners and strap locks are pretty darn easy to install yourself. I myself, just picked up a guitar with the G force and like you, the battery died half way through getting the strings off. It doesn't take long to charge, but getting that contraption off was the first order of business.
You know, it’s as much a point of stubborn-pride as anything: I don’t hate them like so many seem to, so why not keep them.

But screwing me up on something that should be as fun and simple as a string change..... no bueno.

They’re probably going away once I figure out if I want Grovers or Vintage tulips on there. I have one set of each on other LPs, and like both of them just fine.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
You know, it’s as much a point of stubborn-pride as anything: I don’t hate them like so many seem to, so why not keep them.

But screwing me up on something that should be as fun and simple as a string change..... no bueno.

They’re probably going away once I figure out if I want Grovers or Vintage tulips on there. I have one set of each on other LPs, and like both of them just fine.

I’m a fan of both Grover and Kluson tuners. I’ve owned both, but I like the looks of the Gibson Vintage (Kluson) tuners the best.

To be fair, I only tried to get the G-Force tuners to work twice. Both times, major failure. I didn’t put any extra time or effort into trying to get them work, because I knew that I was going to change out the G-Force Tunners anyway.

Just did not care for the G-Force look or even the concept. That’s why I own tuners.

Last edited:

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
I was going to install myself but I was only charged $20.00 to change it out. Not bad and professionally done.

That isn't so bad, but still, I know if I do it, its done right, to my standards, "professional" can mean a lot of different things. If you have a luthier you trust, it can be money well spent. I just try to do as much as possible myself, not only to save money, but to learn (trust me, i've screwed up a few things, but i learned from them). That said, I suck at and won't touch soldering anymore, but I've got a guy I throughly trust.

This was my third (or fourth) with the auto tune. The first one worked well enough, I just didn't care for the idea of it (we're talking 5 years ago). The second one, I came around a bit and decided to give it a chance. No matter what I did, it would not stay in tune for more than a minute or two. I actually like the idea of them now, as I can put whatever tuner I want on them w/o extra holes. I don't change tunings, so there is no advantage whatsoever to them over a traditional tuner to me. I won't knock the guys that like them, because I feel they have their place once calibrated. For me, they are a solution to a non existent problem.

Gridlock

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Got good tuners on this guitar now.
Love the guitar, the best low-cost Gibson that I've owned.

image.jpeg

Latest Threads