NGD Les Paul Modern

diogoguitar

Reaction score
She's here!
This is one of the acquisitions that I bought based on what "my heart wants" and not "what my eyes want". I'm finally "not disappointed" with Gibson. Honestly I was almost giving up

I've owned another LP for a little over a decade and have been quite happy with it. But, I wanted something more flexible for lead tracks. I originally had purchased a LP Standard 60's, but unfortunately that one had to go back due to some significant factory flaws (in addition to the dealer rounding down the weight by half a pound). Bummer. I was looking for another Standard 60's, but I opened up my options to other stuff.

My (other) dealer had 3 of these LP Moderns (black, red and blue). I almost bought the red one, but I realized I already have some red-ish guitars... so I wanted to change up a bit. Also, the blue one is 3oz / 90g lighter, so I could use some extra weight relief.

I did wait a long time to open this thing.

Here is how she looks like (my detailed review following after the pictures):
1614023560854.png

1614023576860.png

1614023590275.png

The guitar looks a lot better in person than in dealer photos (or even than my own photos).
Fit and finish is great.

I didn't realize this until I played, but I really like the color contrast between the top and the side of the guitar.

Pros
- No tooling marks that I could spot
- Binding looks great on neck and body
- No faulty/missing electronics (thanks to PCB)
- MOST IMPORTANT: resonance of this guitar is amazing. I had played a 2018 Standard with the same weight relief style and felt that guitar pretty boring to play
- Neck and body balance is perfect. This is not so common on Les Pauls that I played to be honest
- Lots of case candies
- Speaking of case, I think this one is made in Canada
- Ebony fingerboard feels great
- Fretwork is better than other Gibsons I have played (although I can feel some rough spots... easily fixable)
- Real mother of pearl inlays look awesome in person
- The access to the upper frets isn't as bad as I thought. I saw some reviews saying it's "useless", but I found quite comfortable
- Only 8.6lbs

Cons
- I think this one sat on the rack for a while, so there are some minor wall hook marks on the headstock. Not a big deal
- Bridge setup was horrible. Intonation wasn't quite there, action was 5.5/64 (compound radius can take 4/64 without a problem)
- Nut is way too high

These cons are not a big deal to me, so I'm positive I'm sticking with this guitar for a long time.

Bottom line, this guitar surprised me on how good it feels and looks. Pictures don't do it justice.

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
She's here!
This is one of the acquisitions that I bought based on what "my heart wants" and not "what my eyes want". I'm finally "not disappointed" with Gibson. Honestly I was almost giving up

I've owned another LP for a little over a decade and was quite happy with it. But, I wanted something more flexible for lead tracks. I originally had purchased a LP Standard 60's, but unfortunately that one had to go back due to some material factory flaws (in addition to the dealer rounding down the weight by half a pound). Bummer. I was looking for another Standard 60's, but I opened up my options to other stuff.

My (other) dealer had 3 of these LP Moderns (black, red and blue). I almost bought the red one, but I realized I already have some red-ish guitars... so I wanted to change up a bit. Also, the blue one is 3oz / 90g lighter, so I could use some extra weight relief.

I did wait a long time to open this thing.

Here is how she looks like (my detailed review following after the pictures):
View attachment 521176

View attachment 521177

View attachment 521178

The guitar looks a lot better in person than in dealer photos (or even from my own photos).
Fit and finish is great.

I didn't realize this until I played, but I really like the color contrast between the top and the side of the guitar.

Pros
- No tooling marks that I could spot
- Binding looks great on neck and body
- No faulty/missing electronics (thanks to PCB)
- MOST IMPORTANT: resonance of this guitar is amazing. I had played a 2018 Standard with the same weight relief style and felt that guitar pretty boring to play
- Neck and body balance is perfect. This is not so common on Les Pauls that I played to be honest
- Lots of case candies
- Speaking of case, I think this one is made in Canada
- Ebony fingerboard feels great
- Fretwork is better than other Gibsons I have played (although I can feel some rough spots... easily fixable)
- Real mother of pearl inlays look awesome in person
- The access to the upper frets isn't as bad as I thought. I saw some reviews saying it's "useless", but I found quite comfortable
- Only 8.6lbs

Cons
- I think this one sat on the rack for a while, so there are some minor wall hook marks on the headstock. Not a big deal
- Bridge setup was horrible. Intonation wasn't quite there, action was 5.5/64 (compound radius can take 4/64 without a problem)
- Nut is way too high

These cons are not a big deal to me, so I'm positive I'm sticking with this guitar for a long time.

Bottom line, this guitar surprised me on how good it feels and looks. Pictures don't do it justice.
Love it, Lefties rule! Rock on sir!

mudface

Boo Bee
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
That justs looks awesome.....love the contrast too..... wow...that is sweet. :applause:

bytemare

Reaction score
Congrats! I remember the other thread and I think you were pondering this :) I agree, upper fret access is MUCH easier with this. Also mine got the wall hook marks after a couple of days, which I don't understand because this never happened to any of my other guitars, even cheap ones. Anyway, enjoy!!!

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was snowed in and without power for too long....
missed a lot of these

long live the republic of texas....

-chris

MP4-22

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I was snowed in and without power for too long....
missed a lot of these

long live the republic of texas....

-chris

Y'all crack me up.... being from NY when i lived in Texas for about a year i saw all these stickers on your cars, "Don't mess with Texas" and about how bad ass y'all are and what not....never understood it, then when you guys get some winter weather you can't even handle it !!! :rofl:

Latest Threads