NGD Les Paul Deluxe (Tell me what I have?)

islandjimmy

Reaction score
I think the 2015 Les Paul Traditional is one of the best things Gibson has ever done. I always wanted a 1.75" nut on a Les Paul, and was on the verge of commissioning a luthier to build one for me, and then in 2015 Gibson granted my wish. I love my 2015 Les Paul. The fat neck is glorious imo. So easy to play. Also, they chose thicker, select rosewood on the 2015, and the top carve is below the rim like the 59 model. Mine is also light weight without any weight relief. Great guitar.

Gridlock

Reaction score
I think the 2015 Les Paul Traditional is one of the best things Gibson has ever done. I always wanted a 1.75" nut on a Les Paul, and was on the verge of commissioning a luthier to build one for me, and then in 2015 Gibson granted my wish. I love my 2015 Les Paul. The fat neck is glorious imo. So easy to play. Also, they chose thicker, select rosewood on the 2015, and the top carve is below the rim like the 59 model. Mine is also light weight without any weight relief. Great guitar.

Mine weighs 10 lbs even.

Larry B

Reaction score
Hi Gridlock. What a perty guitar. I've been doing some research on my recently purchased 2011 LPD modded with P90s and I've run into images of your guitar in the process. Looks like a This is what i've found out.

Les Paull Deluxe 100th Anniversary

Euro-Review

Based on the info in the links above the following changes have been made.
- Nasty ass robo tuners removed and replaced with Grovers
- Pickups replaced with regulation mini humbuckers (with screws)
- Coil split switch removed and second tone pot added
- I suspect the original circuit board in the control cavity has been replaced
- Probably has traditional weight relief. Mine is chambered I believe.

Pop1655

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think what you got is a good deal on a nice piece!
The replacement nut for those is quite cool. Much more traditional, but still adjustable.

Gridlock

Reaction score
Hi Gridlock. What a perty guitar. I've been doing some research on my recently purchased 2011 LPD modded with P90s and I've run into images of your guitar in the process. Looks like a This is what i've found out.

Les Paull Deluxe 100th Anniversary

Euro-Review

Based on the info in the links above the following changes have been made.
- Nasty ass robo tuners removed and replaced with Grovers
- Pickups replaced with regulation mini humbuckers (with screws)
- Coil split switch removed and second tone pot added
- I suspect the original circuit board in the control cavity has been replaced
- Probably has traditional weight relief. Mine is chambered I believe.

Thanks so much for the information. I’ve found similar links but I missed the fact that the guitar has upgraded pickups. No circuit board in this guitar, all point to point. Whoever did the mods did a professional job. Without knowing the specifics of a 2015 Deluxe, I’d swear that it was totally stock.

Thanks again.

anorton

Reaction score
It’s gorgeous! Beautiful fretboard. That‘s all I know. Congratulations and happy NGD!

tokairic

Reaction score
I've had two of the 2015's and they don't deserve the hate they get from the die hard traditionalists. I had a LP Less Plus and a LP Standard - both Heritage Cherry burst. Moving from a standard neck to the slightly wider neck of the 2015's took about 30 seconds to adapt and I found the necks comfortable. Add to that the real Pearl inlay and other upgrades and you had a great guitar. The only thing I changed on mine were the robot tuners. I went for locking Grovers. My preference.
Sold the Less Plus as there was something I wanted more, and the Standard went in favour of a Blueberry Burst Standard, just for the colour - I love it.

[/QUOTE]
I had two of the 2015's and they really don't deserve the hate that they get from the die hards.

coxster

Reaction score
It’s a dreaded 2015 model (Deluxe) but I actually like the bigger necks on these guitars. No Robot Tuners on this guitar and this is my first guitar with mini Humbuckers. The guitar is in mint condition and still has the plastic covering on the pickguard.

My question is, everything that I’ve seen on line with this model guitar, there is a coil tap switch in place of one of the tone switches. I’m glad that it doesn’t have the coil tap, and probably would not have purchased the guitar if it had the coil tap switch.

This guitar has two volume and two tone knobs like every other Les Paul that I’ve owned.

So what model Deluxe do I have? Was it a special run?

View attachment 482449
Robot tuners were discontinuned long before 2015. I have three with G-Force (whole different game) that work flawlessly. Congrats on the Deluxe. Go listen to some ARS for some tasty deluxe licks

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Robot tuners were discontinuned long before 2015. I have three with G-Force (whole different game) that work flawlessly. Congrats on the Deluxe. Go listen to some ARS for some tasty deluxe licks

One of the most underrated guitarists ever..

captdan61

Reaction score
It's probably a 2015 that somebody switched out the electronics for typical Gibson wares?

Fwiw, I actually dig the 2015 Deluxe as it is, stock. I don't think every Gibson should be outfitted like that, and they definitely made some huge missteps trying to push it on everyone, unilaterally.

But taken for what they are, I think they're awesome.

FTW.
I have a les paul deluxe from the 70s that had a big humbucker the middle kind of like Pete Townsendit was a great guitar. The way I look at Les Paul Deluxe for this is the same way I look at my phone customs and standards and his storage engineers and Gibson es ones maybe Marauders Les Paul recordings if you have the money and you don't own one you're probably need one and that's a beautiful gold top

Alansd

Reaction score
It’s a dreaded 2015 model (Deluxe) but I actually like the bigger necks on these guitars. No Robot Tuners on this guitar and this is my first guitar with mini Humbuckers. The guitar is in mint condition and still has the plastic covering on the pickguard.

My question is, everything that I’ve seen on line with this model guitar, there is a coil tap switch in place of one of the tone switches. I’m glad that it doesn’t have the coil tap, and probably would not have purchased the guitar if it had the coil tap switch.

This guitar has two volume and two tone knobs like every other Les Paul that I’ve owned.

View attachment 482449

Alansd

Reaction score
my first real guitar wa a 1970 deluxe, man I loved it.Divorce forced the sale, but when I tried to buy it back from the guy later, he refused....no doubt, the thing smoked!I have an Epi firebird v11 with three minis .Love the sound.

ArtWerkOrange

Reaction score

View attachment 482449
What about this amazing looking guitar makes it "dreaded" in any way? I have two 2015 Gibsons and not only did I steal them in regards to the price, but they are great guitars. The thing I love about the Robo tuners is that if and when they give me trouble (4 years and going strong) I can swap them out. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new guitar. It really is a special instrument. Congrats!

MSB

Banned
Reaction score
What about this amazing looking guitar makes it "dreaded" in any way? I have two 2015 Gibsons and not only did I steal them in regards to the price, but they are great guitars. The thing I love about the Robo tuners is that if and when they give me trouble (4 years and going strong) I can swap them out. Anyway, I hope you enjoy your new guitar. It really is a special instrument. Congrats!

Selling them while they still work more than pays for a traditional set, which I feel is inevitable given the lack of replacement parts. I don’t hate them, but I just can’t see them still working in 20 years.

vintageguitarz

Reaction score
Home now. Research tomorrow.

So what happened the "research tomorrow" for something as simple as reading the model number off the drop tags, which would answer all the questions about what that Deluxe IS! You found the time post a bunch of worthless info pictures, but couldn't stop to read a tag?

I suspect nothing has been done or replaced to this Deluxe, it's just a run of the mill standard Deluxe model and you are just looking for "conspiracy theory" that doesn't exist. My shop has been a Gibson dealer since 2000 and a factory repair station, I've seen 10 to 15 of these Deluxe models from 2014 to 2017 come in and they are all the same, standard components. They just weren't popular and sadly still aren't.

I'm not against Deluxe models, I have a '73 in sunburst. Great Jazz LP.

Gibson Les Paul Deluxe 1978.jpg

ArtWerkOrange

Reaction score
Selling them while they still work more than pays for a traditional set, which I feel is inevitable given the lack of replacement parts. I don’t hate them, but I just can’t see them still working in 20 years.
Agreed, but I am getting a set of tuners worth of enjoyment out of them now. I don't expect to be around in twenty years and if I am, the tuners on my good old Gibson's will be the least of my concerns. I feel the same about coil splitting, as the wiring is fairly simple, so to split or not to split, that is the question. My Gibson's have only a single pickup, so my choices are pretty simple. Although I am turning one into a John Lennon inspired "Junior" with a Charlie Christian pickup in the soon to be routed neck pickup. I have already drilled a hole in it, so why not go for broke. I paid under $400 for both of them, so I figure why not have fun with one and keep the other stock.

Gridlock

Reaction score

I actually like the necks on these guitars, I’ve owned two other 2015 Gibson’s (Les Paul Special DC). This is really a beautiful and well made guitar. I’m glad for the pickup, tone control, Grover tuners, and hand wired mods.

Last edited:

Latest Threads