NGD - Les Paul Custom w/ Floyd Rose of my 1980s Loving Dreams

Deftone

Reaction score
I will restore my Charvel. Thanks for motivating me.
I recently bought this Jackson Dinky Reverse for $100...I really wanted a reverse headstock. Made in Indonesia....

20210909_053705_1631191438084[1].jpg

Bought a new Basswood Dinky body from Butala Customs, (single hum, OFR and a 3/8 radius all around) I rattle canned it with nitro, installed an SD Full Shred and an OFR I had laying around.

Dinky1.JPG

It's a helluva player and super light.

The Dinky neck is identical to the Charvel Model series necks, (technically, the Model series are the original MIJ Jacksons) I've got black tuners on the way and then all I need is a locking nut.

Tollie

Reaction score
I want to change this Les Paul to one volume and two tones. Since the body is so thin, do I need to buy short shaft pots?

Deftone

Reaction score
I want to change this Les Paul to one volume and two tones. Since the body is so thin, do I need to buy short shaft pots?
IIRC, the long shaft because of the carve top.

The big problem is the size of the control cavity. It's so small it's really tough making things fit and working in there.

Cavity.JPG

ArchEtech

Gold Supporting Member
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I almost bought a new Axcess model in a color similar to that. I love it. The seller wanted way too much for a ritchlite guitar.

Awesome.

Tollie

Reaction score
Damn, that thing is clean. What a beauty.

That chainsaw case looks like it's in great shape too. Nice score.
Thank you very much. The condition of the guitar and the case are both excellent. Now that I set up the Floyd Rose properly it plays perfectly. The action is super low and it stays in tune even if I abuse the tremolo bar. It’s a floating tremolo so I can pull up and do flutters. I am extremely happy with it.

Steve69

Reaction score
I have been watching this guitar on Reverb for months but it was priced really high. The seller just dropped it $2000 so it was more realistically priced and I jumped on it.

This is a dream guitar for me. I play 80s hair band songs in a cover band so the fact that it is pink and has a Floyd Rose perfectly align with that genre.

Playing standing for hours with a heavy Les Paul is not ideal but I sure do love Les Pauls. This one is a Lite so it has a thinner body and a tummy cut making it much lighter than my other regular Les Pauls.

1989 Les Paul Custom Lite in Sunrise Metallic with a Floyd Rose.

View attachment 634518
The Meagan Fox of guitars.

Tollie

Reaction score
After playing this guitar in it’s original form for several days I have come to the conclusion that I really like the stock pickups. I know that I already ordered the Sheptone Wanker pickups for it but now I am not so sure that I want to change them.

Tollie

Reaction score
That's a kicking guitar @Tollie ! I always keep an eye out for floyd LPs and haven't seen one like this before! Really really nice.

Are the necks on the thins the same as the axcess?
Razzle from the Music Man forum?

Tollie

Reaction score
How the heck did I miss this thread?! Congratulations, nice score.

Here's mine. It's my #1

View attachment 635555 View attachment 635556 View attachment 635557

I just solved some tuning issues thanks to @Freddy G by replacing the Schaller base plate. I didn't realize you should never adjust the bridge height under tension. Now it's staying in tune perfectly.

FWIW: I've owned three Custom Lites and one Studio Lite (also had a Floyd) from the '87-'89 era and I wouldn't refer to them as light in weight. What you get is a slimmer body, which I find more comfortable to play.
I love your black Lite. When I read that it’s your Number 1, I felt good about making my newest guitar my Number 1. It’s the Floyd that does it. I forgot how much fun a floating Floyd is. That and the color. In person the light hits it the right way and you see a little pink glitter because it’s a metallic finish. Absolutely perfect guitar for playing hair band cover songs.

Last edited:

Jay4321

Reaction score
I went back and forth with the CS about a wine red Custom with chrome hardware and floyd, and with my specs not being too silly otherwise the number couldn't work. Probably going to kitbash a precision kit to do it once work slows down

That's a nice guitar and the old red & black scheme def brings back memories from that era

Last edited:

Tollie

Reaction score
There was an identical guitar for sale on Reverb, but priced higher, it had bumps and bruises galore, changed pickups and an aftermarket guitar case. It was also for sale for eight months like mine was and now it just sold. I hope it was someone on the forum so we can enjoy a similar NGD thread.

Tollie

Reaction score
Congrats! Nice to see someone get a dream guitar and also make it a workhorse.
Thank you. It was so much fun to play at band practice last night. It is much lighter than my other Les Pauls and the Floyd Rose is ideal for the hair band songs that we play. We have stage lighting on the ceiling and the metallic paint really comes to life under those lights.

Tollie

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this color is called? I have seen it called SunRISE metallic, and SunSET metallic.

Based on my experience with the outside workd, SunSET metallic makes more sense. The pinks and purples in the sky that I have seen have always been at sunset. In the morning it seems more yellow in color.

Tollie

Reaction score
Yea, I prefer the Model 2 as well. I bought the Model 3 because I liked the black pickguard on white (VH1) but after a couple years I really wanted a Model 2 with a Floyd.

That's a great pic! Wish I had a pic or a recording of my band. You ought to bust out that Charvel and restore it. IMHO '87-88 were the best years for the Model Series.

I believe the Custom Lites have a '60's slim taper neck. Never tried an Axcess, but it's definitely on the thinner side for a Les Paul.
My plan is to start saving money and hopefully find a clone of your 1989, but as a backup plan I will buy an Axcess If I can’t find an older Lite. So far, I have zero dollars.

Deftone

Reaction score
Does anyone know what this color is called? I have seen it called SunRISE metallic, and SunSET metallic.

Based on my experience with the outside workd, SunSET metallic makes more sense. The pinks and purples in the sky that I have seen have always been at sunset. In the morning it seems more yellow in color.
AFAIK "Metallic Sunset." It's not a rare color for Custom Lites, but the Floyd Custom Lites are rare for sure.

My plan is to start saving money and hopefully find a clone of your 1989, but as a backup plan I will buy an Axcess If I can’t find an older Lite. So far, I have zero dollars.
In the 15 years or so I've been obsessed with '89 Floyd LPCL's, I think I've seen less then a dozen of them. Even less of the Studio/Floyd models, two or maybe three. I've seen two or three black LPCL/Floyds (besides mine), one was an '88 and I've never seen an '88 with a Floyd before. Maybe five Sunset Metallic and a couple Tobacco(?) Bursts (one might have been Cherryburst). I saw one black one that I could see in the pics was a re-finished Metallic Sunset. But you never know if you are seeing the same one you've seen before with a different owner.

qqs5f1y5u59vzt2hfpuj.jpg

Mine has the distinction of easily being the most road worn (beat) of all of them I've seen. Funny thing is, I spotted my LPCL/Floyd ten years before I bought it and the owner then said he would never sell it.

Latest Threads