NGD - Les Paul Custom w/ Floyd Rose of my 1980s Loving Dreams

TheWhigs

Reaction score
I'm not an LPC fan however that is one awesome lookin' rocker you got there! :eek:

While I love 70's rock, IMO nothing comes close to the 80s' rock/metal scene. Your gorgeous guitar is a "throw back" to the heyday I remember growing up with.:dude:

Deftone

Reaction score
I have been watching this guitar on Reverb for months but it was priced really high. The seller just dropped it $2000 so it was more realistically priced and I jumped on it.

This is a dream guitar for me. I play 80s hair band songs in a cover band so the fact that it is pink and has a Floyd Rose perfectly align with that genre.

Playing standing for hours with a heavy Les Paul is not ideal but I sure do love Les Pauls. This one is a Lite so it has a thinner body and a tummy cut making it much lighter than my other regular Les Pauls.

1989 Les Paul Custom Lite in Sunrise Metallic with a Floyd Rose.

View attachment 634518
Wait...why is there a "Kahler" Limited Warranty card? the bridge is a Schaller....might be stamped "Gibson" but it's a Floyd Licensed bridge made by Schaller.

dspelman

Reaction score
I wanted one of these for the longest time and just never came across one when my war chest was full.

About 15 years ago I gave up and ordered a new Axcess Custom (black with white binding, etc.). It, too, has a thinner body than a standard LP, and mine is chambered (not weight relieved). The main difference between mine and yours is the carved neck heel. About $4K back then.

I made some suggestions to Kurt at Rondo Music that resulted in the Agile AL-3200, a neck-through LP with a tummy cut and a carved neck-body join. Spectacular guitar, and the Floyd version is just moreso. Nine-pound range.

Agile also offered the AL-2000 Floyd, which has an interesting "tilted" neck heel that works almost as well as the Axcess sculpted heel. It also has a 24-fret neck that extends the neck a bit and pushes the bridge/bridge pickup toward the neck pickup to maintain the scale. Awesome upper fret access. A bit heavier and no tummy cut. I've ended up with two of these, one in black and one in white, one of which came used with a Fernandes Sustainer and a Dimarzio Super Distortion in the bridge.

And then they also offered the AL-3100MCC Floyd, which is pretty standard (like a Studio Shred), but with the multi-layer binding, ebony fretboard and real MOP trap inlays. Normal neck heel.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Nice one! I love the hair metal guitars. I still keep one - 1986 BC Rich Gunslinger custom.
BC Rich New 10.27.2016.jpg

Peter M

Reaction score
I'm not smart enough to play a guitar with a Floyd. I do have a Floyd Rose equipped Strat, but it makes me feel stupid and angry, so it's a wall-hanger.

So much better that than being one of those FR complainists:

"my bridge won't stay level"

"my fine tuners don't work"

"I hate snipping string balls"

:naughty:

Tollie

Reaction score
Wait...why is there a "Kahler" Limited Warranty card? the bridge is a Schaller....might be stamped "Gibson" but it's a Floyd Licensed bridge made by Schaller.
You have a good eye. That does not belong there because it’s a Schaller bridge.

Tollie

Reaction score
So much better that than being one of those FR complainists:

"my bridge won't stay level"

"my fine tuners don't work"

"I hate snipping string balls"

:naughty:
When my guitar arrived the action was super high and the Floyd was tilted with the fine tuner side way up in the air. Upon further inspection, I saw that it only had two springs and the tremolo claw was screwed in as far as it would go. I added another spring and backed out the claw so the Floyd sat totally level. That lowered the action so that it is perfect, nice and low.

Last edited:

Tollie

Reaction score
@Tollie Here's a pic from the '89 Gibson Catalog....

View attachment 635586
Note the LPCL knob configuration is different. Might have been a prototype.
Thank you for posting that. I bet it was.

I will be changing it a little. I want one volume and two tones, no toggle and no coil splitting. I am changing the pickups to Sheptone Wankers. The stock Sidewinder bridge sounds pretty good, but the neck is muddy and lifeless.

Tollie

Reaction score
After playing the stock pickups again last night, I realized that they are actually very good. The neck pickup isn’t as lifeless as I thought. I guess I was being overly critical. There is only one tone knob and I prefer that each pickup has their own tone knob so that I can really dial in each pickup’s tone separately. But yeah, these stock pickups are good.

Tollie

Reaction score
Nice one! I love the hair metal guitars. I still keep one - 1986 BC Rich Gunslinger custom. View attachment 635585
I definitely love this BC Rich. Back in 1989 I was in an original band called Pozer. The other guitarist had a BC Rich Gunslinger with subway car style graffiti on it which was very cool. I wonder if he still has it? I still have my guitar from those days, a 1987 Charvel Model 4.

Deftone

Reaction score
I definitely love this BC Rich. Back in 1989 I was in an original band called Pozer. The other guitarist had a BC Rich Gunslinger with subway car style graffiti on it which was very cool. I wonder if he still has it? I still have my guitar from those days, a 1987 Charvel Model 4.
I had an '86 Charvel Model 3 I bought brand new in '87 and played in my band "Prophecy" ...lol
Charvel 001.jpg

I had that guitar for about 15 years and then regrettably I sold it when I became infatuated with Les Pauls. Fortunately, I quickly realized my error and picked up an '86 Model 2 for $200, before prices on the Model series Charvel's went crazy.
Model 2.JPG

I removed the original Kahler trem and replaced it with an OFR trem and lock nut. Ripping guitar.

I still love the Super Strats with Floyds...I think I have seven of them.

The LPC Lite with Floyd combines all my favorite guitars into one.

I'd hang on to that one. I've been searching for and researching them for about 15 years now and I can say for sure they are rare.

Tollie

Reaction score
I had an '86 Charvel Model 3 I bought brand new in '87 and played in my band "Prophecy" ...lol
View attachment 636051
I had that guitar for about 15 years and then regrettably I sold it when I became infatuated with Les Pauls. Fortunately, I quickly realized my error and picked up an '86 Model 2 for $200, before prices on the Model series Charvel's went crazy.
View attachment 636052
I removed the original Kahler trem and replaced it with an OFR trem and lock nut. Ripping guitar.

I still love the Super Strats with Floyds...I think I have seven of them.

The LPC Lite with Floyd combines all my favorite guitars into one.

I'd hang on to that one. I've been searching for and researching them for about 15 years now and I can say for sure they are rare.
I love your Model 2, even more than your 3. I like the simplicity of it.

Mine is in the closet downstairs. I’ll have to get it back in shape. I removed the bridge pickup ring so I could paint it and I did a terrible job so I never reassembled it. That must have been 20 years ago or more and I have not seen it since.

I bought the Charvel brand new in 1987. I had a job at the record store at the mall and I saved up for a very long time.

Last edited:

Razzle

Reaction score
That's a kicking guitar @Tollie ! I always keep an eye out for floyd LPs and haven't seen one like this before! Really really nice.

Are the necks on the thins the same as the axcess?

Deftone

Reaction score
I love your Model 2, even more than your 3. I like the simplicity of it.

Mine is in the closet downstairs. I’ll have to get it back in shape. I removed the bridge pickup ring so I could paint it and I did a terrible job so I never reassembled it. That must have been 20 years ago or more and I have not seen it since.

Here I am in 1989 playing out with it.

https://flic.kr/p/2nMgtyp
I bought the Charvel brand new in 1987. I had a job at the record store at the mall and I saved up for a very long time.
Yea, I prefer the Model 2 as well. I bought the Model 3 because I liked the black pickguard on white (VH1) but after a couple years I really wanted a Model 2 with a Floyd.

That's a great pic! Wish I had a pic or a recording of my band. You ought to bust out that Charvel and restore it. IMHO '87-88 were the best years for the Model Series.

That's a kicking guitar @Tollie ! I always keep an eye out for floyd LPs and haven't seen one like this before! Really really nice.

Are the necks on the thins the same as the axcess?
I believe the Custom Lites have a '60's slim taper neck. Never tried an Axcess, but it's definitely on the thinner side for a Les Paul.

Tollie

Reaction score
Yea, I prefer the Model 2 as well. I bought the Model 3 because I liked the black pickguard on white (VH1) but after a couple years I really wanted a Model 2 with a Floyd.

That's a great pic! Wish I had a pic or a recording of my band. You ought to bust out that Charvel and restore it. IMHO '87-88 were the best years for the Model Series.

I believe the Custom Lites have a '60's slim taper neck. Never tried an Axcess, but it's definitely on the thinner side for a Les Paul.
I will restore my Charvel. Thanks for motivating me.

The neck on my Lite feels like a slim taper but with fuller shoulders. Almost like it’s a scaled down version of a full 50s neck.

Latest Threads