NGD!! Les Paul Custom VOS

jestremera

Premium Member
Reaction score
I'm so psyched to be rejoining the Gibson family with the purchase of this one. It's been great in every way. It didn't come with your typical 490/498 set. It came with open coil Custom Buckers, which I like but aren't what I prefer. This was a case of wanting way more output out of the bridge. Custom Buckers don't get the love they deserve, IMO. I left the original neck pickup in and dropped in a Gibson Dirty Fingers I've had laying around for about 10 years or so. I switched the screws in the pickup from nickel to gold and really love the way it looks. The tone is otherworldly. Even though the spec sheet states "Chunky C-Shape", it seems as though the person carving the neck that day didn't get the memo and had a couple of Red Bulls before starting the work; it's unusually thin for a Custom (possibly less than .800 at the first fret). With my hand issues, that's a blessing. There are lots of really great things to say about this one, but it all boils down to the fact that I'm super happy with it and haven't touched any of my other guitars since it came home. It feels good to be back and I'm sticking around this time.

Specs:

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 10.49.35 AM.png

Original (Pre-Mod)
Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 10.36.02 AM.png

Post Dirty Fingers installation (I removed as much of the logo off the pickup as I could. I never liked it)
Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 10.41.08 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 10.43.11 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 10.43.51 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 10.45.23 AM.png

Screen Shot 2020-07-04 at 10.46.10 AM.png

jbash

Reaction score
My first was a Black Tux Custom. Congrats!

When I hit the lotto or get that inheritance, I'll have another! :)

RocketKing

Reaction score
Well just to offer some contrast from my esteemed colleagues, I'd say you have a marvelously crafted instrument, a true synthesis of elegance and raw power :cheers: ;)

jestremera

Premium Member
Reaction score
......,.as they say in Massachusetts.
I lived there and still have lots of family in the central part of the state. Some words really get butchered there LOL!

crowemag82

Reaction score
I am glad I was routed to this thread. My amazing wife just surprised me with tracking information for this exact model and I couldn’t be more pleased.

I play mainly traditional metal and 80’s metal. Would the custom bucker not get me there? I was shows a video of Scotti Hill using one and it was pretty darn mean in my opinion! Hahahaha.

jestremera

Premium Member
Reaction score
I am glad I was routed to this thread. My amazing wife just surprised me with tracking information for this exact model and I couldn’t be more pleased.

I play mainly traditional metal and 80’s metal. Would the custom bucker not get me there? I was shows a video of Scotti Hill using one and it was pretty darn mean in my opinion! Hahahaha.
Congratulations! You will love it. I play the same style of music. I'm a really big fan of John Sykes and love his tone. You can definitely get close with the stock pickups, but I wanted a more tight tone with higher output, hence the Dirty Fingers. The Custom Bucker neck pickup is an outstanding compliment to the Dirty Fingers. The Custom Bucker bridge version is really great, but the hotter pickup suited my needs better.

crowemag82

Reaction score
I think I may be ok with the Custom Buckers as my modded 1984 JCM 800 is damn hot. I was thinking I could use some lower output pickups to use with her.

Latest Threads