NGD - Les Paul Custom Ebony

cliffenstein

Reaction score
Would one of you measure the depth of your 2020 Epi LPC neck with calipers at the 1st and 12th fret and report your findings here?

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
I found great deal and pulled a trigger on 2020 Epi LP Custom Ebony and received the guitar yesterday.

I am very impressed, this guitar screams quality. Set up is great out of the box - mine was pre-owned - I am amazed that it stayed in tune while being shipped. Action is low, no buzz, binding and finish are perfect, intonation is unbelievable - I can play this guitar unplugged and it is loud!

It feels much better than my JB Black Beauty (sharp frets on JB) for less than half the price.

It's a pleasure to hold and play! Highly recommend this guitar!!!

Last edited:

needlespauls

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I jammed on her for about an hour today, very nice, very smooth and the intonation is perfect everywhere. It is amazing when a guitar is setup properly, it is very easy to play.
Overall which one would you recommend, the custom or the modern?

darkvoice

Reaction score

I'd say they are both high quality instruments, but there are important differences.

If you are looking for everyday instrument I'd advise on Modern, because:
1) it's lighter (weight relief),
2) more versatile pick-ups (coil split),
3) locking tuners,
4) nickel hardware vs gold (longevity, as gold plating will wear off),
5) lower maintenance - if you get ebony Custom - it's a fingerprint magnet, you will have to constantly wipe off prints from body and hardware. Modern's colors and natural colored back/sides/neck show less prints.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I just finished playing them both for 30 minutes, switching back and forth. Wow, that was fun, something I need to do more often! :jam:

They both sound almost identical, probably since they have the same pickups. The Custom though, has a little bit deeper tone to it, a little more fullness, not the Growl I get from the Joe BB, but definitely a little more to it's tone. The Modern is so much lighter and sounds amazing, such a great guitar to play, I just love it. The pickups are just a little bit higher on the Modern, to get that nice full tone to it, I guess because of the heavier all mahogany body on the custom, it has a deeper fuller tone most likely. I had to lower the pickups a little bit more on the Custom, so it did not get muddy at all. I don't really use all the coil tapping features much on the Modern, it is nice to have, but to tell you the truth, I don't spend much time playing with that part of the guitar. I like switching between all three toggle switch positions as well as mess with the volume and tone controls a lot to get the tone I am looking for, but never really the phase/coil tapping. I have enough fun with just the volume/tone and pickup choices.

Hope this helps, but you can't go wrong with either one. Sweetwater did an excellent job with the Plek/setup on the custom, and my guitar tech did a good job on the modern, so both are setup well and feel great. I think the Custom is setup a little bit better, the Plek did a great job with the frets, more so that my Guitar Tech, but I can always take it back to him and have him adjust my frets a little bit more where they are still a little sharp. I love the locking tuners, I have that on all my guitars except the new Custom, where I might just get some in the Grover Gold Keystone Tulip for it.

DrBGood

Reaction score
5) lower maintenance - if you get ebony Custom - it's a fingerprint magnet, you will have to constantly wipe off prints from body and hardware. Modern's colors and natural colored back/sides/neck show less prints.
Unless you go full Neil Young on it. :rofl:

Neil-Young.jpg

I just finished playing them both for 30 minutes, switching back and forth. Wow, that was fun, something I need to do more often! :jam:
I do that all the time, that's why I want my guitars at arm's lenght all the time.

2020-08-09.jpg

DrBGood

Reaction score
Interesting artistic design for the board on the right :)
It's my painting easel. Here, 5 years ago. I had less guitars then :)

I recently stopped painting after a lifetime of it as my main job. I kept the easel, you never know, but it now has guitar pegs in it.

2016-10-25 Studio .jpg

darkvoice

Reaction score
Pics of my new LP Custom
I found great deal and pulled a trigger on 2020 Epi LP Custom Ebony and received the guitar yesterday.

I am very impressed, this guitar screams quality. Set up is great out of the box - mine was pre-owned - I am amazed that it stayed in tune while being shipped. Action is low, no buzz, binding and finish are perfect, intonation is unbelievable - I can play this guitar unplugged and it is loud!

It feels much better than my JB Black Beauty (sharp frets on JB) for less than half the price.

It's a pleasure to hold and play! Highly recommend this guitar!!!

Pics of my new LP Custom

Attachments

• Guitar.jpg
    Guitar.jpg
    66.6 KB · Views: 33
  • Head.jpg
    Head.jpg
    129.2 KB · Views: 32

darkvoice

Reaction score
Huh, you got the smaller diamond on the head stock. :hmm:

I haven't noticed, I guess I don't care that much. Do you have examples of side-by-side comparison of small vs large diamonds?

Serial number starts with 1912, which probably translates into Dec 2019 manufacturing date. This has to be one of the first made with new headstock.

Last edited:

darkvoice

Reaction score
Hmm, let's see. My Diamond goes up past the keys towards the Epiphone Logo.

Yes, diamond looks larger. Also, space in the middle is wider.

Font for CUSTOM on the TR cover seems smaller on the one with larger diamond.

DrBGood

Reaction score
Yes, diamond looks larger. Also, space in the middle is wider.

Font for CUSTOM on the TR cover seems smaller on the one with larger diamond.
My my ... a few years from now, one of those will be considered a fake by conspirationists.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
It was just an observation not a condemnation. Actually like the smaller one.

darkvoice

Reaction score
It was just an observation not a condemnation. Actually like the smaller one.

I am keeping my black Custom with a smaller diamond, I love how it's set up. Perhaps I will try to get next Custom with a larger one :)

Do we know what kind of diamond is on other Customs? Silverburst was released this year - from the photos on the dealer sites it appears to have large diamond.

Do white Customs have large one as well?

Is Epiphone Prophecy considered Custom too? It actually has a smaller diamond.

Latest Threads