NGD - Les Paul Custom Ebony

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ugh! The guitar just left Sweetwater today, not on Friday. Oh Well, I am supposed to get it this Friday according to Fedex delivery date. Knowing Fedex, I will probably not get it on Friday though, they have been running so slow lately.

Midnight Blues

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
You have the Gibson Frampton, very nice!

I am hoping that they make the Frampton model again with the new headstock and of course the quality is much better now. Hey... I can dream. :naughty:

Yes I do and I love it! I wish it was all mahogany, but... I would love to get one of "The Phenix" models that were made (35 and signed), but the original price and even the ones I've seen for sale since, was/are outrageous!

Gibson is going to come out with a VOS version, which isn't as "aged" as the original, which will be available through the Custom Shop. I just don't know how much they'll be? IF and that's a big IF, I have the disposable income (highly unlikely), I might go for it?

BdBzBTC.png

:cheers2:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Sweet, I am thinking it will be around $6995 or $7995 which is what a lot of the VOS Custom Shops are going for. If we're lucky, it will be $5995. I will wait until it comes back around to the Epiphone Custom Pro again, I am hoping.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I got one of those from Sweetwater as well. It in fact lead me to buy a Joe Bonamassa as soon as I saw they came out. I like the neck on mine a lot. It is very much like my 2019 SG Standard and 2011 R0. Both of which are ebony. Hmm, I seem to have a thing for black guitars :D

I didn't get the Plek, though so I am looking forward to hearing your report. When do you expect to receive it? I' m about to order something else and am pondering the Plek set up.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
Sweet, I am thinking it will be around $6995 or $7995 which is what a lot of the VOS Custom Shops are going for. If we're lucky, it will be $5995. I will wait until it comes back around to the Epiphone Custom Pro again, I am hoping.

sorry to burst your bubble but Gibson has been pricing all their Artist stuff at 10K, so that's what I expect the PF Phenix to be going for.

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score

I actually bought my Joe B Black Beauty with the idea of converting it to a Phenix. Having second thoughts about doing that now. Might sell it and wait for Epiphone to release a Phenix instead.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I actually bought my Joe B Black Beauty with the idea of converting it to a Phenix. Having second thoughts about doing that now. Might sell it and wait for Epiphone to release a Phenix instead.
The Peter Frampton has a slimmer neck than the Joe BB, so hopefully Epiphone does do the Phenix again. I am not paying 7-10k for a guitar, I just don't have that much money to put into a guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I just took my Joe BB off of the wall and cleaned it up nicely before putting in its case. I want to make sure it is kept very well preserved, just in case it is worth something some day. Now I have an open spot ready for my new Custom, I can't wait.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
Yep, I am really liking the new headstock, it does not look like a cheap wanna be Les Paul anymore. And the larger diamond on the customs really sets it off nicely, very bad ass for sure.

thats awesome man. i really enjoy mine easily one of the best of the epi lp collection. though i'm really digging this 50's standard i just got...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Well, Fedex drops the ball again. It has taken 2 days to travel from one part of California to another part of California. I will probably get it on Monday now. That is par for the course now-a-days with Fedex, to deliver a package 2-3 days after the original expected delivery date.

Also... something a little off with this order from Sweetwater. They usually do not charge you until your guitar ships, this time they charged me like 3 days before it shipped. It may have had something to do with getting it Plek'd. The guitar came in and after initial pictures and such, they sent it to the Luthiers go get the Plek/Setup completed, which took a day or two.

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Well, the guitar finally arrived. I opened it up immediately and started playing. The setup is great, the guitar feels really good and the tone is awesome, love the pickups. The $250 to get it Plek'd is worth it in my opinion, if you don't do your own fretwork and setups.

guitarwall.jpg

epilpcustom1.jpg

epilpcustom3.jpg

epilpcustom2.jpg

Last edited:

DeafDumbBlind Kid

Reaction score
I wonder what they charge if you send a guitar to them to be plek'd. I can probably find somebody closer, maybe Boston, to do it instead. My LPC is what convinced me to grab that JB BB LPC, which is now in the classifieds.

Randy_Lahey

Reaction score
I have a new black custom that I got used at GC shipped. I eventually fell in love with it. But setup was atrocious and frets weren’t the best. Your plek WILL solve those issues. It’s a damm nice guitar for the $. Stock pickups are hit and miss IMO. Try experimenting with height and pole pieces adjustments. You’ll love it I’m sure!!!!

Central Scrutinizer

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
Congratulations.

I too purchased one of these from Sweetwater right when the 2020s came out with the new headstock. Also had it Plekd before they shipped it.
The quality is much better than the price you pay.
It is a great guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I jammed on her for about an hour today, very nice, very smooth and the intonation is perfect everywhere. It is amazing when a guitar is setup properly, it is very easy to play.

Latest Threads