NGD: Les Paul Custom 3-Pickup Black Beauty

indravayu

Reaction score
Yesterday I picked up a guitar that I have long dreamed of owning - a 57RI Les Paul Custom 3-Pickup Black Beauty.

This one is a 2013 Custom Shop 20th Anniversary - apparently they only made 100 of these - and Sam Ash out here in Hollywood (where I bought it) is the only store I have seen one in person.

I played it once back in 2013 and loved the sound and feel of it, but didn't have the cash for it. I would gaze up at it every time I went to the store over the past 3 years. A couple weeks back it went on clearance for a great price, so I unloaded some gear and scraped together enough to buy it.

The neck is chunky, as you would expect for a 57RI, but not uncomfortable. Really nice looking ebony board. The Custom Buckers are supposedly custom wound for this run and has a slightly more powerful bridge pickup. Really great mid range and high end response.

The guitar is pretty light for a Custom - has to be around 8.5lbs - and is very resonant. All mahogany body - no maple cap.

I had to laugh when I opened up the case for the first time, as this is one of the models that they issued with a white shroud and white gloves - so cheesy! :laugh2:

Sounds heavenly through my Metro-Plex:

indravayu

Reaction score
Thanks, fellas - this is definitely a dream guitar for me! I have never owned a Custom before and it takes a little getting used to with the third pickup, but I love the way this thing plays and sounds.

rockinlespaul

Oxblood Addict
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Oh I bet that sounds like a million bucks thru that rig!!!

Rudi nailed it with the tuxedo. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pictures. Absolutely fantastic! :applause:

Pure elegance, tone and rock and roll all wrapped into one package. The creme dela creme. Congratulations and enjoy! :cheers::dude:

indravayu

Reaction score
Oh I bet that sounds like a million bucks thru that rig!!!

Rudi nailed it with the tuxedo. That was the first thing that came to mind when I saw the pictures. Absolutely fantastic! :applause:

Pure elegance, tone and rock and roll all wrapped into one package. The creme dela creme. Congratulations and enjoy! :cheers::dude:
It does indeed! Thanks!!

THDNUT

Reaction score
The white gloves aren't cheesy, they're to be worn when you tune it up to save the gold plating on the tuners. :thumb:

Nice BB! Congrats.

indravayu

Reaction score
The white gloves aren't cheesy, they're to be worn when you tune it up to save the gold plating on the tuners. :thumb:

Nice BB! Congrats.
Thanks!

Speaking of which, I have to say that these Waffle Back tuners are fantastic - probably the smoothest that I have ever had on a guitar.