NGD - Les Paul Classic Olive Drab

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Wow, this is the way a brand-new Gibson Les Paul guitar should be for everyone with the price we pay. Still perfectly in tune the next day and is just a dream to play, having a really great feel with fantastic tone acoustically and through the amp. I just don't want to put it down once I start playing it, so much fun and really puts a smile on my face for hours. This is the best playing/feeling brand new out of box guitar I have ever gotten from Gibson; I am so glad they got it right on this one.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Ok, so I purchased the Gotoh Locking tuners Vintage style and the Kluson Revolution Locking tuners. I will put one of each on and see which I like better. I already have the Gotoh on my Lazarus, they work great and really have that Vintage Keystone tuner look since they don't have the locking nuts on the top side of the headstock. They were just a straight drop in replacing the Epiphone Deluxe tuners. But... Since this guitar has the Grover Rotomatics with 1 screw and the locking nuts, I am not sure they will just work without some extra work, which is why I got the Kluson's, they may be better for this guitar. I would like to hear any comments on which you think will work better. @rbraad68

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
@rbraad68 Switched over to Kluson Locking Tuners, looks so much better to my eyes.

LesPaulClassic_6.jpg
Kluson5.jpg

LesPaulClassic_4.jpg

Kluson6.jpg

Attachments

• Kluson6.jpg
    Kluson6.jpg
    265.4 KB · Views: 4
Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
So, the one screw hole did line up and I just put one screw in right now. If I have any tuning stability issues, I will drill and put in the other screw. I also gave the fretboard another oiling while having the strings off.

Kluson1.jpg
Kluson2.jpg
Kluson3.jpg
Kluson4.jpg
Kluson5.jpg

Last edited:

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
@rbraad68 Switched over to Kluson Locking Tuners, looks so much better to my eyes.
The new tuners do look good, and also offer a locking functionality upgrade which is very nice. I would bet that with the strings on and a good tightening, you will be alright with just the single screw. I like how you care so much for your guitar to not add additional screws for the new tuners -- I am like that too. Cool guitar.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Oh yeah man the pearl buttons really set that thing off!! Thing looks great man !!
Thanks. If I go up and down on the pictures of the headstocks above, it really is a no brainer which ones look better. :thumb: It really is Night and Day between the two.

1allspub

Reaction score
I am with you... I prefer the look of the keystones over kidneys all day. As for which style of keystone (ie, nickel or chrome or plastic) it just depends on the guitar. On your olive I much prefer the more organic look of the plastic.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Music Nomad Diamond Coated Nut Slotting file set for 10-46 with case. Not cheap but not super expensive either. These work really well for the adjustments you need to make. $90 on Amazon. They did not have the 10-46 the last time I looked a month ago, but luckily, they had like 5 in stock recently and I picked up a set. It cost less to purchase this for myself than getting a setup with nut adjustments done from a luthier, so I bit the bullet. The only thing this new guitar needed was a few small adjustments to the nut and this worked great. I can sometimes have heavy fingers and now the nut is perfect for me, no sharp chords on the first few frets now.

MusicNomadFiles1.jpg
MusicNomadFiles2.jpg

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Here is my review after having the guitar for over a week. I think the Kluson Revolution Locking tuners, when pulled tight and locked down, you lose a little bit of tone. I pulled the strings back one fret worth of length before locking the strings in place, to allow the string to wrap around the tunning peg one turn and I got back the lost tone.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Gibson sent me the replacement volume reflector knobs, I think it looks better now. The Gary Moore look was not bad, but I think this is better. I also took off the Poker Chip, I think this guitar looks great without the pickguard and poker chip. Super clean look showing off the great Olive Drab color.

LesPaulClassic_9.jpg
LesPaulClassic_8.jpg

1allspub

Reaction score
Great review/demo... looks much better with all 4 reflector knobs and the pearloid Klusons. And while I am usually a pickguard “on” guy (I do like the look without, I just don’t like the screw holes it leaves behind if the pickguard was already drilled for) I am non-negotiable when it comes to poker chips being in place... so I gotta part ways with ya on that! ;).

Enjoy!

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My 2017 Gibson Les Paul Studio HP came with the no poker chip look and the silent switch, so I really started to like the no poker chip look. I think a Les Paul Custom needs a pickguard and of course a poker chip, it just really completes that Les Paul Custom look to my eyes.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I think what also contributes to the clean look of this guitar, is the binding over the fret wire. With the Zebra pickups, the olive drab color and the binding over the fret wire, it really sets this guitar off with a super clean look. I love it.

lpclassic_binding.jpg

lpclassic_cleanlook.jpg

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Oh yeah man the pearl buttons really set that thing off!! Thing looks great man !!
I found that the Kluson Locking tuners took a little bit of tone away from the Grover Rotomatics that were on my guitar. The Grover Rotomatics did have 2-3 winds around the tunning peg. After putting the Kluson Locking tuners on, I found the tone from the strings did not ring out as much acoustically or through the amp. I had the Gibson warranty tech put new strings on when he fixed the pickup spring issue and I told him to pull back just a little before locking down the strings, so they could get 1 wrap around the tuning pegs. I got back that little bit of tone loss, so it is fine now. I wonder if my other guitars had a little tone loss from pulling the strings tight, locking them down and then tune up.

Let me know what you think about the possible little bit of tone loss from using locking tuners. It could just be the Kluson Revolution Locking tuners, since I did not seem to notice it on my other locking tuners. Or maybe there was some tone loss on the other ones, and I just did not notice it as much.

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I awlays go for 1 or 2 wraps with my lockin tuners so i never noticed the tone loss. If anything I seem to get more resonation with the locking tuners....

Latest Threads