NGD Just Purchased an R6 Les Paul Gold Top

mjross

Reaction score
Could someone clarify the previous comment about changing the pickup covers. I’m thinking that it is in regard to the difference in color compared to the pickguard. If so, where is the best place to get a matching set in the correct size and color that would match the pickguard. Any input to shed some light on this would be appreciated!

kungpow!

Reaction score
Pickup covers

I, like most, dont like those pinkish brown stock Gibson covers

I like the bone white look

The newer Gibson ones look much more accurate

There are high dollar Throbak ones

I think I have Frailns on my R4, which are kind of a butter cream

Otherwise, enjoy, such a great guitar!

mjross

Reaction score
If anyone has a reasonably priced set of the lighter color covers (bone white) please let me know. Thanks!

mjross

Reaction score
Pickup covers

I, like most, dont like those pinkish brown stock Gibson covers

I like the bone white look

The newer Gibson ones look much more accurate

There are high dollar Throbak ones

I think I have Frailns on my R4, which are kind of a butter cream

Otherwise, enjoy, such a great guitar!
thank you sir for the input, greatly appreciated!

Jake_Jakerson

Reaction score
Just got a wild hair a few minutes ago and purchased an R6 Gold Top. I’ve never been a P90 guy always liked humbuckers, but thought I’d give it a try. Pretty excited to give it a spin. Any input would be appreciated!

View attachment 523717
Happy NGD! That's a killer! p90s and a LP are a match made in heaven!!

uncle mud

Reaction score
I spent many years switching out humbuckers on my Les Pauls trying to get the sound I heard in my head. Not to mention the cost. I decided I wanted a R6 so I would have something different. Now I have done a 360. I now have a few p90 Les Pauls and those are the ones I play. My favorite by far is a "54 reissue with P90's and a wrap around tailpiece/bridge combo. A long tone search comes to an end.........maybe

judson

Reaction score
looks great

take off the guard, leave the covers unless it bugs you and play it loud and often

i think you will enjoy the P90s if you never had a set, i find most of them more clear and distinct , chimey in clean mode if you want that sound its there...and they will get dirty just as easy

but really get rid of that guard and put some long hard miles on that baby :dude:

goldtop0

Reaction score
I spent many years switching out humbuckers on my Les Pauls trying to get the sound I heard in my head. Not to mention the cost. I decided I wanted a R6 so I would have something different. Now I have done a 360. I now have a few p90 Les Pauls and those are the ones I play. My favorite by far is a "54 reissue with P90's and a wrap around tailpiece/bridge combo. A long tone search comes to an end.........maybe

What difference do you notice with the R4 vs R6.........or any other TOM/Stoptail gibby you have or have played?

mjross

Reaction score
Someone (judson) suggested removing the pickguard. What do you think, I’m diggin it! And I‘m a pickguard kind of guy. Seems to work with this guitar. Hmmmmmmm........

don’t know why the hell the pic rotated!

A0BF40E5-2479-414B-B295-E1C1F8FCA54F.jpeg

Last edited:

bungle

Reaction score
Sweet guitar but it appears to be backwards!:shock: Enjoy!

blustrat

Reaction score
This guitar does not have a COA, seller stated that he never received one. Not that it really matters, did any of you receive a COA for a 2001 Custom Shop guitar. I’ve researched and it appears that COA’s started in 2002. However, I think I saw a COA for a 2001 somewhere! Any input would be greatly appreciated!
I have COA for 2000 R6

mjross

Reaction score
I have COA for 2000 R6
Yeah, I’ve seen it both ways. Talked to a guy that bought a new 2001 and never received a COA. Gibson may have been in COA transition at the time. Nonetheless, this guitar plays so well I could care less about a COA!

Latest Threads