NGD Just Purchased an R6 Les Paul Gold Top

mjross

Reaction score
Just got a wild hair a few minutes ago and purchased an R6 Gold Top. I’ve never been a P90 guy always liked humbuckers, but thought I’d give it a try. Pretty excited to give it a spin. Any input would be appreciated!

6DE158BC-176C-434B-BCE5-481201A099C3.jpeg

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
This is going to sound a little strange but I think one of the things that held me back is the look! I’ve always liked the look of humbuckers over P90’s. Les Pauls with P90’s just looked a little plain to me. I’ll just have to get over it. Many of you really dig P90’s so there’s got to be something there. Can’t wait to plug her in!

blustrat

Reaction score
Just got a wild hair a few minutes ago and purchased an R6 Gold Top. I’ve never been a P90 guy always liked humbuckers, but thought I’d give it a try. Pretty excited to give it a spin. Any input would be appreciated!

View attachment 523717
I just did the same last month and have not put it down . The R9 is starting to get upset ....

goldtop0

Reaction score
Good one.........there aren't many lefties around.......... :cool2:
What year is it?
I got a '13 some years ago now and was blown away by the neck P90 having greater clarity compared to my humbuckered LPs............just too good..........you're gonna love it!!
And yours has the honey/gold finish like mine.......the same as the '50s GTs.

mjross

Reaction score
Good one.........there aren't many lefties around.......... :cool2:
What year is it?
I got a '13 some years ago now and was blown away by the neck P90 having greater clarity compared to my humbuckered LPs............just too good..........you're gonna love it!!
And yours has the honey/gold finish like mine.......the same as the '50s GTs.
2001! From what I can tell, Gibson does not offer the R6 in a lefty anymore! Thought I’d better grab this one as I’m not sure when I’d find another lefty. I’m a little jacked! I have a few Les Pauls but this one just might be special.

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
This guitar does not have a COA, seller stated that he never received one. Not that it really matters, did any of you receive a COA for a 2001 Custom Shop guitar. I’ve researched and it appears that COA’s started in 2002. However, I think I saw a COA for a 2001 somewhere! Any input would be greatly appreciated!

filtersweep

Reaction score
I’d totally be into that— if it were right handed.

I have a P90 Tribute that is awesome— gets more use than my R8 (which is also awesome). An R6 is my next dream guitar— just because (plus it has a proper bridge).

rhys1157

Reaction score
Obviously depending on amp and style I think you’ll be surprised just how close a good p90 is to a humbucker. For me I love the chewy character of the p90 and I really think it has very similar sounds available,

wholelottaburst

Reaction score
Did someone say "... a wild hair..." and "Goldtop" in the same sentence?

Zappa's '54....
Zappa54Goldtop-2.jpg

Latest Threads