NGD!!! Juniors Back!!!

bpolo

Reaction score
So this just came today, and I’m beyond thrilled with it so far. I’ve had the 2010 Junior back when they were making them in satin with the skinny necks and ended up getting rid of it. It just always felt like a consolation prize, . All I can say is, this new 2020 Junior is as close to getting a custom shop that I’ll ever come, because I’m not dishing out $3500 for one. This thing is absolutely gorgeous. It just checks all the boxes. Gloss Nitro, body shape and neck closer to the original’s, angled bridge, one piece body, handWired etc. you know the deal. The nitro seems like they sprayed it on ever so slightly thick but man does it smell good!!! The neck is super comfortable and full feeling but not OG baseball bat. Just a joy to play. And to boot I got it for $999 because of a minuscule hairline scratch on the heel that literally was purely on the surface of the nitro and buffed out with a polishing cloth. I’m no Gibson Junior expert, but I can say from my first impression it feels great, sounds great with the nasty p-90, sustain Galore and Rings like a bell unplugged . I’ll never let it go, not after looking for a proper Junior for the last few years That I could afford and only ever finding the junky 2015’s that nobody wanted. Oh and it was inspected on Halloween. I keep picturing some dude drunk at the Gibson factory all alone, and dressed up in KISS makeup signing Gibson inspection cards.
38154204-30E6-4478-BE35-62517F9FB215.jpeg
6FB8DADF-19F5-4B22-BF79-BCED67EDE827.jpeg

Last edited:

endial

Reaction score
I got my 2019 for the very same reasons you mentioned above. I also have a 2007 and the neck is much slimmer, although I think I may have gotten a pretty freakish neck on my '19 because it's definitely borderline baseball batty. Wonder if they slimmed down a bit for the 2020's. Anyways, it's a keeper, as I'm sure yours is too. Enjoy. I enjoy the heck out of mine.

* That Halloween scenario is hilarious.

20200729_134809.1.jpg

Congrats!

PauloQS

Reaction score
Wonder if they slimmed down a bit for the 2020's.
Not really. What happens is that necks are rough cut on CNCs and hand finished afterwards, thus we see some variation as a result. I’ve seen neck depths on these ‘50s neck at the 1st fret as thin as 0.86” and as thick as 0.91”. Usually they are close in depth to the new (2018 and after) R9s. However, 0.91” is closer to R8 territory.

Latest Threads