NGD: Joe Perry/Slash Dark Burst R9 w/ Deluxe Historic Makeovers Package

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
New (old) guitar day: As I did with my CC#1 VOS, I sent Kim and the team at Historic Makeovers my Joe Perry Signature VOS R9 to do a custom aging job to match the real guitar famous for being the burst Slash used in the November Rain video. I was never going to be able to afford the Gibson Murphy-aged version, the prices are insane, so this was really my best option (not that it was cheap by any means, but still significantly cheaper) - and to be honest I think it looks more authentic than a lot of the Murphys I’ve seen, and with the Deluxe HM Package and Brazilian board, it’s more accurate too. Finish-wise, I specifically wanted it to look like it did when Joe had it in the 70s. I figure the color can fade naturally, and frankly I didn’t like the original color on the VOS, at all. HM did an amazing job, and Kim said it’s one of his favorite theme aging jobs they’ve ever done. All hardware and plastics sourced and custom-aged by Steve Poole at Vintage Haven; and the pickups and wiring harness are a custom-ordered job by James (@cooljuk) at Re-Wind, wound using NOS 50s wire, who also did a fantastic job of aging the covers to match the real guitar. (And special thanks to MLP member @Torshalla for selling me the original VOS!)

You can see all the great HM pics here: https://historicmakeovers.smugmug.com/Shipped-2021/Bohan-JP-59-135/n-d5wbfx/

I’ll try to record some sound clips but that will have to be a future post. For now I just wanted to share the finished product. This thing looks, feels, plays, and sounds better than it did before, hands down. I realize some people might think I'm crazy for doing this, and I realize I would never recoup my money back, but I would never sell this thing anyway. It was a labor of love.

This was the original pre-makeover. Insanely good guitar to start with but I just never got used to the color, which is hard to describe but never looked like a true dark burst and just didn’t do it for me. I eventually decided I had to have it aged, one way or another. Glad I picked HM!

Last edited:

BigJim

Reaction score
I saw this when they posted it on Instagram!

Amazing job!

Torshalla

Reaction score
I saw pics on facebook from HM and thought i recognized the flame top from the VOS I sold you haha! It looks amazing... very happy for you. And to see that this guitar has been given a chance for a major upgrade.
I really loved it and am very happy to see you take great care of her!

mjross

Reaction score
New (old) guitar day: As I did with my CC#1 VOS, I sent Kim and the team at Historic Makeovers my Joe Perry Signature VOS R9 to do a custom aging job to match the real guitar famous for being the burst Slash used in the November Rain video. I was never going to be able to afford the Gibson Murphy-aged version, the prices are insane, so this was really my best option (not that it was cheap by any means, but still significantly cheaper) - and to be honest I think it looks more authentic than a lot of the Murphys I’ve seen, and with the Deluxe HM Package and Brazilian board, it’s more accurate too. Finish-wise, I specifically wanted it to look like it did when Joe had it in the 70s. I figure the color can fade naturally, and frankly I didn’t like the original color on the VOS, at all. HM did an amazing job, and Kim said it’s one of his favorite theme aging jobs they’ve ever done. All hardware and plastics sourced and custom-aged by Steve Poole at Vintage Haven; and the pickups and wiring harness are a custom-ordered job by James (@cooljuk) at Re-Wind, wound using NOS 50s wire, who also did a fantastic job of aging the covers to match the real guitar. (And special thanks to @Torshalla for selling me the original VOS!)

You can see all the great HM pics here: https://historicmakeovers.smugmug.com/Shipped-2021/Bohan-JP-59-135/n-d5wbfx/

I’ll try to record some sound clips but that will have to be a future post. For now I just wanted to share the finished product. This thing looks, feels, plays, and sounds better than it did before, hands down. I realize some people might think I'm crazy for doing this, and I realize I would never make my money back, but I would never sell this thing. It was a labor of love.

This was the original pre-makeover. Insanely good guitar to start with but I just never got used to the color, which is hard to describe but just didn’t do it for me. I eventually decided I had to have it aged, one way or another. Glad I picked HM!
I’m diggin it! May not have said that a year or so ago. After owning a few relics, I finally get it.

RocketKing

Reaction score
It looks great, congratulations!
I also don't "get" the Murphy lab thing to be honest.
It's not about the relic thing itself.
It's that, like you, I think the prices make no sense especially when people like HM or Jaeger do better IMO for less money too.
I say you made a good decision, considering what you wanted.
Enjoy! :slash:

RocketKing

Reaction score
Can you tell me more details on the pick ups?
I've got a Rewind pick up set and harness too and I'm a big fan so I'm curious to know what you went with and what you think about it.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Just to answer everyone in one reply:

@Torshalla - Yup, I couldn’t resist. As great a guitar as it was, I was just always GASing for the aged version. I figured this was my only way to get one considering they’re selling for $20-30K apparently. And I really have to say this transformed the guitar from one I loved to a guitar that might just be my #1 now; I can’t put it down. Kim at HM really loves the way it turned out too, he was really gushing about it. Thanks again.

@mjross - I know what you mean, I didn’t “get” the aged thing at all until I was talked into my first Murphy in 2018. Now I can’t get enough of them. But this isn’t just any old aged guitar. I particularly like the ones that mimic a famous burst, and think it makes the most sense vs. aging one just to age one, but I can appreciate them all now.

@RocketKing - Unfortunately I couldn’t tell you what James did with these pickups and harness.They are a completely custom set wound to order with vintage 50s wire. I just told him what I was doing, and as soon as he heard that I was working on a Perry/Slash burst replica, he said he knew exactly what to do. He said he knew that guitar and its sound really well and knew how to recreate its pickups. He made me another custom Greeny set last year and I love them, so I put all my faith into him and just paid him and let him do his thing. I don’t regret it. I wish I could help guide you but my best advice would be to talk to James directly, tell him what you want, and see what he recommends. He’s super helpful, has an encyclopedic knowledge of vintage pickups and wiring, and goes above and beyond to help you get the right pickups for the right guitar. I highly recommend his stuff. They get the closest to vintage sound I’ve heard from aftermarket pickups, IMO.

calieng

Reaction score
It looks great, congratulations!
I also don't "get" the Murphy lab thing to be honest.
It's not about the relic thing itself.
It's that, like you, I think the prices make no sense especially when people like HM or Jaeger do better IMO for less money too.
I say you made a good decision, considering what you wanted.
Enjoy! :slash:
That package costs $4500 you know...

I have my Ace Frehley in just for a repaint for $2k+ Now I am rethinking a Brazilian board...damn!

To the OP - awesome job and major congrats!

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
they do such great work over there ....Damn .....thats nice

Please feel free to enjoy!

And why is it he (Kim) gets those inlays right everytime...?

Gibson just cant get them right ...

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
Damn, between this and your Greenie I just have one observation:

You don't [email protected]#* around when it comes to your vision for making an LP exactly the way you want it!
Haha - thanks I’ll take that as a compliment! I figure if I’m gonna do something like this, especially to a special edition guitar, I should go ALL IN and spare no expense. Plus projects like this have helped pass the time while social distancing and in general being stuck home 95% of the time. If only I had the money to keep going with another replica... I’m gonna have to save up for a while but I think Pearly will be next, but it’s gonna be a while before that happens. HM’s theme aging prices have gone up significantly, so it only makes sense to try to recreate my all-time favorite famous bursts. But with Greeny, this one, and Pearly, the Gibson Murphy-aged editions are priced so outrageously you can still save thousands of dollars going the HM route.

RocketKing

Reaction score
That package costs $4500 you know...

I have my Ace Frehley in just for a repaint for $2k+ Now I am rethinking a Brazilian board...damn!

To the OP - awesome job and major congrats!
Well it's better than what Gibson currently makes imho

RocketKing

Reaction score
Just to answer everyone in one reply:

@Torshalla - Yup, I couldn’t resist. As great a guitar as it was, I was just always GASing for the aged version. I figured this was my only way to get one considering they’re selling for $20-30K apparently. And I really have to say this transformed the guitar from one I loved to a guitar that might just be my #1 now; I can’t put it down. Kim at HM really loves the way it turned out too, he was really gushing about it. Thanks again.

@mjross - I know what you mean, I didn’t “get” the aged thing at all until I was talked into my first Murphy in 2018. Now I can’t get enough of them. But this isn’t just any old aged guitar. I particularly like the ones that mimic a famous burst, and think it makes the most sense vs. aging one just to age one, but I can appreciate them all now.

@RocketKing - Unfortunately I couldn’t tell you what James did with these pickups and harness.They are a completely custom set wound to order with vintage 50s wire. I just told him what I was doing, and as soon as he heard that I was working on a Perry/Slash burst replica, he said he knew exactly what to do. He said he knew that guitar and its sound really well and knew how to recreate its pickups. He made me another custom Greeny set last year and I love them, so I put all my faith into him and just paid him and let him do his thing. I don’t regret it. I wish I could help guide you but my best advice would be to talk to James directly, tell him what you want, and see what he recommends. He’s super helpful, has an encyclopedic knowledge of vintage pickups and wiring, and goes above and beyond to help you get the right pickups for the right guitar. I highly recommend his stuff. They get the closest to vintage sound I’ve heard from aftermarket pickups, IMO.
Thanks for your reply.
Yeah I also had a very good experience with him and the praise is well deserved.
I'm sure you've got a great set there but especially an overall beautiful guitar so once again : congratulations and rock n roll:cheers2:

Latest Threads