NGD: Joe Bonamassa 'Lazarus' + 1959 Lemon Honeyburst

sgarnett

Reaction score
Somehow the stock matte finish makes me think of old Formica laminate on particle board countertops. It really flattens the illusion of depth in flame maple. Haven’t seen a JB in person, but the edges of the 59 also have a sharper quality compared to the 50s standard, again like the Formica laminate that was trimmed with a router. Polishing won’t change that.

The 59 is a great guitar, but it seems crazy that the 50s and 60s standards get a nicer finish.

fry

Reaction score
Somehow the stock matte finish makes me think of old Formica laminate on particle board countertops. It really flattens the illusion of depth in flame maple. Haven’t seen a JB in person, but the edges of the 59 also have a sharper quality compared to the 50s standard, again like the Formica laminate that was trimmed with a router. Polishing won’t change that.

The 59 is a great guitar, but it seems crazy that the 50s and 60s standards get a nicer finish.
A lot of people have a negative opinion of that poly finish on most Epiphones. The 59 can be polished up to a hell of a nice gloss, lots of people here have done it. I am genuinely surprised at how shiny they can get.

syco

Reaction score
A lot of people have a negative opinion of that poly finish on most Epiphones. The 59 can be polished up to a hell of a nice gloss, lots of people here have done it. I am genuinely surprised at how shiny they can get.
I know .... " To each their own " but the "thing " every body hates about the ' 59 is why I like them . I don't care about the " upgraded " bits and pieces . I like it for the " dull ..... matte ....etc ,etc " finish . I know there are differences ..... but the 50's Standard is spec'd almost the same ..... and it comes "shiny " . I'll probably get one and figure out how to "dull " it . But I do wish they would come out with a few different colors on the ' 59 .

rbraad68

Reaction score
Mine came out great and I did mine by hand. Some of these other guys used a buffing wheel on theirs making it look like glass..... I don't know what that guy above is talking about ??

polishing 09.jpg
59 0011234.jpg

Latest Threads