NGD - Jerry Cantrell 'Wino' Les Paul Custom

Pancreas

Reaction score
I am not into the Silver Burst at all, so the Adam Jones Custom is not something I care for. I am thinking it will be similar to the JC for specs though, maybe coming with the new 98T Pro Pickup.
As of now, they're showing the Adam Jones coming with Seymour Duncans. Not sure which ones, but I'm sure it'll be over $1,000 when it finally arrives. I prefer the color of the JC Custom also, but I've been an avid Tool fan since the 90's, and was even fortunate enough to meet them several times. I guess I'm just a total Tool nerd.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I picked this nice little kit up from Amazon. I had looked for nut slot files a couple months ago, and these in the 10-46 size were not available. I tried some cheap ones that use sand paper with Hard Plastic 10-46 size and the thinner ones worked twice but that was it, they warped/bent out of shape. I saw on Amazon that these were back in stock and had to get the set. Music Nomad Diamond Coated Nut Slotting Files 10-46 size. I purchased a new Les Paul Classic that needed the nut filed a little bit and also to adjust the G string on my Wino, since it was still catching a little bit. They work great, I definitely recommend them for anyone that likes to do there own guitar setups/adjustments.

MusicNomadFiles1.jpg

MusicNomadFiles2.jpg

Last edited:

rbraad68

Reaction score
I picked this nice little kit up from Amazon. I had looked for nut slot files a couple months ago, and these in the 10-46 size were not available. I tried some cheap ones that use sand paper with Hard Plastic 10-46 size and the thinner ones worked twice but that was it, they warped/bent out of shape. I saw on Amazon that these were back in stock and had to get the set. Music Nomad Diamond Coated Nut Slotting Files 10-46 size. I purchased a new Les Paul Classic that needed the nut filed a little bit and also to adjust the G string on my Wino, since it was still catching a little bit. They work great, I definitely recommend for anything that likes to do there own guitar setups/adjustments.

View attachment 623351
View attachment 623352
Yeah man sometimes it doesn't save you money to buy the shit twice. Always better to pay a little more. I have been really lucky so far with the nuts that are coming on these epiphones. But my Tribute is another story. The slots were cut to deep i am going to one day have to replace the nut. Action is super low on the G-B-E strings almost causes problems...

rjwilson37

Reaction score
The plastic ones I got were only like $20 with shipping on ebay, I did not know they were plastic with sandpaper until they arrived. I was able to get it to work a little bit for my need, but then it was pretty much destroyed. I did not want to pay $150-$200 for a really good to exceptional set, so I figured I would try them for $20. They were really junk though in the end. These Music Nomad ones are perfect for people like us, that use them a few times a year here and there. I am sure a Luthier would love these as well, but doing setups and bone nut changes and such a lot, I am sure they would go for professional grade stuff that will last years. These would probably only last a Luthier 6 months when they use them several times a week, especially a lot of filing on a new replacement nut. But... for people like us, these will last me a lifetime.

Arf

Reaction score
The plastic ones I got were only like $20 with shipping on ebay, I did not know they were plastic with sandpaper until they arrived. I was able to get it to work a little bit for my need, but then it was pretty much destroyed. I did not want to pay $150-$200 for a really good to exceptional set, so I figured I would try them for $20. They were really junk though in the end. These Music Nomad ones are perfect for people like us, that use them a few times a year here and there. I am sure a Luthier would love these as well, but doing setups and bone nut changes and such a lot, I am sure they would go for professional grade stuff that will last years. These would probably only last a Luthier 6 months when they use them several times a week, especially a lot of filing on a new replacement nut. But... for people like us, these will last me a lifetime.
Hey, I haven't tuned in since you first bought the Wino. Do you know how much it weighs? I was wondering if there's a typical weight range on theses, or if anybody else has commented on theirs? I was wondering if these are typically heavy, light, or all over the map.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Hey, I haven't tuned in since you first bought the Wino. Do you know how much it weighs? I was wondering if there's a typical weight range on theses, or if anybody else has commented on theirs? I was wondering if these are typically heavy, light, or all over the map.
I am not sure on others, but mine is around 8.5lbs

Last edited:
Reactions: Arf

rbraad68

Reaction score
Nice. For a LP that's not very much.
Ahh thats about right for what people want these days. I have 2 59's that are right around 10 pounds and 2 that are about 8-8.5 pounds.. I think the lighter ones sound better?? Might just be me but I used to say the heavier the better...

Arf

Reaction score
Ahh thats about right for what people want these days. I have 2 59's that are right around 10 pounds and 2 that are about 8-8.5 pounds.. I think the lighter ones sound better?? Might just be me but I used to say the heavier the better...
I don't think the weight, light or heavy makes it better sounding although my '71 Deluxe is 10.5 ib. And I'm sick of the weight. BTW the lightest of my four strats probably sounds the best.

rjwilson37

Reaction score
I was changing between guitars while having my Early Van Halen tone dialed into my 5150 amp with the Headrush MX5, and the Bridge pickup on the JC Wino sounded best. So sweet!

rbraad68

Reaction score
I was changing between guitars while having my Early Van Halen tone dialed into my 5150 amp with the Headrush MX5, and the Bridge pickup on the JC Wino sounded best. So sweet!
Good to see your opinion on this guitar has remained good. If i ever get out of this financial mess these medical problems have caused?? I think I want to check one out. Always thought these customs would benifit from a bigger neck profile. What pup did you put in the bridge or did you leave it stock? I know you mentioned swapping out the neck pup???

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Good to see your opinion on this guitar has remained good. If i ever get out of this financial mess these medical problems have caused?? I think I want to check one out. Always thought these customs would benifit from a bigger neck profile. What pup did you put in the bridge or did you leave it stock? I know you mentioned swapping out the neck pup???
You are correct, I left the Bridge pickup with the 98T Pro it came with, such a great pickup. I did change the neck to a SD 59, very sweet pickup. The Alnico Classic Pro neck pickup that came with it still worked out ok, you just had to lower it a bit, so it did not get too muddy, but will still work out well for most people I am sure. I just wanted to see what a SD 59 would do, which was a little bit of an improvement to an already stellar guitar.

rbraad68

Reaction score
From what I understand the 490r and 498t are close to the combo your using? I took the 490t out of my Tribute and replaced with a 498t and a different PCB with the 4 push pull options. I kinda like the way the guitar sounds. I have enough LPs with low output vintage style pickups. I wanted something with a little more bite. Same with my Laz since I play that the most I wanted a little more bite out of the bridge than the Gibson Alnico2 slash pup. I think the 36th did exactly that for me. One of these days though I want to get one of those classics in the olive drab like you got. That is a sick color i love that guitar man!!!

Latest Threads