NGD. Inspired by 1955 Les Paul Custom

viper007

Reaction score
Like it a lot:)

01.jpg

02.jpg

fry

Reaction score
That is an awesome guitar. One of the coolest ones they made in recent years. They did not make a ton of them, and they are pretty rare. I’d like to see them re-issue it with the redesigned headstock.

1allspub

Reaction score
I almost bought one of these! Really liked the neck and finish and yellowed binding! Super cool! Congrats and HNGD!

irocdave12

Reaction score
Congrats! I concur that these 55’ models are one of the very best that Epiphone has offered in recent years and one of the last with the old style headstocks. They were only around for a short time and are very hard to find in the used market. Here is mine after after a full tear down and rebuild in attempt to make it more authentic to a 1955 Custom. It all started with the finish. It bothered me as soon as I saw it. Having prior experience with a similar finish on another Epiphone I knew how it would age and gloss over with play wear in certain areas. That was something I tried to improve on and honestly is my only gripe about the guitar. They just missed the mark on the finish and should have just done it gloss from the start instead of going for a dulled down black finish meant to mimic a faded and aged original. Thats just my opinion and not a knock on anyone else’s guitars as they are definitely beautiful either way with the stock finish too. So I ended up wet sanding mine and polished to a gloss finish but stopped at the point where some swirls and typical handling wear were still present. I did some extremely light aging to the back of the neck and hardware. Frankly I got lucky as it was my first go at doing a job like this and I could very easily wrecked the guitar which thankfully was not the case. I completely re-wired with good CTS matched pots, Switchcraft jack and switch and Luxe PIO bumble bee caps. And of course the most important part to pulling off the best 1955 look as possible was the P90 “Staple” pick up custom made by Ron Thorn for myself and few other members here just before he took the job overseeing the Fender Custom shop. In the end this guitar sounds absolutely amazing. It came out exceeding my my expectations by far. The neck pup is to die for alone and pure magic blended with the bridge P90. You got a great guitar you are gong to want to hold on to for sure. Hopefully they will do something similar again but if not you’re set with a very desirable Epiphone that you see people on here constantly wishing they had bought when they were available. Good luck with it….
82F43827-8792-4EF7-8CCB-393C1E9F4C34.jpeg
EFFC4A26-9ED3-463E-8338-B2877250B6F7.jpeg
C7D1C4A9-63BC-4CF8-A73B-DDD09EA2DC21.jpeg

Last edited:

Latest Threads