NGD: Inherited my late brother's 2004 Classic

DigitalTone

Reaction score
80DC36EC-0768-4224-81B8-532111BA27EA.jpeg
Kinda NGD anyway, I'm never going to feel like it's mine. I won't gig this or travel with it in case it gets damaged or stolen. Miss you, bro.

smk506

Reaction score
Sorry for your loss DigitalTone, that’s rough. Hopefully you have lots of good memories with your brother and playing your guitar helps hold onto those.

JohnnyN

Just another old geezer
Silver Supporting Member
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
My condolences! That's a nice guitar.

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Awesome guitars -- I love the early 2000s Classics a lot. Sorry about your brother.

joe_cpwe

Reaction score
That's a real beauty, I love the finish on it. Sorry for your loss. It must have been fun having a brother that played guitar too.

RetropM

Reaction score
First, I am very sorry for your loss. That looks like a great guitar and I hope you can enjoy it for years to come as I'm sure your brother would like that very much.

I completely agree with not gigging/touring with a sentimental guitar but that simply makes it that much more special when you sit down to play it at home.

Leee

Extremism in defense of Liberty is no vice
Reaction score
Just can’t beat Classics from that era. I’ve had a few of them, and I still own one I bought new in 2000.

Sorry for the loss of your sibling.
But you have a legit story for a guitar you treasure.

Something I never considered with those tinted vintage inlays, but they actually kind of match that honey finish.
They clash on my cherry burst.

DigitalTone

Reaction score
Just can’t beat Classics from that era. I’ve had a few of them, and I still own one I bought new in 2000.

Sorry for the loss of your sibling.
But you have a legit story for a guitar you treasure.

Something I never considered with those tinted vintage inlays, but they actually kind of match that honey finish.
They clash on my cherry burst.
Yeah I think that it looks best on the honey. These pickups are definitely different, but I don't hate them.

Leee

Reaction score
Yeah…
The ceramic pickups?
They had to go.

I could probably live with them now, because I understand them better, but I hated them 20 years ago.
And that discussion has been beat to death on this forum and others.

My 2000 Classic was central to my education about tones, and definitely pushed me to the lower output, “vintage” PAF thing.

I learned that it is simple to give a little boost to a pickup that sounds good, but a harsh pickup sucks no matter what.
And that I really don’t need THAT much gain anywhere in my signal path.
“Loud” is not a tone. :)

The simplest answer for me was to just buy more guitars.
That way I have one for this and one for that and one for that other thing and one for that other little thing…

Then I discovered that God created the P-90 just for me!

Leee

Reaction score
Oh, and the slim neck.
The 60 slim taper.
Perfect!

Since I started on cheapo Japanese guitars from the 70s and 80s, the legendary Gibson baseball bat never worked for me.
Still don’t like it.

Christosterone

Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sorry to hear about your brother…
my number is an 07 classic…u will love his…

sad for u but happy u have such a beauty to remember him..

-chris

DigitalTone

Reaction score
Oh, and the slim neck.
The 60 slim taper.
Perfect!

Since I started on cheapo Japanese guitars from the 70s and 80s, the legendary Gibson baseball bat never worked for me.
Still don’t like it.
I love the neck on this. I might get another to actually take out and play. If it were mine, I'd swap some 57s in it. I'll learn to control with the ceramics, but this is going to be more of a studio guitar for me so it's no biggie. I do agree that more guitars is the answer!

Elmore

Reaction score
Man, sorry for your loss. That guitar is now a great connection with him. I have a similar situation. My father and I bought me a used routed Les Paul Deluxe when I was heading into 8th grade. He passed away a couple of years ago, and I still have that wonderful guitar. I would not sell it for any price. Your Classic’s ceramic pickups are great for aggressive rock. I like that style. My old Les Paul Deluxe now has Whole Lotta Humbuckers, which I like very much.

Latest Threads