NGD: Iced Tea Burst 2021 R9

1allspub

Reaction score
I was recently in Tennessee visiting my sister and had a chance to swing back by the Gibson Garage in Nashville (was there back in August of '21 as well, killer place... if you're ever in Nashville, it's a must).

Anyway, I spotted an R9 in a local GC in Phoenix (where I presently live) several weeks ago when I stopped to buy some new strings. It was a nice lightweight Dirty Lemon that had a great airy tone and was very resonant. Only problem... it had very significant finish flaw right on the top (see thread I posted about it here) and despite really digging the tone and feel of it, I just couldn't get past that significant flaw. I wasn't really looking for a new guitar at the time anyway, but this particular store in Phoenix doesn't get a lot of R9s and this one really caught my eye.

Long story short... though I didn't get it, it gave me some serious R9 GAS!!!!:Ohno: (I've only ever had R8s when it comes to RIs.)

I knew I was heading to Tennessee in a few weeks though, so I back-burnered the idea and decided to check out what Gibson had at the Gibson Garage when I was in Tennessee.

Even longer story short... I did just that, and snagged a 2021 R9 in Iced Tea Burst while there. Many thanks to Foster Tucker in the Custom Shop wing of the Garage... he was suuuuper cool. Let me noodle around all I wanted... rolled in a couple different amp/cab configs for me to experiment and just generally made the whole process a hugely memorable experience.

After completing the purchase, he arranged a private tour of the "Artists' Lounge" that's secreted in the back of the Gibson Garage (not open to the general public) and even let me into the "Gibson Vault" to view some genuine vintage Gibsons, including (among others) an honest to goodness REAL 1959 Les Paul!!! (first one I have even seen up close in person). Other vintage guitars included a 1958 Flying V in mint condition (cool story behind it), a 1958 triple pickup Black Beauty Custom, a 1957 Goldtop, as well as others (SG, 335, etc). They even had Keith Richards’ Boogie amp there… the one he used to record the song Start Me Up!:cool2:

Anyway, to say it was awesome is a huge understatement!!!

Anyway, back to my new R9. Its datapoint highlights are as follows:
  • Weight: 8.37 pounds
  • Neck: 0.890" / 1.000" (1st & 12th frets)
  • It has the same airy tone and resonance as the finished-flawed one in Phoenix I liked so much... and has an amazing swelling sustain that seems to just hang on forever. Best sustaining guitar I've ever owned.
  • The flame on the top is very peekaboo, which is my favorite type of flame... I just love the way peekaboo flame changes depending on light and angle. It can look like a single A plaintop from one angle and like a wildly flamed AAA+ top from another.
  • Iced Tea Burst is is my favorite all-time Burst color, but like all Iced Teas, it can at times come across redder in pics than it is in person (i.e., it definitely has more of a brown than red vibe in person).
  • This was the 50th guitar I have owned since I started playing at 17 (54 now!).
So… without further ado… let me introduce my new Iced Tea Burst R9… whom I have dubbed “Claudine”.
thumbnail_image1.jpg
thumbnail_image2.jpg
thumbnail_image6.jpg
thumbnail_image7.jpg
thumbnail_image5.jpg
thumbnail_image4.jpg

And here I am with my new R9 inside the Gibson Vault, holding it up to the real 59 Burst (which was also an Iced Tea color). What a great and truly remarkable/memorable experience! :cheers:
Gibson Vault 09.jpg

Last edited:

el84ster

Reaction score
That the exact finish color of my 2016 R8 when I got it. Faded significantly since then. I imagine the phoenix sun will do a quick fade job on yours.
Anyhow, beautiful guitar and cool story!

1allspub

Reaction score
Nice top! How are the 2021 Custombuckers sounding? You keeping them?
You know... honestly, I am pretty impressed with them so far. Could just be the honeymoon phase, but so far have no intention of swapping them out. That said, I am an inveterate tinkerer when it comes to my guitars so after the honeymoon phase wears off we'll see if I can resist. I have a set of Cream T Scan 3 PAFs (Whiskerbuckers w/o all the fancy BFG packaging and paraphenalia) that by all accounts should sound *amazing* in this guitar. But for now... I am pretty content with the CBs. The lack of potting really seems to open them and give them a very nice dynamic.

Anyway, like I said... we'll see. ;) But so far, so good.

1allspub

Reaction score
More pics from inside the Gibson Vault. :drool:

The view upon entering through a secret door hidden behind a bookcase in the Artists' Lounge. ;)
Gibson Vault 00.jpg

The 59 Burst in its glass case.
Gibson Vault 01.jpg

Close up of the 59 Burst (I couldn't see its SN and forgot to ask... regardless, stunning!)
LATE EDIT: Post trip research has revealed this Burst is SN 9 0871.
Gibson Vault 59.jpg

The 58 Flying V in Korina. Other than the natural patina on the hardware, it was dead mint.
Gibson Vault 05.jpg

The 58 triple PAF Black Beauty.
Gibson Vault 03.jpg

The 57 Goldtop.
Gibson Vault 04.jpg

Me with Keef's amp!!! The very one he used to record Start Me Up from the Tattoo You album. This fairly well blew my mind to be able to touch it and inspect it. I even got to turn the knobs. :rofl:
Gibson Vault 06.jpg

Finally, me outside the Vault in the Artists' Lounge with my new R9 on the "stage" where Mark Agnesi films all the Gibson TV vids for YT.
Gibson Vault 07.jpg

Last edited:

bluesoul

Reaction score
I was recently in Tennessee visiting my sister and had a chance to swing back by the Gibson Garage in Nashville (was there back in August of '21 as well, killer place... if you're ever in Nashville, it's a must).

Anyway, I spotted an R9 in a local GC in Phoenix (where I presently live) several weeks ago when I stopped to buy some new strings. It was a nice lightweight Dirty Lemon that had a great airy tone and was very resonant. Only problem... it had very significant finish flaw right on the top (see thread I posted about it here) and despite really digging the tone and feel of it, I just couldn't get past that significant flaw. I wasn't really looking for a new guitar at the time anyway, but this particular store in Phoenix doesn't get a lot of R9s and this one really caught my eye.

Long story short... though I didn't get it, it gave me some serious R9 GAS!!!!:Ohno: (I've only ever had R8s when it comes to RIs.)

I knew I was heading to Tennessee in a few weeks though, so I back-burnered the idea and decided to check out what Gibson had at the Gibson Garage when I was in Tennessee.

Even longer story short... I did just that, and snagged a 2021 R9 in Iced Tea Burst while there. Many thanks to Foster Tucker in the Custom Shop wing of the Garage... he was suuuuper cool. Let me noodle around all I wanted... rolled in a couple different amp/cab configs for me to experiment and just generally made the whole process a hugely memorable experience.

After completing the purchase, he arranged a private tour of the "Artists' Lounge" that's secreted in the back of the Gibson Garage (not open to the general public) and even let me into the "Gibson Vault" to view some genuine vintage Gibsons, including (among others) an honest to goodness REAL 1959 Les Paul!!! (first one I have even seen up close in person). Other vintage guitars included a 1958 Flying V in mint condition (cool story behind it), a 1958 triple pickup Black Beauty Custom, a 1957 Goldtop, as well as others (SG, 335, etc). They even had Keith Richards’ Boogie amp there… the one he used to record the song Start Me Up!:cool2:

Anyway, to say it was awesome is a huge understatement!!!

Anyway, back to my new R9. Its datapoint highlights are as follows:
  • Weight: 8.37 pounds
  • Neck: 0.890" / 1.000" (1st & 12th frets)
  • It has the same airy tone and resonance as the finished-flawed one in Phoenix I liked so much... and has an amazing swelling sustain that seems to just hang on forever. Best sustaining guitar I've ever owned.
  • The flame on the top is very peekaboo, which is my favorite type of flame... I just love the way peekaboo flame changes depending on light and angle. It can look like a single A plaintop from one angle and like a wildly flamed AAA+ top from another.
  • Iced Tea Burst is is my favorite all-time Burst color, but like all Iced Teas, it can at times come across redder in pics than it is in person (i.e., it definitely has more of a brown than red vibe in person).
  • This was the 50th guitar I have owned since I started playing at 17 (54 now!).
So… without further ado… let me introduce my new Iced Tea Burst R9… whom I have dubbed “Raquel”.
View attachment 591814 View attachment 591815 View attachment 591817 View attachment 591818 View attachment 591819 View attachment 591820

And here I am with my new R9 inside the Gibson Vault, holding it up to the real 59 Burst (which was also an Iced Tea color). What a great and truly remarkable/memorable experience! :cheers:
View attachment 591843
It was meant to be! Conrats and what a great trip yes!

DonRowe

Reaction score
I was there at The Garage late last year! Fun place! I went to all the places in the area to Carters, Gruen's, and Rumbleseat! I left with tee shirts only :) I have an '08 R8 in that color and figure. Enjoy It! Great looking guitar!

CB91710

Not Michael Sankar
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Beautiful.

So the Guitar Center employee was right... the one with the finish flaw was not the one for you.
Fortunately, you found The One!

1allspub

Reaction score
Thanks everyone for the kind words! The more I play and get to know this guitar the more and more I absolutely love it!

mjross

Reaction score
Very cool story, must have been fun! Congrats, very nice Les Paul. I’ll have to remember to buy a guitar from them the next time I’m in Nashville. Maybe I’ll get the tour, lol!

Latest Threads