NGD - I’ve Landed My “White Whale!”

Neanderpaul

Reaction score
I swore I would never do it.

“They’re too expensive.” “I already own the Epiphone version, and that’s good enough.”

I was lying to myself. I knew I always wanted it. He’s *the* guy that introduced me to the guitar. From the moment I saw it the first time, I knew I wanted to play what he played. It was bright, and cool, and bad ass!

I had my dad get me my first copy in 1979. It wasn’t a real Gibson. But...for an 11-year old, it was close enough. When I started taking my playing more seriously, I bought my first Epiphone Standard. Although not a “real” Gibson, it’s a real Les Paul. So, I was getting closer.

Fast forward a few decades, and (like so many here) I’ve acquired several Les Pauls. Both Gibson & Epiphone....But I didn’t have *his.* I knew they’d made them in ‘97. And again twice more. I saw the prices, and balked. Years passed. I saw them come & go. Told myself I “didn’t really want one.” Which, as we all know, was a lie. We all want that *one.*

Eventually, I snagged the Epiphone version of his first signature. It’s awesome. About as good a guitar as one could ask for. Except...

It wasn’t ‘the one.’

I’ve seen the Budokans. I love them. But, other than knowing what it is, there’s no real indicator that it’s *his* model. Even if it’s actually more accurate than “the original.”

Four days ago, I spotted it on the Bay. I reached out to inquire. I took every picture down, and went over them with great detail to validate it visually. I contacted Gibson to verify the SN. Everything checked out, and I placed my bid...and waited.

Today, it became mine. It was more expensive than I hoped it would be. Anything you really want usually is. So, I’ll no doubt be selling off some other guitars immediately. I figure this *one* will end up costing me three.

Worth it. I finally have the one I’ve wanted since I was 9. In fact, it makes a nice pair with the Epiphone version.
Here you go....
04F82C83-0AE0-45AD-8235-5F88B7AEB9CD.jpeg
34A420BE-387C-449F-88FF-41D09439BBC1.jpeg
1E733CA8-628A-43CF-ABE3-F4D87AA0041B.jpeg
C3EE97C4-5CF5-4C80-8F27-CD15DA2052E0.jpeg
839DF49A-480E-496B-833B-EE631428AAE8.jpeg
7D1156BF-2DD0-42F8-A97C-4A9471EEE2AD.jpeg
9854AB9E-13A2-4A88-98DF-2F1816D82B2C.jpeg

Attachments

Breezin

Reaction score
Very Cool.
Even tho I'm not into Ace at all, I wouldnt mind having one.
Its sort of like a signature version of Framptons custom.

moreles

Reaction score
Way to go. I think it's wonderful to be able to mark the progress of your life -- as a person, as a guitarist -- like this. On the large scale, it ends up being a small amount per year for something really great. And it's a distinctive guitar on top of it all. I'm a huge fan of 3 PU Lesters.

Heppe

Reaction score
Congrats!! Ace is the one that got me into this as well! It’s a beatiful guitar and is it not one of those he uses nowadays on tour?

Remember when these came out in 97 the guitar store was very reluctant to let me a 21 year old kid try it....

lpfan1980

Reaction score
I swore I would never do it.

“They’re too expensive.” “I already own the Epiphone version, and that’s good enough.”

I was lying to myself. I knew I always wanted it. He’s *the* guy that introduced me to the guitar. From the moment I saw it the first time, I knew I wanted to play what he played. It was bright, and cool, and bad ass!

I had my dad get me my first copy in 1979. It wasn’t a real Gibson. But...for an 11-year old, it was close enough. When I started taking my playing more seriously, I bought my first Epiphone Standard. Although not a “real” Gibson, it’s a real Les Paul. So, I was getting closer.

Fast forward a few decades, and (like so many here) I’ve acquired several Les Pauls. Both Gibson & Epiphone....But I didn’t have *his.* I knew they’d made them in ‘97. And again twice more. I saw the prices, and balked. Years passed. I saw them come & go. Told myself I “didn’t really want one.” Which, as we all know, was a lie. We all want that *one.*

Eventually, I snagged the Epiphone version of his first signature. It’s awesome. About as good a guitar as one could ask for. Except...

It wasn’t ‘the one.’

I’ve seen the Budokans. I love them. But, other than knowing what it is, there’s no real indicator that it’s *his* model. Even if it’s actually more accurate than “the original.”

Four days ago, I spotted it on the Bay. I reached out to inquire. I took every picture down, and went over them with great detail to validate it visually. I contacted Gibson to verify the SN. Everything checked out, and I placed my bid...and waited.

Today, it became mine. It was more expensive than I hoped it would be. Anything you really want usually is. So, I’ll no doubt be selling off some other guitars immediately. I figure this *one* will end up costing me three.

Worth it. I finally have the one I’ve wanted since I was 9. In fact, it makes a nice pair with the Epiphone version.
Here you go....View attachment 388590View attachment 388591View attachment 388592View attachment 388593View attachment 388594View attachment 388595View attachment 388596
Nifty Ace LP GOOD ON YA

My Les Paul Classifieds