NGD; HISTORIC ES-175 natural 1959 reissue

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
That-s a great My First ES-175. Good choice. Congrats.

JMB1984

Reaction score
One of the other great 59s! I'm a big fan of the natural finish. Congrats!

trapland

Reaction score
One of the other great 59s! I'm a big fan of the natural finish. Congrats!
I had trouble deciding on natural vs sunburst. The sunburst looked amazing, but there is some nostalgia regarding the natural.

The first Gibson hollow body I ever wanted was a natural 1959 Es-225TDN. I put money down on it and the dealer agreed in writing to give me till the end of the week. Next day he sold the guitar to someone else and said I could have a refund next payables cycle. There was magic in that guitar and I've never seen it for sale in this town again. That dealer was on the local news for ripping people off and fled town.

Later I bought a nice sunburst 59 Es-225 sunburst but at the time I was too young to realize how cool it was and fighting feedback was always a problem so I sold it. Dumb. Now I play cleaner and can manage the hollow body howl better. Now I figure if I'm fighting feedback too much, I'll grab an R9.

Don't these ES-175s kind of look like big fat LesPauls?

trapland

Reaction score
I played her unplugged for a couple hours this morning. Ya!

Here's a couple replacements for the screen shot dealer pics. The specs call for plain maple but this one has a touch of character.

Jabberwocky

Reaction score
Purty! What strings are you using?

Please don't pin the floating bridge.

trapland

Reaction score
Purty! What strings are you using?

Please don't pin the floating bridge.
Since I'm pretty new to jazz and primarily a rock player, I'm using good old slinky electric 10s. It came with 12 round wound and they were fine, but I really didn't like the tone. The top wood is so thin and lively 10s sound about the same acoustically and clearer electrically. If I ever get good enough at Jazz to perform, I'll maybe start using 12 semi rounds.

I wouldn't dream of pinning the bridge. It's really not that hard to string and verify close intonation. It's only gonna get so close anyway without an ABR-1. Someday I MAY put on a Fishman Piezo bridge, but I'll never do anything irreversible.
Thanks all for the kind words.

Callaway

Reaction score
Kind of off topic but I gotta ask what is a "Les Paul Bantam prototype" on your gear list? By the way very nice 175, a buddy of mine had a 175 tobacco burst in the early 70's took a while to discover just the right mix with a tube amp it was kind of a howler using his standard LP or Strat setting as I remember.

Guitarhack

Reaction score
Awesome, I love 175's and the natural finish is my favorite.

Congratulations!

trapland

Reaction score
Les Paul Bantam prototype is sort of my description. You may be familiar with the Les Paul Florentine, not to be confused with an ES Les Paul. Well all of the known Florentines that I have found were dressed up like LP Customs, block inlays, bound head stocks, most had ebony fingerboards. Before they were named Florentine, they were named Bantam. A VERY VERY few bantams were appointed like a LP standard. When I got mine I called Gibson, back when you could do that, lol. I got a guy in the custom shop who told me it was a Bantam, that the appointments and color were prototype batches while they decided what to eventually catalog. He also mentioned quietly that he believed mine had a "special" rosewood fingerboard. I think there are only 2 others like it in the world, but I may have seen the same one twice. Gibson changed the name Bantam to Florentine in 1996 after Gretch sent a C&D over the name as they had a drum set already named Bantam. I have no provenance of any of this of course, and don't care, but I've searched and researched the model ever since I saw the first pink sparkle Bantam with diamond holes in 1995.

Here it is, 20 years old, my number one gigging guitar for 15 years with lots of checking and wear. It's semi-retired now, and seems to be moving on to my son who watched me gig it since he was 12. He sort of likes it.

Left Paw

Reaction score
I like the originality of the rubber switch surround. Good job, Gibson.

JMB1984

Reaction score
I had trouble deciding on natural vs sunburst. The sunburst looked amazing, but there is some nostalgia regarding the natural.

The first Gibson hollow body I ever wanted was a natural 1959 Es-225TDN. I put money down on it and the dealer agreed in writing to give me till the end of the week. Next day he sold the guitar to someone else and said I could have a refund next payables cycle. There was magic in that guitar and I've never seen it for sale in this town again. That dealer was on the local news for ripping people off and fled town.

Later I bought a nice sunburst 59 Es-225 sunburst but at the time I was too young to realize how cool it was and fighting feedback was always a problem so I sold it. Dumb. Now I play cleaner and can manage the hollow body howl better. Now I figure if I'm fighting feedback too much, I'll grab an R9.

Don't these ES-175s kind of look like big fat LesPauls?
Yeah they do seem to have a big les Paul sense about them. Sorry to hear about the poor dealer experience you had. Though it seems you have come full circle by finding your way back to a natural ES. I'm a big fan of the finish on ES models which is why both my 59 ES-345 and 59 ES-330 are natural. The character in the one you ended with is certainly nice!

bossaddict

@david.beason on IG
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
I'm a big fan of natural on the 175 as well. Agree with above about the shock ring being a nice touch. Congrats!

trapland

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of natural on the 175 as well. Agree with above about the shock ring being a nice touch. Congrats!
Thanks. I liked both, but plain maple in natural just gets me.

Funny, I didn't know that switch ring was rubber until I got the guitar. I thought it might be hard plastic or even wood. Personally, I hate it. I use the pickup switch a LOT, and it makes hitting that middle position reliably and quick almost impossible. If I could replace it with something solid, I would in a second.

Any ideas?

jamman

Reaction score
HNGD , Only Vintage natural , will do and yours looks great . Played a real 59 175 a few years back and she sang so sweat .... Passed on it because of the tiny frets .

What type frets are used on Yours ? , Standard Historic RI ???

Latest Threads