NGD Heritage 535 Alvin Lee + an Ebay lesson

Alvinfan

Reaction score
As you can see from my avatar, I am a HUGE Alvin Lee fan !! So when I got the opportunity to get this rare ( only about 20 made ) Heritage 535 Alvin Lee, I pulled the trigger on Ebay. Also I had heard a lot of good things about Heritage guitars, so it looked like a " Win - win situation "
About a week after I had paied for the guitar, and the guitar had been shipped to the shop in Louisville that ships to Denmark for me, I got an email from the seller, Dale Manning, saying that " he had not send the guitar with the " Alvin Lee " truss rod cover that is original to these guitars ( eventhough he had a picture of it on his Ebaty add ). He said he was out of town and would send the truss rod cover when he got back on feb 4 th. Well, feb 4 th passed and I heard nothing and has still not heard nothing. So I was a little sceptical when I got the guitar a couple of days ago.
The guitar sounded like shit right out of the case. The wiring of the vol pots were bizarre to say the least ( Alvin has a special middle single coil pu that he blends in ) and the nut fell of when I changed the strings.
I have gotten in contact with a guy in Germany who also has an Alvin 535 and from his pictures I could see that my single coil pu was different from his and that the inside lable was signed in a different handwriting
So far so bad. Now I have changed ther strings ( that looked like they were from 1993 ) and adjusted the guitar and now it sounds and plays really great, so for 2 K I guess I have not been totally scammed if the guitar should turn out not to be an Alvin Lee Signature. I think a regular 1993 535 sells for about 1500 $.
Still, I would really appriciate any input about the autenticity of this guitar. I have been told that Heritage is not all that informative when you contact them.
Here it is together with 1965 Alvin Lee signed ES 335 and Aged and signed Alvin Lee Big Red # 38 ( of 50 )
ROCK ON :thumb::thumb:

DSC04843.jpg

DSC04855.jpg

NICE FLAME !

DSC04806.jpg

DSC04808.jpg

IMGP2465-1.jpg

INSIDE LABEL FROM THE GERMAN GUY´S 535

DSC04858.jpg

MY INSIDE LABEL

h.-m. smith

Reaction score
Hey Mikkel,

sorry to hear that it came messed up!

And your experience with the seller does sound a bit odd.

Well, I'm definitely not an expert when it comes Heritage Guitars but I don't think that your 535 is a Standard Model Alvin Fake. Remember that my Alvin Lee seems to be some kind of preproduction model for the Frankfurt Music Fair and that the serial dates it to 1992 while yours has a 1993 serial. Official production started in 1993. So its possible that they just used a different singlecoil and that some other guy has written the label.

I remember now that my luthier told me the Schaller PUs are crap - at least for a guitar like this - and that I should swith them. Maybe the preowner of your 535 did that too but rewired it again (and failed by doing that) to sell it in its original condition.
Another point that came to my mind when reading your post, why should someone make this kind of pickguard, drill an extra hole in the body and fit an extra pot just to gain some money? Ok, people are strange and I'm just speculating.

And maybe try an email to Heritage. Perhaps they know how to use their computers now... :hmm:

Anyway, nice guitar. Hope everything will turn out fine!
If you need some more pics, let me know.

Cheers,
German guy!

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
i have been trying to find pics of other Heritage alvin lees....so far from what i can see it looks to be legit....the only think i'm worried about is that there is no LE # above the serial #?

ill keep checking....

Alvinfan

Reaction score
Here is the serial nr of H M Smith ´s Alvin Lee 535 for comparison ( hope it is OK to post it A. :thumb: ) He was told it was an early prototype from 1992 and he changed the pickups. It has the same flame as mine.

PS : An update on the missing trussrod cover : 2 hours after I posted my first post, the seller ( finally ) mailed me ( maybe he read my post :D ) saying that hed had found the cover and would send it to me. So now I hope to see it soon.....

IMGP2464.jpg

DSC04808-1.jpg

THIS IS MINE

IMGP2515.jpg

DSC04855.jpg

THIS IS MINE

h.-m. smith

Reaction score
hope it is OK to post it A. :thumb:

Sure, no prob.

Note, your pickguard looks different. A little shorter on the lower horn. Or is it due to perspective?
And the knob for the singlecoil is wrong.
But I still think that yours is legit.

Here are few more pics of mine, hope it helps.

IMGP2482.jpg

IMGP2468.jpg

IMGP2475.jpg

Cheers,
Andy

brentrocks

Guitar Hack
Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
i think you are ok man....i dont think they did a LE # on the Alvins

Alvinfan

Reaction score
Thanks a lot for the input Brent & co. !!! :thumb: If you find some info on other " Alvin Lee " 535 ´s please let me know !

In the meantime I will be gassing for this Pink lady from "Wolfe Guitars" ( What a great selection of Heritages they have !!! ) ! I think it would look good with Alvin stickers all over it : Posh meets Rock :wow:

p2_uqhim2xzg_ss.jpg

GregP

Reaction score
Holy cow I just picked up this guitar in a trade! It's been around the block a few times but plays very well. Was the middle single coil "dummied" when you had it? Are the pop-up tone knobs original? Just wondering what year you sold it?

I got it in an overall trade of some guitars so value-wise didn't pay very much for it...hoping it' a steal though :) In any case, I am enjoying it.

Attachments

• 06660DA8-RESIZE.jpeg
    06660DA8-RESIZE.jpeg
    73.1 KB · Views: 6
  • B7866B5E-5FFD-40A9-RESIZE.jpeg
    B7866B5E-5FFD-40A9-RESIZE.jpeg
    137.5 KB · Views: 8
Reactions: Who

Latest Threads