NGD! Here's why your NGD "steal" .... wasn't.

Thundergod

Reaction score
I think you would have to be a combination of Helen Keller and Mr. Bean to believe a Chibson was a Gibson if you had it in your hands for more than 15 seconds.
This started a long time ago, I would have thought by now "everyone" has knowledge or access to knowledge about this and can avoid being scammed... To be honest I didn't even think it was still a thing as it was 10 years ago.

Armitage

Reaction score
Counterfeits are made to look good, to sell to suckers, not BE good.

PeteNJ75

Reaction score
The fact that 36 seized guitars has made such big news all over the country tells me that this doesn’t happen very often. Not saying shipments don’t get through, obviously they do, but it does not make it “highly likely” that anyone here is going to get duped by a fake anytime soon. In the grand context of a billion dollar industry, $136K is a drop in the bucket. I’d venture to say that most people on this forum or paying attention to the Gibson FB groups can spot a Chibson these days, and buying through reputable dealers and people on Reverb with solid feedback you’ve asked the right questions of is fairly safe. If this was happening more often, people here would be talking about it, and they’re really not. Even if they got the aesthetics down perfectly (which they never seem to do), the minute you play them it’s obvious they’re fake.

Ermghoti

Reaction score
I'd assume that the reason there are more fake Gibsons than Fenders is that if you want to buy an imported copy of a Fender, you can buy a Fender. Gibson has reserved its brand for US models only, it therefore retains its cache as a premium brand, and the ability to charge a premium.

HardCore Troubadour

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That is funny, you must have not put your hands on anything that has come out of Nashville lately?

How do you tell the garbage coming out of China, from the garbage coming out of Nashville lately??
total-of-36-counterfeit-gibson-fender-martin-and-prs-models-jpg.457552

https://www.guitarplayer.com/news/u...zes-dollar158000-worth-of-counterfeit-guitars

I am pretty sure there are people that read this forum all the time that are NOT very aware about being cautious of Chinese made fake Gibson's, or we would not see the threads asking for help, both before and after the fact.

I am pretty sure that anyone reading this forum is very aware about being cautious of buying a Chinese-made Gibsons.

zdoggie

Reaction score
this whole scene with china is way out of hand I have ahamer standard made in korea not the best at all I don't know if the epiphones are american or what ,we all need to careful of what we buy there's always someone who will try to pull the wool over your eye's what a sorry lot of people.

zdog

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
The buyer is responsible for their purchase. Just don't pay with paypal gift and you're protected.

Stealthracer

Reaction score
Despite the length of time these fakers have been operating, they have yet to produce a fake which will fool someone with a little knowledge who glances at it for more than a sew seconds.

From my experience of Ch*bs*ns, I would say that the fit and finish of the wood parts is usually quite good, but the hardware they use is good only for landfill. As I've said recently on another thread here, it is possible to turn one into a (reasonably) good guitar, by stripping it down to the carcass and fitting better parts, but by the time you've done that, it would have been more cost-effective to just buy a decent guitar in the first place.

You want a cheap Gibson? Buy an Epiphone.

TheX

Freedom is NOT a safe space
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
Despite the length of time these fakers have been operating, they have yet to produce a fake which will fool someone with a little knowledge who glances at it for more than a sew seconds.

From my experience of Ch*bs*ns, I would say that the fit and finish of the wood parts is usually quite good, but the hardware they use is good only for landfill. As I've said recently on another thread here, it is possible to turn one into a (reasonably) good guitar, by stripping it down to the carcass and fitting better parts, but by the time you've done that, it would have been more cost-effective to just buy a decent guitar in the first place.

You want a cheap Gibson? Buy an Epiphone.

You can say Chibson. This is all VERY old news. Are you just finding out about this?

Texsunburst59

Reaction score
You're right OP about guitar "Steals" being fake.

It's seems that the Chinese have decided to FAKE every year and model that Gibson,Fender or PRS, Martin & Taylor has ever made.

I had no idea about this and I guess I got duped.

Here are all the guitars I got duped on over the last few years

$993 - '89 Gibson LP Standard
$400 - '01 Gibson LP Jr.
$286 - '05 Gibson LP Studio
$762 - '08 Gibson LP Standard Plus
$400 - '07 Fender '57RI AVRI Strat
$100 - '09 Fender Highway 1 Tele
$325 - '90 Fender Strat Plus
$204 - '94 Fender Jazz Plus V
$400 - '78 Fender P-Bass
$923 - '95 PRS Custom 24 10-Top
$923 - '81 Martin 7-28