NGD- Happy but frustrated

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
My friend gave me his strat copy today! Since he's a drummer he, thought I would make better use of it. Anyway, While I was trying to remove the strings through the tremolo block, only the low E and A strings were able to come out, the other strings seem stuck. I tried using a low E to push the other strings out of the tremolo block but they won't budge. I also tried removing the entire bridge but the screws are very tight and hardly move so that didn't work. What can I do to get the others strings out of the bridge? BTW, it's a Fender-esque type tremolo bridge system.

Rocco Crocco

Reaction score
Put a drop of 3-in-1 oil on the saddles and try again in an hour.... could be they rusted a little (or a lot) and are just sticking. If that doesn't work I would very gently pull on the string with a pair of pliers right near the saddle. If you are applying a good deal of force and it still is stuck, I'd bring it to the repair shop.

Clyngedal

Reaction score
You could also try pushing it out with something harder than a string - like a nail or something?

The strings are stuck in the tremolo block I take it, not the actual saddles like you wrote? :thumb:

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
You could also try pushing it out with something harder than a string - like a nail or something?

The strings are stuck in the tremolo block I take it, not the actual saddles like you wrote? :thumb:
Yes, your're right about it being stuck in the tremolo block and not in the saddle. Thanks, I just changed my original post.

So What

Reaction score
Yeah....

That is something that has happened to me.

I have used a very small screw drive tip to push the string out from the top.

You can pobably use a tooth pick or a dart tip to do it.

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
I've tried using nails and toothpicks but nothing has worked. I'm gonna go to the store tomorrow and pick up some WD-40 and try to remove the bridge.

G Man

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my time taking the bridge out, as I don't see how that will help you get the strings out of the trem block. As mentioned, try dropping a little household oil, even veggie oil would work in a pinch, into the holes in the trem block from above. I would then get a wire coat hanger and straighten out the curved part and then use that to ream through the stuck string ends.

Shadowplayer

Reaction score
The high E and sometimes the A do that on my strat too. just wiggle it around a little and push through. it works. if you have to, thick wire works well to push strings through

ehb

Chief Discombobulator
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
As AngryHatter stated, buy a pack of cheap dental probes. We keep a set in on the shop bench for that purpose among others. Makes it pretty easy to snag stuck string ends in strats and such...

amostlystockdc2

Reaction score
i used a really small allen wrench or a small screwdriver to push them out of a friends strat

AngryHatter

Reaction score
Also a straight probe will allow you to push the ball end from the other side.

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
I wouldn't waste my time taking the bridge out, as I don't see how that will help you get the strings out of the trem block. As mentioned, try dropping a little household oil, even veggie oil would work in a pinch, into the holes in the trem block from above. I would then get a wire coat hanger and straighten out the curved part and then use that to ream through the stuck string ends.
THANK YOU SO MUCH! I used some veggie oil and the wire coat hanger and it worked like a charm!

AxeBuilder

Reaction score
Before you put any new strings in, test fit the ends in the tremolo block from the back. If they stick, you will have the same problem again and you may want to enlarge the holes first.

22Frets

Reaction score
i used a really small allen wrench or a small screwdriver to push them out of a friends strat
+1 on this. I use a small allen wrench, typical of what you adjust the saddles with. 3 in 1 oil will work, but since I use Dr. Ducks on the rosewood fretboard, the saddles and bridge get treated with it too. I run a pipe cleaner with some Dr. Ducks down through the holes in the saddle, and things sit fine until I go to change strings again.

Unless you use Fender's Bullet Strings, which are designed for their trem block, the round ball ends on every else's brand of strings are destined to get jammed in there no matter how much you lubricate the holes. Keep the allen wrench (I like the idea of dental instruments and am going to order some) or other handy. It's gonna happen!

ledzepp2122

Reaction score
Before you put any new strings in, test fit the ends in the tremolo block from the back. If they stick, you will have the same problem again and you may want to enlarge the holes first.
The pics are with the new strings on and I did the test fit the ends and they are not sticking.

Latest Threads