NGD - Gretsch G5230T Electromatic Jet FT in Firebird Red

rjwilson37

Reaction score
After playing quite a few different guitars, I ended up picking up a Gretsch G5230T Electromatic Jet FT in Firebird Red from Sweetwater for just under $500. It has a weight of 8lb 10oz, as well as being my first Gretsch purchase that I am really stoked about getting this guitar to Jam with.

ben.jammin

Reaction score
My uncle has one of those in a different color. It's a great guitar. That firebird red finish is awesome!

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
After playing quite a few different guitars, I ended up picking up a Gretsch G5230T Electromatic Jet FT in Firebird Red from Sweetwater for just under $500. It has a weight of 8lb 10oz, as well as being my first Gretsch purchase that I am really stoked about getting this guitar to Jam with.

CONGRATS CONGRATS CONGRATS!!!

I have two Electromatic Jet series in this price range and you will not be disappointed in the tone. I had gotten one and loved it so much we got another. Even better if one wants to save $100 they get one without the Bigsby which has a tune-o-matic and stop bar but what fun would that be!

We got a Gold Top and Silver Sparkle … the similar, same price as this one you posted. We were shocked by the build quality and the finish quality. Great tone, GREAT tone.

You'll like the clever strap lock innovation too … way ahead of their time back when.

otlz9unyp4ynd9mtyrmp.jpg
mbg8whk46f9yjbayegyt.jpg

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was going to go originally with the Red\White one with gold hardware, but after looking at it over and over again, I thought it was a little bit to much bling for my taste. I like how this one looks with the nice Deep Red and Nickel\Silver Bigsby, just a really pleasant\elegant looking guitar and not over the top.

Last edited:

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
Thanks everyone. I was going to go originally with the Red\White one with gold hardware, but after looking at it over and over again, I thought it was a little bit to much bling for my taste. I like how this one looks for sure with the nice Deep Red and Nickel\Silver Bigsby, just a really pleasant\elegant looking guitar and not over the top.
You made a fine choice. It’s a nice looking guitar.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
Congrats :thumb: . that looks SO COOL in red :dunno:

I'm still thinking about the 5445T , for about the same price

gretsch-g5445t-double-jet-w-bigsby-black-126420.jpg

I played one last year at GC , and wasn't fully impressed with it . going to give it another shot this coming Spring

rjwilson37

Reaction score
That one is nice, even though I am not really into the double cut away guitars. But... A lot of guitars at GC that are in the lower price range are usually not setup very well. I purchased my Gretsch from Sweetwater, they at least do a basic setup before they are shipped out, so you get a playable guitar when it arrives. Guitar Center will just send it to you right how it came from the manufacturer and not even really do a basic one over before it ships out.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
These were posted earlier by me but your purchase inspired me to take out both and play them. I took new pictures .... cool pickups and body lines. Nice sight lines.

The only thing that may annoy you is that the pick guard covers the high E side of the pickup height adjust so you need to remove the guard to adjust the pickup height just on that side.

I find it easier to raise the pole pieces.

0A12FBFF-B9DF-4224-A5BE-AF94673F4B52.jpeg
DF4F2707-2861-4F03-A974-CA095A4B2822.jpeg
B4CCF431-5395-41B4-8880-7BDDE9D243C0.jpeg
70A4401E-E2C5-4621-A5B3-3A1A02244102.jpeg
C761AFB7-36BF-4288-B906-D94A2D75C235.jpeg

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
If you find the Bigsby too stiff Reverend sells a soft spring for it that many on the Gretsch forum really like. I just got one for mine but haven't installed it yet. I want to change the strings too and set it up.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I just got a new Gretsch from SW as well, a G5622T Electromatic in Vintage Orange :) A week later they blew out the candy apple red ones for just $499 and I almost flipped out. I actually tried to get one and was going to send the orange one back then, but they sold out of them in like 60 seconds flat from the time that email went out :)

Oh, well, I really love my new Gretsch and always wanted an orange one.

IMG_20181230_130441470.jpg

Sorry for the hurry up photo but sunny days have been hard to come by lately.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I just got a new Gretsch from SW as well, a G5622T Electromatic in Vintage Orange :) A week later they blew out the candy apple red ones for just $499 and I almost flipped out. I actually tried to get one and was going to send the orange one back then, but they sold out of them in like 60 seconds flat from the time that email went out :)

Oh, well, I really love my new Gretsch and always wanted an orange one.

View attachment 351978

Sorry for the hurry up photo but sunny days have been hard to come by lately.

That's a honey of a guitar, what a nice looker.

artis_xe

Christopher
Reaction score
If you find the Bigsby too stiff Reverend sells a soft spring for it that many on the Gretsch forum really like. I just got one for mine but haven't installed it yet. I want to change the strings too and set it up.
that soft spring really makes a difference . I put one on my Swingster

and @rjwilson37 . GC setups ( or lack of ) really do suck , depending on the guitar . most manufactures send their models out with a nut cut for medium action __ and the strings are worn . but , I still like to have something in my hands to check things out

have you checked the quality of the electronics yet / are you planning to change anything out ?

rjwilson37

Reaction score
My Gretsch is supposed to arrive Friday and I don't plan on changing anything on it, except maybe the spring to the soft spring possibly depending on how I feel about it the way it is.

Roxy13

Reaction score
I'm happy with the rest of mine as well. The hardware is fine, the master volume has a treble bleed on it so no issues there with the pots/wiring. I love the pickups and they were a main reason for me to get a Gretsch instead of a 335 type of guitar.

My D string is not sliding as nicely through the nut as it could, but that should be a very easy fix. It may not even need a touchup with a file; abrasive cord might take care of that. I mean it is barely noticeable that it needs attention. No catches or pings.

Les Paul John

Banned
Reaction score
I'm happy with the rest of mine as well. The hardware is fine, the master volume has a treble bleed on it so no issues there with the pots/wiring. I love the pickups and they were a main reason for me to get a Gretsch instead of a 335 type of guitar.

My D string is not sliding as nicely through the nut as it could, but that should be a very easy fix. It may not even need a touchup with a file; abrasive cord might take care of that. I mean it is barely noticeable that it needs attention. No catches or pings.

You can use a piece of guitar string to clean up the slot as well, acts as a soft abrasive cord .... technically. Cleans up the slot a bit.

Roxy13

Reaction score
You can use a piece of guitar string to clean up the slot as well, acts as a soft abrasive cord .... technically. Cleans up the slot a bit.
Sure, it works in a pinch although I have the cord in various diameters. I think it gives a bit cleaner slot although I still go after it with some fine sandpaper after anyway.

Latest Threads