NGD Gretsch Americana Series

dmvksv

Reaction score
I saw these online awhile back and thought they were kind of cool. This morning I was looking at the local Craigslist guitar listings and didn't see anything good so being kind of bored I started looking at garage sale listings. There was one ad that had a guitar listed, no description or price, as well as video games. My son is a huge gamer so we decided to check it out. The guitar was a Gretsch Sundown Serenade model Americana Series acoustic. These were a limited edition series of four different models released in I believe 2008. The guitar was in the original box. It looked to be unplayed, still had the inspected sticker on the bridge. It was in flawless condition, not a blemish on it. It was marked $50, the lady said she would take $40. I'm a sucker for all things Gretsch, so at that price I couldn't pass it up. I mostly bought it as a collectors piece but I'm really pleased with the sound and the build quality. it needs new strings but so does every new guitar. the action is nice and low, no fret buzz, very impressive for a cheap acoustic. I think they went for $150 originally, I've seen them used online for around $100.When my wife saw it she was a little iffy at first, but after a couple hours she decided she wanted it displayed in a spare bedroom where she has an antique collection. She is never happy with any of my guitars I have out in plain sight so I was very suprised. A very cool little guitar, fun to play and a great retro look. I would love to find one of the red Wild West Sweetheart's models to complement it.

Attachments

• sundown_xl.jpg
    sundown_xl.jpg
    62.5 KB · Views: 56

studio1087

Reaction score
Save that box! It's more collectible with the cool box. I have the same model and the gray gunfight model. They're like old Stellas. Decent plywood wonders. If you google "cowboy guitars" it's amazing how many silk screen graphics cowboy guitars were made in the 50's.

Me being stupid......

[ame]http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxNtsHo9KMU[/ame]

RaSTuS26

Reaction score
Great find, great price, enjoy and HNGD.

dmvksv

Reaction score
Save that box! It's more collectible with the cool box. I have the same model and the gray gunfight model. They're like old Stellas. Decent plywood wonders. If you google "cowboy guitars" it's amazing how many silk screen graphics cowboy guitars were made in the 50's.

Me being stupid......

http://m.youtube.com/watch?v=OxNtsHo9KMU

I actually saw that video after I bought it and Googled it to try to find more info, nice review. And you bet I'm going to save the box, it just adds to the cool factor.:)

djphelan01

Reaction score
Congrats on NGD. I have the same model still in the box. I bought three new from overstock.com back when they came out. I kept 1 and gave my niece and nephew each one. I wish I bought each model and kept them, but I got them at a super price and they only had the one version.

S. Rock

Reaction score
congrats ! when they came out, they were the rage of the GDP(www.gretschpages.com). I have a friend that has all 4 of them. I never got one at the time.

Latest Threads