NGD: Greco EG800 Super Real Questions

wulfman

Let the good times roll....
V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Hi all, before I go cold turkey on buying guitars I just got a dirty old EG800 Super real (good guess Udo!) delivered today and have a couple of questions for those in the know. The guitar is well-played and doesn't have any laminate problems so I think I got a good deal all things considered.

For the Greco experts, a couple of questions:

1. It came with a brand new looking gotoh gold tailpiece and bridge. What should the original bridge be? If it is a gotoh part, would it be the same one used on other higher end Tokai/Burny guitars?

2. It has a PU-2 in the neck position and a "GOTOH" in the bridge. I think the PU-2 is the original, but has anyone else seen that type of Gotoh p/up? It has hex-adjustable polepieces rather than by flathead screwdriver. Looks like something dark and powerful, probably not for me. If anyone has an extra PU-2 available, please let me know.

3. The frets on this guitar look massive to me, but fret binding is still there. Do these Super Reals have huge frets or could this be a re-fret?

If anyone has a spare Greco tuning peg for the G-string let me know, that is the first thing that needs to be replaced after I clean this up.

Cheers,

Wulfman

Attachments

• DSC_0233.jpg
    DSC_0233.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 103
  • DSC_0227.jpg
    DSC_0227.jpg
    38.1 KB · Views: 124
  • DSC_0236.jpg
    DSC_0236.jpg
    83.2 KB · Views: 92
  • DSC_0234.jpg
    DSC_0234.jpg
    42.6 KB · Views: 113
  • DSC_0224.jpg
    DSC_0224.jpg
    27.4 KB · Views: 108

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Ha nice man. I just bought some PU2's for a good deal. I have to install them as I have heard so much good about them. Very PAF like...

The frets on the 1200's were thinner but the lower models tend to be thicker from what I understand.

Go here and you can find some nice tuners :D

Yahoo!

Aw damn...wrong side!!

http://page8.auctions.yahoo.co.jp/jp/auction/h144030601

wulfman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Thanks Udo! Bid made on the tuner. That tuner should be the deal of the year unless I get into a bidding war with someone.

That sounds good about PU-2. I wonder if the PU-2 just got relabeled as Double Trick for the Mint Collection series. After all, why develop a new pickup when you can just rename it and add some cool stickers?:cool:

villager

Reaction score
hi wulfman, EG-800 should be a goldtop I think, and was solid, egf-850 was a veneeer flametop, the pickup maker changed from the pu2 to the screamin equivelent, the pre 82 were maxxon made and after 82 fujigen either made them in house, or had another maker provide them, not sure, but the pre and post 82 pickups are different in many smalll ways pointing to different manufacturers

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
AFA the guitar pictured in the OP's post, looks like an EGF-850 to my eyes

* veneer top
* pup routes = shielding paint
* cutaway horn = very sharp like an EGF
* PU-2 = neck pickup (PU-2 normal for EGF-850)
* MOP inlays = EGF

would be surprised if that's not an EGF-850 ...............

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
hi wulfman, EG-800 should be a goldtop I think, and was solid, egf-850 was a veneeer flametop, the pickup maker changed from the pu2 to the screamin equivelent, the pre 82 were maxxon made and after 82 fujigen either made them in house, or had another maker provide them, not sure, but the pre and post 82 pickups are different in many smalll ways pointing to different manufacturers

I'm not sure what you're saying; are my 1980 PU-2s basically the same as my later Scream'in?

I haven't heard my PU-2s in a long time but from what I recall they seemed to have more something:laugh2: than any of my Scream'in sets have ever had

wulfman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score

Thanks Villager, you are right (and you too VintageJIM), it is an EG850. It has been a busy week here and I just mixed them up. I also have a Mint Collection EG850 with Double Tricks, I guess Screamin' would have been in the EG-450 to EG-550 models of Mint Collection from what I have for specs?

She was only 29500 shipping included so even with the wear and changed parts I think I can find a PU-2 pickup and slap a bridge/tailpiece on there to bring it back close to original.
There is at least one tone pot not original (maybe I should check for push-pull) but it still has the black PIO caps.

By the way, I found a cool excel sheet in Japanese last week from a Greco fan site that lists the specs for Mint Collection. I will try to translate it and post it somewhere (can I post a PDF as attachment?) for anyone interested.

Thanks to everyone for sharing your knowledge of these guitars. I think I need to take a break from guitar buying but it is hard to turn down these 80-82 models though as they are classy instruments, even with a few dings and scratches. I just fear becoming like some people with a dedicated closet reserved just for old crappy Japanese vintage soft cases!

3pupLPC

Reaction score
My EGF-1000 (the only Greco I have ever owned, so I am no SME), has smaller, vintage style frets, for what it is worth. Nice grab Wulf!

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
SME?

I did a Google search on that :laugh2: ........................

3pupLPC

Reaction score
sorry... work term... Subject Matter Expert. One of those silly work acronyms that creep in:eek:

Hey- on my way to Little Rock

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
AFA the guitar pictured in the OP's post, looks like an EGF-850 to my eyes

* veneer top
* pup routes = shielding paint
* cutaway horn = very sharp like an EGF
* PU-2 = neck pickup (PU-2 normal for EGF-850)
* MOP inlays = EGF

would be surprised if that's not an EGF-850 ...............

I think that is what Wulfman meant...a simple typo as we were chatting about it privately and he was saying 850 :thumb:

mono

Reaction score
Oh man there are thousands of TLAs in the medical industry... very hard to keep track of them.

(Three Letter Acronyms :D)

villager

Reaction score
I'm not sure what you're saying; are my 1980 PU-2s basically the same as my later Scream'in?

I haven't heard my PU-2s in a long time but from what I recall they seemed to have more something:laugh2: than any of my Scream'in sets have ever had

no, same price band, but totally different PU's, what I am saying is that the PU2 were in the same levels of guitar as screamin and double trick screamin were in the 65 - 70 mint collection and pu 2 in the mid level super reals

double trick in the mint for 85 bit equiv greco egf-850 had PU2

vintageJIM

Banned
Reaction score
OK Mark, I think I see what you trying to say; you had me goin' there for a bit :laugh2:

wulfman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Well, looks like I might need two PU-2s as the front pickup appears to be dead. I didn't actually plug it in yesterday since it was so dirty and needed new strings. Today it is dead. Any chance it could have shorted out or a wire broke when I pulled the P/U from the front route?
For the price, not much to feel bad about but I wrote a nice email to the shop to let them know and offered to send the P/U back for them to have a look. Who knows, they may give me something as a replacement or pass some money back.

The shop also has a cool looking EG 1000 from 79 that is the top end Custom model for just a little more than this guitar, and I think it comes with 2 PU-2s as well... hmmm....:hmm:

planks

Reaction score
Looks good, congrats and enjoy!

Udonitron

Psychedelic Stoner Rock
Reaction score
Well, looks like I might need two PU-2s as the front pickup appears to be dead. I didn't actually plug it in yesterday since it was so dirty and needed new strings. Today it is dead. Any chance it could have shorted out or a wire broke when I pulled the P/U from the front route?
For the price, not much to feel bad about but I wrote a nice email to the shop to let them know and offered to send the P/U back for them to have a look. Who knows, they may give me something as a replacement or pass some money back.

The shop also has a cool looking EG 1000 from 79 that is the top end Custom model for just a little more than this guitar, and I think it comes with 2 PU-2s as well... hmmm....:hmm:

I love those EG1200 & 1000's...pancake bodies and 3 piece maple necks but they are just damn cool looking guitars...it is the dirty burst looking one?

wulfman

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
I love those EG1200 & 1000's...pancake bodies and 3 piece maple necks but they are just damn cool looking guitars...it is the dirty burst looking one?

This is her, a 1979...supposedly lots of fret wear. There is a picture of the grovers so I am sure it is a 1000. I got a reply from the store, they want me to send the guitar back! I have to let them know it's just the pickup. Maybe a small discount on the EG1000?

Cheers,

Wulfman

Attachments

• eg1000.jpg
    eg1000.jpg
    33.1 KB · Views: 36

Latest Threads