NGD, Gibson Standard T vs Traditional T (2017)

Which one do you like better?

• Total voters

FingerLakesFan

Reaction score
Love the necks on both my '16 and '17 Trads. Def not baseball bats. Cheers.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
My mistake, the Standard was 7.5lb and the Traditional I got is 9.55lb :cheers2:

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Gold Supporting Member
Reaction score
What does the T stand for?

It stands for "traditional", as in traditional specs. (not the model).

HP stands for "High Performance" which has new features such as fast access heal, more pickup options via push/pull etc.

GT40

Reaction score
It stands for "traditional", as in traditional specs. (not the model).

HP stands for "High Performance" which has new features such as fast access heal, more pickup options via push/pull etc.

So a Traditional T is a traditional Traditional vs. an untraditional Taditional?
Got to love Gibson naming convetions.

519tbarr

Reaction score
Answer for me is easy and clear:

1. Weight relief
2. Thinner neck (not a tree log)

Above: For people who have traditionally thought - the Traditional - too big of a neck - then you haven't played the 2017 Les Paul Traditional. They have more of a thinner rounded 50's neck profile. The closest neck I have played to the neck on the current 2017 Les Paul Traditional was on the 2015 Les Paul Traditional LTD Japan version. It's quite nice. I own and have played several of the baseball bat 50's neck's on Traditional s pre-2015. I also own the 2017 Les Paul Traditional with the thinner neck profile and I do enjoy this guitar.

I am not a super fan of the compound radius finger board on the Les Paul Standards post 2012 - but this 2017 Les Paul Traditional with rounded 50's profile might surprise you. You can find some of the Traditional's with a lighter body weight - but true if you want a guitar that's light and weight relieved - a Standard might be your fix.

Todd68

Reaction score
I just bought a 2017 Trad so you know how I voted. My NGD is here somewhere. The specs on the Traditional are as close as you'll get to CS stuff in the USA line. The one big difference in a Trad being a two piece modern back (like any other USA model compared to the CS reissues). My Traditional is about 9.5 pounds which is fine with me. I've had heavier CS stuff. I like my LPs to have that vintage vibe so that explains why the Standard didn't get me. However, the new Standards are great. To me it's more about what one wants rather than a particular model being better. Nice NGD by the way!

Todd68

Reaction score
The neck on my Trad is smaller than any R9 I've had. It's a great profile. Not to big or small. Not shallow like a R0. If you want a tiny neck, the CS Jimmy Page is the smallest I've ever come across. Mind you, they do not appear to be so available these days.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
Exactly, I actually stayed away from a Traditional at first because I thought it had a baseball bat profile, turned out to be more comfortable than anything else I tried recently.

GuitarTalk

@GuitarTalk on Instagram
Reaction score
In the end of the day it, a Les Paul's tone boils down to this simple formula:

SQRT[(Weight =9.5LB)+[pokerchip=0]+[# of flames on top = 76]-[coil taps =0]+[unmounted pickguard]EXP(100% flawless finish - 0 screw holes)/[nitro finish thickness]+Gibson Logo Mojo Factor]/(58 years since 1959) * 100 = Optimal Mojotastic Tone = 110% 2017 Traditional :hmm:

1allspub

Reaction score
In the end of the day it, a Les Paul's tone boils down to this simple formula:

SQRT[(Weight =9.5LB)+[pokerchip=0]+[# of flames on top = 76]-[coil taps =0]+[unmounted pickguard]EXP(100% flawless finish - 0 screw holes)/[nitro finish thickness]+Gibson Logo Mojo Factor]/(58 years since 1959) * 100 = Optimal Mojotastic Tone = 110% 2017 Traditional :hmm:
I think you forgot to carry the 3. ;)

Latest Threads