NGD Gibson LPC - Need Advice

Sinster

Reaction score
I would keep it, because I know guitar electronics and know how to change out my own pickups.

To be honest that deal about removing the EMG's and then send him the EMG's. The seller will refund you 450-500... Not sure what local Luthiers would charge for a pickup change, but it sounds like he wouldn't be taking that big of a lose. He will just turn around and sell the EMG's. Lets say 200 for new pickups, 100 for pots, jack, and then the fee for installation. The 450-500 might cover it, but he want the EMG back..

Last edited:

BDW60

Reaction score
If I really liked the bones and condition of the guitar, I would take the guy’s $500 refund, send those EMGs back, buy a real nice set of passive pickups and a new harness and have them pro installed. You might be a little bit over the $500 in the end, but you’ll have a much better guitar. Don’t settle for 450.

integra evan

Reaction score
If this were an amp, it'd be going back IMMEDIATELY and I wouldn't even be asking for opinions. Amps are much more finicky and have more electrical components and so much more that could go wrong. I've had dozens of guitars and have never had any issue with electronics before.

The build quality on the LPC seems fine and it's in excellent condition. The seller seems willing to do a partial refund of around $450 - $500, but that's if I swap out the electronics to Gibson pick-ups and send him the EMG's. MLP, what do you think?
Thats a good refund. Make sure he sends you the refund prior to you sending the pickups back. If he doesn't agree, hash it out with Reverb.
With that 500, get a used set of custombuckers and your choice of harness-will make for a killer sounding guitar. Soldering them in is super easy.

musicmaniac

Reaction score
Thats a good refund. Make sure he sends you the refund prior to you sending the pickups back. If he doesn't agree, hash it out with Reverb.
With that 500, get a used set of custombuckers and your choice of harness-will make for a killer sounding guitar. Soldering them in is super easy.
+ 1 Take the $500 and get it setup how you want. Good luck!

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
Update:

So I found a loose wire in the cavity and reattached it. The guitar worked for about 20 minutes and then stopped working again. Checked the connections and everything was fine. I think there's a major issue with the EMG system and it's not just a simple disconnection somewhere. I checked the EMG diagram and everything is hooked up properly. Leaning towards returning this one at this point the more I think about it. I'm not familiar enough with guitar electronics and having everything swapped could be timely and costly if I need someone to install them.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
IF you guys were shopping for new electronics, and you wanted hot Gibson pick-ups and pots with a lot of output, how would you do it?

moreles

Reaction score
Unless he forwards a partial refund directly to you immediately, I would involve Reverb. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure.
This remains the best advice here. Keep it knowing the discount will fund repairs (if it's sufficient $$$) or return it. Accepting liability yourself to fix a guitar at this price point is a sucker move. Sure, it can probably work out -- there's nothing super tricky about active circuits -- unless something is broken or shorting, etc., in which case it's a nightmare. These boards are full of sad tales of people who kept flawed purchases. It's not a problem... until it is.

integra evan

Reaction score
IF you guys were shopping for new electronics, and you wanted hot Gibson pick-ups and pots with a lot of output, how would you do it?
If that were me, I would get this:

490s are on the hotter side and ceramic so they'll give you that sound. Plus, solderless. Make it easy for you.

bad565ss

Reaction score
I'd get that $400 bucks and call Craig Vineham for a set of pickups. My guess is after paying for the install you'll end up with enough change to buy dinner.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
So a decision has been made. The seller is going to give me a partial refund of $400 and we're going to call it a day. The guitar itself is a beauty, and seems like a great player. Given the fact that I got this for less than $3k and the market for one of these isn't too great at the moment, I think I'll keep it and try to do something with the existing electronics or just swap everything out.

2016 Custom 5.jpg
2016 Custom 6.jpg
2016 Custom 5.jpg
2016 Custom 4.jpg
2016 Custom 3.jpg
2016 Custom 2.jpg
2016 Custom 1.jpg
2016 Custom 6.jpg
2016 Custom 5.jpg
2016 Custom 4.jpg
2016 Custom 3.jpg
2016 Custom 2.jpg
2016 Custom 1.jpg

Last edited:

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
I had the EMG's working yesterday and today for about 2 hours or so. They're not bad, just seem a little noisy sometimes. If I can get the noisiness down, I think they could be a nice set of pick-ups. Not sure if something is touching something funny in the cavity?

Last edited:

rjwilson37

Reaction score
Very Nice, Congrats! I have the 490R/498T in my Custom and Les Paul Studio HP which has the 490R/498T+ pickups, I love them. Nice high output and very versatile tone control.

integra evan

Reaction score
That is a very nice looking Custom! Wine red is great! And the 400 back i still think is a good deal.

Latest Threads