NGD Gibson LPC - Need Advice

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
Hey there MLP,

So sorry, this isn't the happiest NGD and I haven't taken any photos of my most recent LP due to some technical issues. I ordered a 2016 LPC about a week ago and it arrived last night. Physically, the guitar is fine and it came as described. However, I plugged it in and it's basically unplayable.

Whoever was the previous owner swapped all the electronics, so the guitar came with James Hetfield EMG's. I knew this ahead of time so I made sure I bought a brand new pack of 9V batteries. I took EXTREME caution when putting in the new battery when I opened the back cavity. I plug in and the first issue I had was the volume cutting in and out. While I kept playing trying to troubleshoot, eventually the volume dipped to super low output, and you can barely hear the guitar when plugged in. I tried different amps, cables, and guitars to confirm it's 100% my new LPC. I have 0 issues with any of my other guitars/amps.

I got this off Reverb and I let the seller know the situation right away. Of course he tells me how everything was perfectly fine before it shipped and how he played it before he sent it yada yada yada. I'm not saying he's lying, but if I were to guess, this guitar hadn't been played for quite sometime. It seemed almost too clean in some areas (like the fretboard), with some dust in other areas on the front/back/sides leading me to believe this sat on a rack or in a case for awhile. I'm not a forensic guitar expert but that's my guess.

So what would you guys do here? I'm not an electrician, nor am I familiar with guitar electronics and I don't intend to learn on a $3k guitar. I never swap pick-ups, especially on a CS Gibson that a lot of people buy FOR its CS Shop electronics. The wiring in the cavity is not soldered, the pick-ups were installed with soderless connectors. I checked to see if anything was loose but all the plugs seem to be plugged just fine.

I'm 50/50 on sending the guitar back. Part of me says it's an issue that can be solved by a professional, while another is telling me not to inherit some other guys mess. The seller has been willing to pay for any work done. I'm just concerned I won't be able to return the guitar IF I have work done to it and have issues a week from now. Pretty sure any repair done by a 3rd party voids the Reverb "Item not as described" claim/policy. I was in a similar situation a couple years ago with an amp I bought from Reverb and I regretfully got it repaired only to have the same issue 2 days later. FWIW, 99% of all of my Reverb sales have been positive and it's very rare for me to get something that doesn't function properly.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
File a claim with Reverb. They'll 100% have your back. No point going in any other direction, because you didn't get what you paid for, and the seller isn't willing to help. Let Reverb hash it out. That's what they are there for.

Hogie34

Reaction score
Those quick connectors that EMG uses can get oxidation on them pretty quick. Take one off at a time and use some deoxit on all connections and pots. View the diagram on the EMG website. Make sure all the connections match the diagram. Anyone can do that, even if you think you’re not capable, I promise, you can do it. If it still has issues after that, I would progress with having him pay a tech to sort it out. There isn’t a whole lot that can go wrong with the EMG pickups .

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
File a claim with Reverb. They'll 100% have your back. No point going in any other direction, because you didn't get what you paid for, and the seller isn't willing to help. Let Reverb hash it out. That's what they are there for.
Well the seller has been willing to help. How much will likely determine if it goes back or not.

jstarr823

Starr Guitar Works
Premium Member
Reaction score
Well the seller has been willing to help. How much will likely determine if it goes back or not.
Unless he forwards a partial refund directly to you immediately, I would involve Reverb. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure. Reverb can work out the partial refund details with the seller.

truckermde

Reaction score
I totally agree with J on this! Return for refund, and find another. Reverb has your back.

I think you're right about inheriting some other guy's problems...

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
Unless he forwards a partial refund directly to you immediately, I would involve Reverb. Otherwise, you're setting yourself up for failure. Reverb can work out the partial refund details with the seller.
What's considered a fair partial refund here? Reverb is going to get involved, but I'm still weighing options and figuring out how I want to approach the situation. I've already brought it up to the seller and that will be considered the date/time I reported the issue. So it's already documented for Reverb.

Last edited:

Roxy13

Reaction score
Obviously it's up to the seller to make this right for you, and yes, Reverb will have your back.

As for the "too clean" part, I always make sure a guitar is tip top clean before I send it to it's new owner, including putting on new strings.

truckermde

Reaction score
Those quick connectors that EMG uses can get oxidation on them pretty quick. Take one off at a time and use some deoxit on all connections and pots. View the diagram on the EMG website. Make sure all the connections match the diagram. Anyone can do that, even if you think you’re not capable, I promise, you can do it. If it still has issues after that, I would progress with having him pay a tech to sort it out. There isn’t a whole lot that can go wrong with the EMG pickups .
That sounds promising!

I use their stuff in my basses sometimes, and I've never had any issues.

I'll remember this tip, should I have any problems in the future.

Thanks for posting!

:cheers2:

BadPenguin

Reaction score
Personally, I despise EMG's. Played them in a few guitars thru various amps, and pulled them out within a week and replaced them with something passive. I respect those that dig them, but for me, a solid no.
Here is the wiring diagrams from EMG's site. Maybe that will help in tracing the issue.

And yes, talk to the seller and try to get the price of a set of pickups off off his price. Can't hurt to try.

MichaelAndrew3435

Reaction score
I'd trace the wiring. Something simple could make this a wonderful guitar.
If this were an amp, it'd be going back IMMEDIATELY and I wouldn't even be asking for opinions. Amps are much more finicky and have more electrical components and so much more that could go wrong. I've had dozens of guitars and have never had any issue with electronics before.

The build quality on the LPC seems fine and it's in excellent condition. The seller seems willing to do a partial refund of around $450 - $500, but that's if I swap out the electronics to Gibson pick-ups and send him the EMG's. MLP, what do you think?

radiomatts

Reaction score
I would absolutely file a claim with Reverb. This is a simple case of not being as described. Reverb woefully sides with buyers, even if they're lying (I had this experience as a seller). You are entitled to get exactly what you have paid for.

dmac in SC

Reaction score
I would absolutely file a claim with Reverb. This is a simple case of not being as described. Reverb woefully sides with buyers, even if they're lying (I had this experience as a seller). You are entitled to get exactly what you have paid for.
I wish I could agree with this, but my experiences are exactly opposite..However, my damages are limited to a couple of 100 buck pedals, not a 3K LP.

dmac in SC

Reaction score
Personally, I despise EMG's. Played them in a few guitars thru various amps, and pulled them out within a week and replaced them with something passive. I respect those that dig them, but for me, a solid no.
I too despise active pickups and also respect the opinions of those who like them... but there is absolutely nothing wrong with solderless wiring. All my Fender style guitars have it (Mojotone), and they are more quiet and perfect than they could have been otherwise. A ten minute pickup swap can also be convenient.

shupe13

Reaction score
If this were an amp, it'd be going back IMMEDIATELY and I wouldn't even be asking for opinions. Amps are much more finicky and have more electrical components and so much more that could go wrong. I've had dozens of guitars and have never had any issue with electronics before.

The build quality on the LPC seems fine and it's in excellent condition. The seller seems willing to do a partial refund of around $450 - $500, but that's if I swap out the electronics to Gibson pick-ups and send him the EMG's. MLP, what do you think?
If you like the guitar that's a great deal. EMGs are generally $200-300 and you could easily do a quality electronics swap for the amount of the refund.

BadPenguin

Reaction score
If you go with keeping it, with a partial refund from the seller over the EMG's, and go with a passive pickup system, remember to change the pots. They are 25K, you want 500K, or, if wanting a more vintage vibe, a 330K set.

Latest Threads