NGD - Gibson LP Signature "T" Translucent Ebony (2012)

LesMotDaD

Reaction score
Hello,
after being a silent reader here in the forum for a long time, I can finally write my first post (well, actually it will be two, but more about that later).

I've been playing guitar since I was 13 years old and as a teenager I always dreamed of a Gibson, but at that time I could only afford an Epiphone.
After graduation I had very little time for guitars and playing and sold almost all my gear. Now I am 32 years old, so I have not really played for almost 10 years. However, at the beginning of the year I got a real desire to play guitar again. My father is unfortunately not even 60 years terminally ill and I have noticed at the latest by that that I should not only focus on work, but on the things that bring me joy here and now!

Since I myself, however, was not quite sure whether I would find my way back into playing, I did not want to get a super expensive Gibson. After some research I found a Gibson Signature "T" in Translucent Ebony, which I liked very much. It was produced in 2012, but is in really good condition.
The biggest drawback people here always mention is the Granadillo fingerboard. However, this hardly bothers me. In the photos it still looks quite light, but in real it is pleasantly dark and had I not known it, I would have thought it was rosewood.

The guitar is just a dream! Although it is only a AA top, I like the grain very much. The playability is terrific and my joy of playing was reawakened from the first moment!

I have the guitar now for 4 weeks and am still thrilled. A few little things I have to do soon. The fretboard needs to be oiled, I want to polish it a bit and I also ordered chrome covers for the humbuckers - I think that fits the vintage look of the guitar.

However, there is one problem... a huge problem, which I really resent Gibson!
...I enjoyed the guitar so much that after only 4 weeks I already got a new 50s Standard Goldtop with P90 :) - so shortly follows the second NGD!

IMG20220512164019.jpg IMG20220512163941.jpg IMG20220512163949.jpg IMG20220512164009.jpg IMG20220512164025.jpg IMG20220512164040.jpg IMG20220512164054.jpg

Kingdom of Nye

Reaction score
Looks great!

I’ve read that granadillo is a species of rosewood. It’s also the wood they use to make marimba keys.

Did it come with a hard case?

hotshot

Reaction score
Right on, do what makes you happy. Your ticket may get punched at any time. The Lester looks great. It has the right amount of flame, some are a little "over the top". I can't wait to see the next one.

mjross

Reaction score
I have a few Signature T’s and they are fantastic Les Pauls! To be honest, when they came out I think they flew right over peoples heads. However, I think now they are getting some of the recognition they deserve.

I only had 3 problems with them. I did not like the uncovered pickups, I did not like the robo tuners and I did not care for the “T” TRC, changed them all immediately. Recently I had the “57” Classic pickups replaced on one of mine with a set of Custombuckers from a 2014 R8. Really diggin the Custombuckers!

Congrats on your choice I think you are going to really dig it! Here’s my Wine Red with the Custombuckers and HipShot tuners and a “Standard” TRC as it just looks better than the “T”, hell of a guitar.

1652449858326.jpeg

01GT Eibach

Reaction score
Although it is only a AA top, I like the grain very much ... I also ordered chrome covers for the humbuckers ...
"Only a AA top". Oh, puh-lease -- it looks awesome. Also, it looks pretty cool with the uncovered black coils. I would think seriously about keeping them uncovered, but that is just me. I would also get a plain black TRC and put the "T" one in the case for my heirs to fight over.
Back to the pickups, do you know what pickups are in there?
(Also, I am very sorry to hear about your Dad)

Last edited:

mjross

Reaction score
Don

"Only a AA top". Oh, puh-lease -- it looks awesome. Also, it looks pretty cool with the uncovered black coils. I would think seriously about keeping them uncovered, but that is just me. I would also get a plain black TRC and put the "T" one in the case for my heirs to fight over.
(Also, I am very sorry to hear about your Dad)
Mine all have 57 Classic and Classic+ pickups! If the OP’s guitar is stock it more than likely also has 57’s. To be honest I really dug the 57’s in my Wine Red, just wanted to see what the Custombuckers sound like. Not disappointed!

Also very sorry to hear about your Dad!

Last edited:

Tollie

Reaction score
Hello,
after being a silent reader here in the forum for a long time, I can finally write my first post (well, actually it will be two, but more about that later).

I've been playing guitar since I was 13 years old and as a teenager I always dreamed of a Gibson, but at that time I could only afford an Epiphone.
After graduation I had very little time for guitars and playing and sold almost all my gear. Now I am 32 years old, so I have not really played for almost 10 years. However, at the beginning of the year I got a real desire to play guitar again. My father is unfortunately not even 60 years terminally ill and I have noticed at the latest by that that I should not only focus on work, but on the things that bring me joy here and now!

Since I myself, however, was not quite sure whether I would find my way back into playing, I did not want to get a super expensive Gibson. After some research I found a Gibson Signature "T" in Translucent Ebony, which I liked very much. It was produced in 2012, but is in really good condition.
The biggest drawback people here always mention is the Granadillo fingerboard. However, this hardly bothers me. In the photos it still looks quite light, but in real it is pleasantly dark and had I not known it, I would have thought it was rosewood.

The guitar is just a dream! Although it is only a AA top, I like the grain very much. The playability is terrific and my joy of playing was reawakened from the first moment!

I have the guitar now for 4 weeks and am still thrilled. A few little things I have to do soon. The fretboard needs to be oiled, I want to polish it a bit and I also ordered chrome covers for the humbuckers - I think that fits the vintage look of the guitar.

However, there is one problem... a huge problem, which I really resent Gibson!
...I enjoyed the guitar so much that after only 4 weeks I already got a new 50s Standard Goldtop with P90 :) - so shortly follows the second NGD!

View attachment 608794 View attachment 608791 View attachment 608792 View attachment 608793 View attachment 608795 View attachment 608796 View attachment 608797

Congrats on that beauty! I too took a ten year break from 1990-2000 and getting back into the guitar again was life changing. Now I play about three hours per day. I don’t like to watch TV. I am way better than I ever was so the sky is the limit for you as well. Good luck!

I’m sorry to hear about your dad. I wish you and your family the best.

LesMotDaD

Reaction score
The pickups are the stock 57 Classic and Classic+ - I really like them atm - no need to change yet I guess

They are great for Gary Moore stuff, but also rock on Iron Maiden songs :)

Latest Threads