[NGD] Gibson Les Paul standard Gold top 2022 + plastics upgrade and soon double creams

redheart

Reaction score
Hey there, I just bought ny first brand new guitar from a physical shop after comparing it to others standard 50s and 60s, and it's this beauty of a Gold Top that caught my heart. Even though I have bought only "used" guitars in the past... buying new, it's such a priviledge really! Loved this new experience :)

I was testing the Les Paul 50s on display in gold top. I just keep coming to the 50s GT! But on that one but the tone knob was loose and kept falling so the seller called another co worker without telling me, and openned the brand new out of cardboard guitar case just in front of me.

Oh my just the smell the brand new sight and the shine of that finish, I was in awe, and I was the first to lay my eyes and hands on her! It's a trick guitar sellers must know have big effects on potential buyers! So I just took my time and tested this one out!

Felt good, action was very very low, except the nut height was a little high but hey, it's an easy setup.

I think with the right light the shiny black headstock lacquer and that almost black color rosewood board compliment so well the gold finish, it's really beautiful on it's own!

I compared it to all the Gibsons rosewood Les Paul on the walls, this one was the darkest fingerboard, and it's including all the custom shop ones!

I love it all around for the looks, the feel and the sound, but I may have read to many forums :) in the past as I changed the plastic parts for Creamtone cheap upgrade kit, it's OK, and anyway in my opinion better than the pinkish plastics that were there from factory.
I also changed the switch tip for a cataline one, and the truss cover for the vintage style.

I ordered some double cream pickups to complete the look!

I am so happy owner of a superb playable Les Paul, feels like a kid again! Thanks for reading this far :)

Cheers

Updates with the new Q-pickups and butyrate rings. Finally the DM PAF59 went on my PRS!

52341003816_ac4f6d0149_k.jpg

52341305114_4019bf8177_k.jpg

52341304824_8d42e995d3_k.jpg

52341246953_14f574b028_k.jpg

52284241402_6c250d5748_o.jpg

52284241532_0d70e58360_o.jpg

Last edited:

hotshot

Reaction score
I know how you felt. I felt the same way when I bought my first new Les Paul. Congratulations on your purchase !!!!! Isn't life grand !!!!

AJK1

Reaction score
Hey there, I just bought ny first brand new guitar from a physical shop after comparing it to others standard 50s and 60s, and it's this beauty of a Gold Top that caught my heart. Even though I have bought only "used" guitars in the past... buying new, it's such a priviledge really! Loved this new experience :)

I was testing the Les Paul 50s on display in gold top. I just keep coming to the 50s GT! But on that one but the tone knob was loose and kept falling so the seller called another co worker without telling me, and openned the brand new out of cardboard guitar case just in front of me.

Oh my just the smell the brand new sight and the shine of that finish, I was in awe, and I was the first to lay my eyes and hands on her! It's a trick guitar sellers must know have big effects on potential buyers! So I just took my time and tested this one out!

Felt good, action was very very low, except the nut height was a little high but hey, it's an easy setup.

I think with the right light the shiny black headstock lacquer and that almost black color rosewood board compliment so well the gold finish, it's really beautiful on it's own!

I compared it to all the Gibsons rosewood Les Paul on the walls, this one was the darkest fingerboard, and it's including all the custom shop ones!

I love it all around for the looks, the feel and the sound, but I may have read to many forums :) in the past as I changed the plastic parts for Creamtone cheap upgrade kit, it's OK, and anyway in my opinion better than the pinkish plastics that were there from factory.
I also changed the switch tip for a cataline one, and the truss cover for the vintage style.

I ordered some double cream pickups to complete the look!

I am so happy owner of a superb playable Les Paul, feels like a kid again! Thanks for reading this far :)

Cheers

52284241402_6c250d5748_o.jpg

52284241532_0d70e58360_o.jpg
What pickups did you order ?

nadzab

Reaction score
Beautiful. Double creams will make it perfect (unless the stock pickups are on point??)

JMP

Reaction score
Congratulations! A goldtop and a classic Fender amp. Doesn’t get better than that!

Tollie

Reaction score
Excellent choice. The darker the fretboard the better. Congrats!

redheart

Reaction score
What pickups did you order ?
I live abroad so choices are limited here unless going custom. I ordered Dimarzio paf59 set. I know all the fuss about the trademark but I just want a balance sounding unpotted PAF set in cream!
by the way the burst bucker 1 & 2 does very well the tele on steroid thing, I know I am a big tele fan! The neck pup is even clearer than a normal tele set and the bridge pup is very bright and has that twangy quality me thinks.
if the PAF59 set has little more balance between them I will be even more happy.

redheart

Reaction score
Beautiful. Double creams will make it perfect (unless the stock pickups are on point??)
I confess the original pups are already perfect for me but I want the double cream look. I know how it sounds but I really love the look of a gold top with double cream!

redheart

Reaction score
I just did the pots 50’s wiring style, and changing the internal wire which looked a little thin In my opinion. The 50’s wiring style I thing improved the clean up so well when playing with the volume knobs, I really prefer this style. It’s more natural at lower volume, it doesn’t loose much treble as before when rolling down the volume knob.

i want to do a proper grounding bus instead of the metal plate that is in there, but I guess it won’t change the hum that much. But I feel it’s a ground loop with the plate connecting all the knobs together…

but one thing I will try to upgrade is the tapper. I ordered CTS custom taper 500k’pots. We will see if it make the volume taper more usable as the Gibson pots are too steep of a volume taper I feel.

AJK1

Reaction score
I live abroad so choices are limited here unless going custom. I ordered Dimarzio paf59 set. I know all the fuss about the trademark but I just want a balance sounding unpotted PAF set in cream!
by the way the burst bucker 1 & 2 does very well the tele on steroid thing, I know I am a big tele fan! The neck pup is even clearer than a normal tele set and the bridge pup is very bright and has that twangy quality me thinks.
if the PAF59 set has little more balance between them I will be even more happy.
Yes, they’re good pickups I had a cream set in a LP I had but I sold the guitar but I have a 2003 LP Cherry plain top that I will put double creams in very soon
I’ll post some photos when I get it done
Rock on !

redheart

Reaction score
Yes, they’re good pickups I had a cream set in a LP I had but I sold the guitar but I have a 2003 LP Cherry plain top that I will put double creams in very soon
I’ll post some photos when I get it done
Rock on !
Good to know! Looking forward to see a double cream beauty! So you will DiMarzio paf59 again?

AJK1

Reaction score
Good to know! Looking forward to see a double cream beauty! So you will DiMarzio paf59 again?
It’s between 59, Air Classic and 36th
I’ve had all three before and all were good
Hard decision !
Going in this

searswashere

Reaction score
I just did the pots 50’s wiring style, and changing the internal wire which looked a little thin In my opinion. The 50’s wiring style I thing improved the clean up so well when playing with the volume knobs, I really prefer this style. It’s more natural at lower volume, it doesn’t loose much treble as before when rolling down the volume knob.

i want to do a proper grounding bus instead of the metal plate that is in there, but I guess it won’t change the hum that much. But I feel it’s a ground loop with the plate connecting all the knobs together…

but one thing I will try to upgrade is the tapper. I ordered CTS custom taper 500k’pots. We will see if it make the volume taper more usable as the Gibson pots are too steep of a volume taper I feel.
Dont these come with 50’s wiring or am i misremembering?

Latest Threads