NGD. Gibson Les Paul Standard 50's.

Neill Monty R8

Reaction score
Just received my Standard 50's at long last. After being messed about by Dawsons Music for months and then not fulfilling my order I got this guitar from the good folks at Bonners Music in Eastbourne. I'm really happy with the guitar. The set up is great and the top has a nice flame. I definitely prefer the Burstbuckers to the Custombuckers I had in my 2013 R8. The Custombuckers sounded weak and anemic. There's a nice depth and fullness to these Burstbuckers.

Neill Monty R8

Reaction score
The burstbuckers are my favorite HBs! Congratulations on the new guitar! I have a Standard 50s, and it’s a truly special LP!
Enjoy, but post some pics!
Thanks. I tried to upload a few pics but it said the file was too large for the server. I'll try again.

jbash

Reaction score
Resize the pics in whatever program you usually use to view them in on your computer

JohnnyPhatsaqs

Reaction score
Love my 50s standard. If you’re using an iPhone, you can choose the size directly from there before upload

Pop1655

Premium Member
Reaction score
If you're doing phone pics, crop it just the tiniest little bit and it'll fly. They must just be a hair over the max. You don't have to crop much at all.

KelvinS1965

Reaction score
Congratulations! I might be imagining this, but was it you that posted way back at the start of the lockdown about Dawsons prices being cheaper than Andertons, but they weren't getting stock in? Glad you got sorted in the end though regardless. :)

Some pictures would be nice too. :)

Neill Monty R8

Reaction score
Congratulations! I might be imagining this, but was it you that posted way back at the start of the lockdown about Dawsons prices being cheaper than Andertons, but they weren't getting stock in? Glad you got sorted in the end though regardless. :)

Some pictures would be nice too. :)
Yes that's correct I did say that. I only stuck with them as I thought I was getting the guitar £200 cheaper than anywhere else in the UK. But I only got an email from them 2 weeks ago saying they can't honour any order made before the new owners took over the Dawsons store chain. Apparently they went into administration in May and then found a new buyer a few weeks later. And I only got an email 2 weeks ago. But yes I'm glad everything worked out in the end.

danzego

Reaction score
Here's some pics.
Get that thing out of the case! The reflection is making the guitar look pink (which, for what it's worth, is one of my pet peeves with modern cherry sunbursts- factory paint jobs that end up with pink on the poor thing).

tigerflame

Reaction score
It doesn't look pink to me. Looks like a tomato soup red, as it should be.

Last edited:

danzego

Reaction score
It doesn't look pink to me. Looks like a tomato sound red, as it should be.
I’m not talking about the outside of the rim, I’m talking about the transition from the rim to the center. I looked at the pictures on both my MacBook and my iPhone, and I’m seeing the same thing.

I’ll say it again- get that thing out of the case and take pictures that way. It looks like it has a very nice top and that’s worth showing off. A little bit of sunlight will make for some great pics, I’ll bet!

Neill Monty R8

Reaction score
I’m not talking about the outside of the rim, I’m talking about the transition from the rim to the center. I looked at the pictures on both my MacBook and my iPhone, and I’m seeing the same thing.

I’ll say it again- get that thing out of the case and take pictures that way. It looks like it has a very nice top and that’s worth showing off. A little bit of sunlight will make for some great pics, I’ll bet!
Yes I can also see a pink hue. I'll get some better pics up soon. I took these quick to see if I could upload properly. The flame really pops when the sunlight hits it.

Duane_the_tub

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Nice guitar, congratulations!

Interesting take on the pickups. Can't say I've ever come across a set of CBs that were "weak and anemic," and definitely not any that were a step down from BBs. You must have gotten a bum set somehow.

Latest Threads