NGD Gibson Les Paul Pre-Historic Reissue 1986 Tim Shaw

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
That wouldn't surprise me Mike!

except for the plastic handle,these cases are far better than the brown "liftons" the Historics came with.The interior is properly sized for an LP or Special,no sliding around and are a lot lighter in weight....

Picture015.jpg

Walman

Reaction score
Quick question guys. I just bought this case. I noticed that some have the pink lining sleeve and others don't, mine doesn't. Is that normal or has the previous owner cut the straps and removed the sleeve. Thanks

33484-ngd-gibson-les-paul-pre-historic-reissue-1986-tim-shaw-img00103-20101207-1540.jpg

33485d1291749258-ngd-gibson-les-paul-pre-historic-reissue-1986-tim-shaw-img00104-20101207-1540.jpg

Attachments

• IMG00103-20101207-1540.jpg
    IMG00103-20101207-1540.jpg
    80.8 KB · Views: 223
  • IMG00104-20101207-1540.jpg
    IMG00104-20101207-1540.jpg
    81.9 KB · Views: 191

mokume

Reaction score
Mine is an 89 which came with the brown case pink lining & sleeve. Didn't come with Shaws as it was manufactured after they discontinued the Shaws. Antiquities resides in it. Great guitar!

Attachments

• Tres Omigos.jpg
    Tres Omigos.jpg
    81.4 KB · Views: 24

Mike60

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Quick question guys. I just bought this case. I noticed that some have the pink lining sleeve and others don't, mine doesn't. Is that normal or has the previous owner cut the straps and removed the sleeve. Thanks
View attachment 33484

View attachment 33485

most likely cut the sleeve out.I've never seen one of these without it.Even my '92 had the shroud/cover.

Walman

Reaction score

Walman

Reaction score
Mine is an 89 which came with the brown case pink lining & sleeve. Didn't come with Shaws as it was manufactured after they discontinued the Shaws. Antiquities resides in it. Great guitar!

Hey man any chance you have a closer pic of the '89 the colouring looks wonderful. Does anyone know when they discontinued the Shaws?

27sauce

Reaction score
Shaws were out and Bill Lawrence circuit boards were used in '88.

27sauce

Reaction score
I have to add that the Reissues from '89ish on would have the case that you have. An '86 would have the older case. My '88 came with the case you have, but I suspect it isn't original.

Walman

Reaction score
I have to add that the Reissues from '89ish on would have the case that you have. An '86 would have the older case. My '88 came with the case you have, but I suspect it isn't original.

Thanks again for the info Sauce. So my next question Lawrence Vs Shaw what's the verdict? I love these Shaws. Quite aggressive and mean.. Did your case by any chance have the shroud, that small issue is bothering me a little?

27sauce

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Shaws. I don't have too much experience with the Lawrence's. I would love to find a set of Shaws for mine although I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds now...

Regarding the shroud; I have 3 of these types of cases, an SG case with no shroud,don't honestly know if it ever had one, '88 RI case that has a one layer satin shroud, and my '94 Standard's case that has a satin on one side, thick pink fur on the other side.

The shroud is easy to remove. so who knows...

On a side note, I noticed some very fine scratches starting to appear on the face of my '94 Standard (ebony) a couple of years ago. The guitar is pretty naturally worn, but these scratches drove me crazy because they didn't look like they were from playing. Well it turned out that there was a small piece of a broken high E string, the little curly part at the tuner, stuck in the shroud of the case. Every time I would shut the case it would scratch my guitar! So maybe it missing on yours isn't so bad!
Marc

Walman

Reaction score
I'm a big fan of the Shaws. I don't have too much experience with the Lawrence's. I would love to find a set of Shaws for mine although I'm pretty happy with the way it sounds now...

Regarding the shroud; I have 3 of these types of cases, an SG case with no shroud,don't honestly know if it ever had one, '88 RI case that has a one layer satin shroud, and my '94 Standard's case that has a satin on one side, thick pink fur on the other side.

The shroud is easy to remove. so who knows...

On a side note, I noticed some very fine scratches starting to appear on the face of my '94 Standard (ebony) a couple of years ago. The guitar is pretty naturally worn, but these scratches drove me crazy because they didn't look like they were from playing. Well it turned out that there was a small piece of a broken high E string, the little curly part at the tuner, stuck in the shroud of the case. Every time I would shut the case it would scratch my guitar! So maybe it missing on yours isn't so bad!
Marc

Thanks Marc for the advice, for what it's worth I wouldn't worry to much about the scratches, for a 16 year old guitar one would expect that. Have you tried the silicone free version of guitar scratch remover? I think that will get rid of them, although you may have to give it a few goes. Meguiars is pretty good too. Do these Shaws ever come up on the Bay? They are pretty cool and rare it seems. It is the first time I tried them on a guitar.

Btw I love the '89 Brockburst colour one on the Bay but the price is too high IMO.

http://cgi.ebay.com/1989-Pre-Histor...06?pt=Guitar&hash=item45ebe78922#ht_500wt_922

27sauce

Reaction score
Yeah, that one has been on for a while. It is really beautiful. Have you seen Mike Slubowski's collection? Insane...Gibson Les Paul Late 70’s/Early 80’s “Pre-Reissues”: On the Road to ’59?

I havent tried anything to remove the scratches, I'll probably leave them. I was just annoyed that I couldn't figure out where they were coming from!

There are a few sets of Shaws on bay right now. They generally sell in the $300-$500 range. My experiences with them were in a Custom and a Studio Standard. the guitars were so so, playing wise, but the pickups were great.

Walman

Reaction score
Yeah, that one has been on for a while. It is really beautiful. Have you seen Mike Slubowski's collection? Insane...Gibson Les Paul Late 70’s/Early 80’s “Pre-Reissues”: On the Road to ’59?

I havent tried anything to remove the scratches, I'll probably leave them. I was just annoyed that I couldn't figure out where they were coming from!

There are a few sets of Shaws on bay right now. They generally sell in the $300-$500 range. My experiences with them were in a Custom and a Studio Standard. the guitars were so so, playing wise, but the pickups were great.

I saw his collection and his information on them which I think is the most comprehensive on the net. I have some light surface sctraches as well and was thinking of trying Gibson Restoration cream for vintage reissues which I've heard is great and removes scratches but like you said it may be better to leave it. As far as the Shaws, that is pretty pricey, they must be sought after or rare which is a good sign. The only complaint I have about my '86 is the frets are a little on the low side.

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Wow I really do pick' em. The case is mint so I thought it was complete. Never mind what can you do.... I never understood the point of that shroud anyway.

I wouldn't sweat it. I find it to be nothing but a pain, and as you say I don't know what the point of it is. Usually I just find I have to fuss around with it to get it out of the way while closing the case. I'd bet someone finally got tired of it and took it out. I don't think it will affect the value of your guitar, and casing / un-casing the guitar will just be that much easier.

Walman

Reaction score
I wouldn't sweat it. I find it to be nothing but a pain, and as you say I don't know what the point of it is. Usually I just find I have to fuss around with it to get it out of the way while closing the case. I'd bet someone finally got tired of it and took it out. I don't think it will affect the value of your guitar, and casing / un-casing the guitar will just be that much easier.

Thanks Lefty I'm going to keep it in the original case it came in which comes with the shroud that we all seem to hate. I am gong to use the minty case for my '92 Classic which had a third party case until now.

Latest Threads