NGD Gibson Les Paul Pre-Historic Reissue 1986 Tim Shaw

Walman

Reaction score
Guys the guitars look great, now that's what I call some real aging! My guitar looks new still I have some catching up to do.

floyd84

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Great score Walman :thumb: Looks like this one that I played at my local mom and pop shop. It's an 87 prehistoric 1960 reissue
P1050512.jpg

P1050513.jpg

Walman

Reaction score
Great score Walman :thumb: Looks like this one that I played at my local mom and pop shop.
It's an 87 prehistoric 1960 reissue

Damn that's a nice one too. How did it sound? How would you compare it to the modern R9's. I like mine, I wouldn't trade it for a modern R9. I don't like bb's for starters and my neck is somewhere between a 60 and a 59 profile neck which is a nice touch. The tops is unusually dark cherry as well which is all fine by me. It has just barely started to check as well around the horn and the bottom area by the control knobs.

floyd84

V.I.P. Member
Reaction score
Damn that's a nice one too. How did it sound? How would you compare it to the modern R9's. I like mine, I wouldn't trade it for a modern R9. I don't like bb's for starters and my neck is somewhere between a 60 and a 59 profile neck which is a nice touch. The tops is unusually dark cherry as well which is all fine by me. It has just barely started to check as well around the horn and the bottom area by the control knobs.

As I recall, it wasn't as bright sounding as an R9. It sounded thicker. I played it through a 1965 Fender Deluxe Reverb. The neck wasn't as thick as my R9. This one was an artist endorsee's guitar originally. I walked out with my conversion that day :D

FUS44

Reaction score
Great axes guys. I really want an 80's pre-historic. Unfortunately the one's I have found weren't players. The OP's guitar is especially awesome!

27sauce

Reaction score
Awesome guitars. My number one is this '88 Pre Historic. I also have a CR8 and the '88 is mellower, but fuller sounding. Not as bright as the R8, but also not as hot. As for specs, unlike the other LP's of the time, the RI's are 100% solid body, no Swiss cheese. The necks are all over the place, mine is thin but wide, kinda like my '62 SG Special. Interesting note about mine, it was once smashed in to three(at least) ieces with a hammer! Prior to my owning it...
DSC05388.jpg

DSC05043.jpg

DSC05039.jpg

NowGibson

Reaction score
Aged switch tip or original? The others seem to be cream/white. Nice condition,congrats.

scooter

Reaction score
Aged switch tip or original? The others seem to be cream/white. Nice condition,congrats.

Mines original and white, but thats not to say others could have been brown or aged when new.

scooter

Reaction score
Awesome guitars. My number one is this '88 Pre Historic. I also have a CR8 and the '88 is mellower, but fuller sounding. Not as bright as the R8, but also not as hot. As for specs, unlike the other LP's of the time, the RI's are 100% solid body, no Swiss cheese. The necks are all over the place, mine is thin but wide, kinda like my '62 SG Special. Interesting note about mine, it was once smashed in to three(at least) ieces with a hammer! Prior to my owning it...
DSC05388.jpg

DSC05043.jpg

DSC05039.jpg

Looks pretty good for being whacked with a hammer and in 3 pieces! How'd that happen if you dont mind me asking?

27sauce

Reaction score
Looks pretty good for being whacked with a hammer and in 3 pieces! How'd that happen if you dont mind me asking?

Well...I'm the 3rd owner, and the story goes that the 1st owner bought it new in '90 and soon thereafter his significant other pulverized it. Who knows why...
The neck was broken in 3 places, at the heel, in the middle, and at the headstock. The hammer hits to the face were actually in fortunate places. She hit the neck pickup, you can see some of the damage under the pickup ring, and the knobs, you can clearly see the head of the hammer in this pic. The original owner put it back together and replaced the wiring harness and neck pickup. I picked it up for a little over a grand. I had it refretted and my repairman cleaned up the old repairs. I've gigged it a ton, and the original repairs have held up. I'm not one to shy away from a properly repaired neck break!
DSC05053.jpg
DSC05048.jpg

LeftyF2003

Reaction score
Lovely guitar you have there! Here's some pics of my '90 / '60 RI. I've posted these before up here, but since you ask :naughty:

It has an MJ wound Duncan Screamin' Demon in the rear, and the stock PAF in the front. The seller was also nice enough to include the stock rear pickup which I have stashed away with the original (cracked) pickup rings and the front pickup cover which I removed. It is super clean with no buckle rash, etc. Nothing but a couple if small dents from a pick I'm guessing. This thing is a tone monster, and the nicest lefty Les Paul I have ever come across. It may be buried with me some day... (actually more likely left to my Son with my other oddball lefties he won't know what to do with).

Outside_sony_front_big.jpg

Attachments

• Front_Cover_Off.jpg
    Front_Cover_Off.jpg
    97.4 KB · Views: 27
  • Outside sony front.jpg
    Outside sony front.jpg
    101.8 KB · Views: 31
  • Outside sony side.jpg
    Outside sony side.jpg
    97.3 KB · Views: 25

Walman

Reaction score
Wow repair work or not, that looks beautiful!

Walman

Reaction score
Hey guys quick question, I just wanted to check i got given the OHSC. Mine is a tan Gibson USA with pick lining and lining cover.
IMG00102-20101206-2238.jpg

27sauce

Reaction score
The case looks newer. The RI's came with a brown/pink case, but it was smaller than yours and with smoother vinyl. The case you have started around '90/'91 I believe.

Walman

Reaction score
The case looks newer. The RI's came with a brown/pink case, but it was smaller than yours and with smoother vinyl. The case you have started around '90/'91 I believe.

Thanks for the info sauce, did it have the USA logo on it, and the pink lining lid? Anyone got any pics of their cases?

Latest Threads