(NGD) Gibson Les Paul Custom 1989....

PierM

Reaction score
Hey fellas!

Was searching for a 57 reissue...and (as usual) I've been hijacked by that gorgeous 1989 Les Paul Custom, which is in an incredible good shape for its age, and didn't resist. It has a gorgeous carved top. All original, no repairs, (bridge set was ordered that way, not sure if I'll keep or swap...) with Bill Lawrence HB-R/HB-L Circuit Board Pickups. Gold plating seems still all there, and frets with tonnes of life in it. Touching wood, I hope it will arrive safe. Hope it's a keeper because I love how it looks!!

For now I'll tease some pictures from the seller, then I'll be posting my own photos as soon as it arrives at its new house...:)

EDIT: the beast arrived and I'm speachless! Love everything about this custom. It's in incredible good shape, just couple of mini dings and a lovely vintage'ish patina. Did a black light inspection, no repair, no crack, nothing wrong. All original, pups, pots, caps and everything. The binding is gorgeous! Gold plating it's still there.. Frets are still in great shape. The previous owner for sure used this guitar, but with a gentle touch (because fret wear is minimum) and took care of it.
The neck is definitely the typical Les Paul Custom rounder '50 profile, but a bit less fat than my other Customs. Very comfy. Truss rod looks like has been done yesterday; very soft, works great. Managed to get my setup in a bunch of minutes, super low action and .004" relief, and no buzz. Very soft playing, softer than any other Gibson I have. Could be the T6 tailpiece that does reduce the break angle to very minimum angles. Still not sure if I keep the T6, but I like the look and the fine tuning option. Fretboard is a beautiful pitch black ebony.

Oh well, I shut up and drop some picture of it!

Last edited:

LPMarshall Hack

Reaction score
Hey fellas!

Was searching for a 57 reissue...and (as usual) I've been hijacked by that gorgeous 1989 Les Paul Custom, which is in an incredible good shape for its age, and didn't resist. It has a gorgeous carved top. All original, no repairs, (bridge set was ordered that way, not sure if I'll keep or swap...) with Bill Lawrence HB-R/HB-L Circuit Board Pickups. Gold plating seems still all there, and frets with tonnes of life in it. Touching wood, I hope it will arrive safe. Hope it's a keeper because I love how it looks!!

For now I'll tease some pictures from the seller, then I'll be posting my own photos as soon as it arrives at its new house...:)

I have an 89 just like it...congrats!

shupe13

Reaction score
Let me know what you think of the tail piece. I love the look but being a top wrapper, I don’t think I could use it myself.

Donal

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
Premium Member
Reaction score
WOW, Another beauty Pier :thumb:

DarrellV

just Livin' the Dream....
Premium Member
Reaction score
Way to go Pier! :cheers:

You know I will never fault anyone for loving some 80's goodness!

Some weird, some experimental, but generally a pretty active time for Gibson.

Like to hear your thoughts on the BL pickups.

endial

Reaction score
Geez. Somebody's on a roll.
Damn, that thing is sweet Pier. I think you'll learn to love the TP-6 tailpiece, and to me it looks cool, and kinda celebrates the guitar's era. Give it a minute and I think you'll dig it. Had one on an E2 Explorer and I loved it.

Veeing Fly

Reaction score
My 89 LPC is my baby, and if you enjoy yours half as much as I do mine, you'll be 1 happy guy. See how the diamond inlays touch the A and B string tuners, and the truss rod cover? That's a tell-tale sign that it's an 89 or a 90. I'm dying to hear how the neck is, as mine has the slimmest neck 've ever played on a Les Paul. I want a report on my desk first thing in the morning!

PierM

Reaction score
My 89 LPC is my baby, and if you enjoy yours half as much as I do mine, you'll be 1 happy guy. See how the diamond inlays touch the A and B string tuners, and the truss rod cover? That's a tell-tale sign that it's an 89 or a 90. I'm dying to hear how the neck is, as mine has the slimmest neck 've ever played on a Les Paul. I want a report on my desk first thing in the morning!
When I asked the seller about the neck he said "...on the chunky side, more a 50' profile". Honestly a slim profile would have been a deal breaker for my taste, but he didn't know that, so I'm fairly confident he had been realistic in such description...:)

Geez. Somebody's on a roll.
Damn, that thing is sweet Pier. I think you'll learn to love the TP-6 tailpiece, and to me it looks cool, and kinda celebrates the guitar's era. Give it a minute and I think you'll dig it. Had one on an E2 Explorer and I loved it.
Yeah, I've no problems with that tailpiece, visually. I quite like it! If fine tuners are not scratching my wrist while playing, I think will stay there. :)

Thanks guys, I'll be posting more news soon...

Latest Threads