NGD Gibson Explorer B-2

Buffalo

Reaction score
And yet another disapointment by Gibson.

Got the 2019 Explorer B-2 delivered today. I already had reduced expectations since the 2019 Flying V B-2 arrived yesterday. But this is even worse. Action was a ludicrous 9 mm on the high e string at the 12th fret. The bridge poles where maxed out to lift it. Why this was the case i found out while doing a fresh setup. Somebody lost a screw beneath the bridge pickup so it was 5 mm higher then the frets. After i removed the screw beneath the pickup it came down, but not far enogh to be lower then the frets. Measured from the pole pieces it's still 2mm above fret level. I took a look at the flying V B-2 which should be similar, but there the neck pickup is 2-3 mm beneath fret level.
20200519_201506_05.jpg

With the bridge poles maxed out and a very high angle the string barely passes the pickup
GibsonExplorerB2MaxAngel.jpg

GibsonExplorerB2Body.jpgGibsonExplorerB2Headstock.jpg

I have a zoom call tomorrow with the gibson virtual tech support. I'm curious what they're gonna say ....

I always wanted to copmplete my Gibson collection with a SG and a ES, but i'm in doubt buying any new Gibson beside another Les Paul.

Not so happy new guitar day ...

Attachments

zombiwoof

Reaction score
Are you saying there isn't enough depth to the pickup routs to lower the pickups any more, or do you just need longer mounting screws?. Obviously you have to sort out that messed-up tape wrapped around the bobbin to get it inside the ring.
Al

Buffalo

Reaction score
Are you saying there isn't enough depth to the pickup routs to lower the pickups any more, or do you just need longer mounting screws?. Obviously you have to sort out that messed-up tape wrapped around the bobbin to get it inside the ring.
Al
The depth of the cavity is the problem because the screw pushes up the pickup ring.

Buffalo

Reaction score
Had a zoom call with the Gibson support. They looked at the issue, aplologized and told me to return the guitar.
So i just shipped it back.

Reactions: tzd

paruwi

Kraut-Rocker
Reaction score
maybe you get more replies if you had posted this and your other thread in the correct section ?

1590004830513.png

Skit

Witch Doctor
Reaction score
That sucks. Spend a little more money and get a better guitar. If I were going to buy a Gibson I would have bought something like this before I bought a lower end Gibson. This one already has a couple dings so it's already broken in. :naughty: It's not mine but if I didn't have a korina V I would think about grabbing something like this.

Last edited:

JohnnyPhatsaqs

Reaction score
Better then the one before ... but still not what i expected. I'm afraid that the only Gibsons that come close to my expectations are the HP & custom shop LPs ...
I hate to hear that. Try as I might, I can’t find anything wrong with my 50s Standard. I think I will quit looking.

Buffalo

Reaction score
I hate to hear that. Try as I might, I can’t find anything wrong with my 50s Standard. I think I will quit looking.
Maybe it's just my bad luck, but of the 3 Gibsons i've recently bought non was flawless. I'm actually playing my sons $100 bucks Harley Benton Single Cut more often then i play one of my Gibsons. I'm afraid to say this, but i think they'll end up as Wallart or Collector items. They're too beautiful, but also too flawed to be played ... Like a Ferrari or Lamborghini ...

Buffalo

Reaction score
Too flawed to be played? How
It's just not fun to play'em. Don't know why. It's only fun to play'em from time to time, but they're not smiling at me when i come home and say let's play. Don't know why but the damn $100 HB i've bought for my son attracts me more to play it then each of the Gibsons. Maybe it's because i dont have to care about a $100 Guitar as much about as one for 3.5 grand like the HP.

JohnnyPhatsaqs

Reaction score
It's just not fun to play'em. Don't know why. It's only fun to play'em from time to time, but they're not smiling at me when i come home and say let's play. Don't know why but the damn $100 HB i've bought for my son attracts me more to play it then each of the Gibsons. Maybe it's because i dont have to care about a $100 Guitar as much about as one for 3.5 grand like the HP.
You know, I kinda get that. As mentioned, I picked up a new 50s Standard. Gorgeous guitar, plays great. But the ones that I play all the time are my EVH and now this Jackson I just got. I wonder....dare I say it here...if I’m just more of a Strat type guy?

though I do reach for my LP Jr everyday.

efstop

Premium Member
Reaction score
I love my used 2018 Explorer (Antique Natural, Burstbuckers) but the damn case is so heavy and it's such a struggle to lift it out and then maneuver it flat that I just... don't.
It's not flawless but I didn't expect that.

stephan_l

Reaction score
Maybe my 2019 Explorer had the same problem.....to much pickup cable. The employee solved this quick.....Living in germany i asked Gibson europe how this is even possible. The answer from mother USA: at this stage of progress on the line there is no chance QC can find out.......

Buffalo

Reaction score
Maybe my 2019 Explorer had the same problem.....to much pickup cable. The employee solved this quick.....Living in germany i asked Gibson europe how this is even possible. The answer from mother USA: at this stage of progress on the line there is no chance QC can find out.......

If the cavity would be deep enough to fit the lowered pickup and the wire it would be a good guitar, but mine didn't even fit the pickup when it's all the way up.

Latest Threads