NGD Gibson Custom 1959 Iced Tea Burst (R9)

Dan7

Reaction score
Hey all! Bought a “new” R9 from GC yesterday. The iced tea burst on it stunned me. It looks almost like a darker lemon burst / dirty lemon.

Brought it home and was surprised at a few things. 1) it’s a 2020 when I thought it would’ve been a 2022. 2) there’s a sizable nick/pit on the fretboard. Are these issues that I should return / exchange the guitar for?

Attachments

• 59E4406D-FF8B-49B0-AD22-2F69564D252C.jpeg
    59E4406D-FF8B-49B0-AD22-2F69564D252C.jpeg
    123.8 KB · Views: 76

BDW60

Reaction score
Not all new LPs hanging in a store are current model year. And no, if that thing feels and sounds as good as it looks I wouldn’t be the least bit concerned about the fretboard thing.

But if you don’t love the important stuff, return it.

Neffco

Silver Supporting Member
Reaction score
That would bug me more than buckle rash Or a few scratches. Sweet top though.

1allspub

Reaction score
I would probably need to feel (and see) in person that nick to make a proper judgment. That said, it's totally up to you really. Regarding the year... totally wouldn't care. Just been hanging around GC for a while (which may explain the fretboard issue).

Anyway, your money, your guitar, your choice.

Great color and nice top though. HNGD if you keep it!

mudface

Shaw Bucker
Double Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I hardly feel the fretboard when i play,...and that seems unlikely to feel in that location around the bass strings,...the guitar on its own looks sweet. I wouldn't sweat that little dent,... but that's me.

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
It wouldn't personally bother me, nor would the fact that it's 2020 and not 2022 model, if I really loved the guitar. If you didn't get any money off due to the fretboard divet maybe you could go back to them and see if they will give you a partial refund to keep it? I doubt they would offer much though.

Roshy Boy

Reaction score
Beautiful top. I'd keep it. I just bought a 2021 R9 that isn't perfect, but it feels great and clocks in
at 7 lb 15 oz. I've never had such a light LP. Plays great. The minor imperfections just add to the look and feel. When I picked it up, I knew it was coming home

mjross

Reaction score
If it plays well you’re good to go! My tech could make that issue hardly noticeable. You’re going to end up with a few blemishes no matter how hard you try, some not even your fault. That‘s a looker, congrats!

Dan7

Reaction score
I sat down with it for about 3 hours today and didn’t notice the divot in the fretboard. I made it a point to attack that area - bends, vibratos, slides - and I couldn’t feel it.

I had a 2019 60th anniversary before and this feels way better. I just don’t get how the “same” guitar can feel so different. This baby is 8.6 lbs. The neck feels superb. The notes ring out so sweetly. I see no issues. Maybe it’s the honeymoon phase, maybe not.

I didn’t ask about taking some money off for the fretboard, but I should give it a shot! $100 back could always go towards a new amp :)

Here’s another shot that captures its beauty more accurately. No flash, only standard room lighting.

Attachments

• 8AF3BF8A-613B-494C-A1F1-DD29133C9E42.jpeg
    8AF3BF8A-613B-494C-A1F1-DD29133C9E42.jpeg
    130.7 KB · Views: 40

BluesBreaker78

Reaction score
I didn’t ask about taking some money off for the fretboard, but I should give it a shot! $100 back could always go towards a new amp :)

Here’s another shot that captures its beauty more accurately. No flash, only standard room lighting.
Exactly. And If you've decided to keep the guitar regardless then you have nothing to lose. It's a lovely top, really nice.

Mesamay2003

Reaction score
I would try to get a bit of a discount for the fretboard issue, a good tech could fix that with some rosewood dust and superglue very quickly to where it would be barely noticeable, if at all. Nice guitar!!

integra evan

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar.
Wonder how that divot happened. I would think that the Gibson Custom Shop would have filled the hole at the factory if it left the factory like that.

Kenshi

Reaction score
Nice looking guitar.
Wonder how that divot happened. I would think that the Gibson Custom Shop would have filled the hole at the factory if it left the factory like that.
With GC's relatively liberal return policy, and the fact it's two years old, it's likely it's be returned (at least once). Still a good looking axe, and I would see if the OP can leverage some partial refund (with the threat of a total return). It's worth a shot.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
I think I wet myself...

Fk... thats a nice guitar....If that divot bugs you, sell it to me....

the serial # gives up the year....What did those dummies say it was ?

Dan7

Reaction score
I think I wet myself...

Fk... thats a nice guitar....If that divot bugs you, sell it to me....

the serial # gives up the year....What did those dummies say it was ?
The dude tried saying it was a 2022 after I had saw the “9 0XX”. He said it with so much conviction that I thought I was wrong about the serial notation.

Haha I’ll let you know if I do. I’m still looking for my “perfect” one. Might be a futile attempt since this one is already damn good.

Sct13

Platinum Supporting Member
Reaction score
Ah…. I see …

Latest Threads